August 2018 30 Day Rule/focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 31, 2018.

?

What's your choice of an adjustable for August?

1. Fatboy

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. Slim

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Black Beauty

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Toggle

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. Schick "M"

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  6. More than one

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  7. Something else

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  8. Dedicated Dark Sider - straights all the way!

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  9. Arko with whatever I use.

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  10. Cookies. They're real. We saw them. There's proof.

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Kind of like an "October Surprise"?

FaceScraper, PLAla, clint64 and 2 others like this.
  2. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Been there, done that. When I started I would get razor burn all over my face. I would get a soda from the fridge and hold it to my face. For me that went away when I got more consistent with pressure and angle.
    Better luck tomorrow!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

3. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome.

A couple of simple things that helped for me were 'cold water' shaves, and rinsing the alum off after a few minutes.

Enjoy your journey!

4. Paul Turner

Next 4 days will be soaps....which ones are up in the air, but I hope to get a couple days out of the Jeeves BR.

5. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Saturday morning August 18 - T400 and Rockwell products

Rockwell 6s on plate #4 / Nacet ( 3 )
    Vlasta's Alpha T-400 prototype with 24mm silvertip knot
    Jason's "The Dry Dock" lather bowl
    Rockwell Barbershop cream
    Alum and Osage Rub

Today I used the Rockwell cream. It was much easier to load than the soap, because the 3.5" tub allowed me to dip the entire brush knot in for a quick swirl to pick up cream. After that it was easy to whip up a good lather in the large lather bowl with a bit of water added.

These Rockwell products aren't bad. Quality natural ingredients were used to make them. However, they are vegan and I am just not convinced they have as much slickness, cushion and postshave conditioning as The Fat that I used yesterday or my other favourite tallow and lanolin soaps and creams. I am an apex predator; I am not afraid to eat meat and then to use byproducts from my rightful prey to make my shaving soap slicker...

The shave wasn't as good as yesterday. Two passes to a near BBS again, but today the alum was warm on my neck and several spots on my face. Nothing bad enough to require a dose of witch hazel, and the Osage Rub cooled everything down, but not as nice as yesterday's shave with The Fat. And I have this sneaking suspicion that at least part of the difference was the soap...

I must admit I am also not a huge fan of this "barbershop" scent. I like the leather but something else in it just grates in my nose. Add in the wimpy little tin the soap comes in, and I suspect I will be PIFing the Rockwell soap and cream out of my den. They just don’t make the cut for me.

6. Paul Turner

Is there too much "powder" in that particular barbershop scent?

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Excellent report John. I tend to prefer tallow based products as well. No reason to keep using products you don't enjoy.

8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

August 18, 2018
    Karve E plate
    Feather
    Shavemac D01 3 Band
    AOS Ocean Kelp
    Myrsol Antesol

[​IMG]

Up early and into the office this morning to complete some client sales tax returns before running errands. I did take the time for a shave before starting off. ;) Back to the Karve E plate for the final shave on the Feather blade. A nice smooth 3 pass shave. I missed the baby due to my lower neck. I have found that I get better shaves on my neck with SE razors in general. I hope everyone has a great Saturday.

9. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great B&W, Clint!

10. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    August Focus
    [​IMG]

In keeping with this month's theme, I have chosen to use my Merkur Progress set to 4.5
    New soap today. The I Coloniali tidbits, which remained in the bowl after yesterday's shave are now discarded.
    Today's soap is a sample, graciously sent to me (and anyone else who signed up for it) by the good folks at Hendrix Classics & Co.
    This is their Barbershop scent.
    The vegan soap was soft and pliable. I was able to smear the sample into a small wooden shaving bowl.
    Loading was also easy.

The scent is almost a dead-ringer for Mike's Barbershop, so if you are familiar with that soap,
    you know the scent of this soap.
    Really nice soap with everything we wet shavers are looking for in a shave soap.
    Well done Hendrix Classics & Co. :happy096:
    The Personna 74 made its farewell appearance today. Still a good razor, but felt the slightest touch of irritation on my neck and that was my signal to end our shaving relationship. 19 shaves. Not shabby.
    Tomorrow, I have a Schick Krona-Plus locked and loaded in the Merkur, all preset to "5".
    Good finish with the Floïd Blue.

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Jim

Norcalnewb, PLAla and jluc like this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Wonderful photo and report Joseph. Great run with the Personna 74.

13. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Beautiful photo and great report, Joseph!

14. Screwtape

It doesn't seem too powdery so much as too heavy or cloying to me. Almost catches in the back of my throat like stale tobacco smoke somehow. The scent is described as containing leather, neroli, anise, cedar and lilac. And the result is a rather heavy scent that just seems a little off to me.

15. Screwtape

Thanks, Clint. The other thing is that I have so many products in my inventory, if I decide I don't much like one, it will probably just be shoved to the back of the line -- for about 20 years. Might as well pass it on instead to someone else who might enjoy it.

16. Screwtape

Great simple B&W photo, Clint!

Beautiful photo, Joseph. So the soap and the blade both died on nearly the same day... I would say 19 shaves was a very respectable run for any blade.

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you John.

18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thanks for the compliments gents. :)

19. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Well, I am over a thousand posts behind. Damn. I’m sort of tagging along. Maybe I can jump back in next month. Hope you all are well.

20. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Terrific! The Fat on Fridays is a staple of my week.

Nice avatar update, Rick!

Welcome aboard! Glad to have you along.

Nice setup and photo, Jim!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.