August 2018 30 Day Rule/focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Jul 31, 2018.

?

What's your choice of an adjustable for August?

1. Fatboy

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  2. Slim

8 vote(s)
    24.2%
  3. Black Beauty

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  4. Toggle

1 vote(s)
    3.0%
  5. Schick "M"

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  6. More than one

10 vote(s)
    30.3%
  7. Something else

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
  8. Dedicated Dark Sider - straights all the way!

6 vote(s)
    18.2%
  9. Arko with whatever I use.

5 vote(s)
    15.2%
  10. Cookies. They're real. We saw them. There's proof.

12 vote(s)
    36.4%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

I have always been very careful. I wash the blade under the tap and then hold it parallel to the towel (flat on my hand) and gently drag it toward myself (no slicing) to dry it.

I never thought about dulling the edge! I'll just be rinsing from now on, and cleaning the razor upon each blade change!

Drygulch, RyX, PLAla and 8 others like this.
  2. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I read on the Blackland razors website letting the razor dry with the handle loose prevents corrosion. I don't know how true this is but it's something I've always done.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Drygulch, RyX, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  3. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Most all DE blades are coated in PTFE (Teflon) to help them cut smoothly. Wiping will remove the soft PTFE coating. Wiping doesn't help. Rinse the razor in hot water, it will heat the metal. Shake dry and let the heat do its thing.

Drygulch, jtface, RyX and 9 others like this.
  4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

This advice makes some sense. See above.

Drygulch, jtface, Norcalnewb and 7 others like this.
  5. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Yup. Made sense to me, allowing room for air to circulate between the top cap, blade and base plate.

Drygulch, jtface, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  6. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

B for all my razors except the solid brass Karve. I disassemble the razor and wipe it dry after each use.

Drygulch, jtface, jtspartan and 8 others like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

A, I let the blade air dry, no wiping. I hand strop a few times before reloading the blade.

Drygulch, jtface, jtspartan and 8 others like this.
  8. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Thank you, gentlemen!

Jim @jluc, I ditched my crutches about two weeks ago now in favour of a cane. I am now up to using the cane as a light support when out and about but limping around the house a fair amount totally unsupported. As a side effect, I can now shave once again while standing at my sink instead of sitting awkwardly scrunched in front of it on my clothes hamper / stool. Makes a huge difference to how much I enjoy my shaves and therefore how often I do them and whether I want to even talk about them. :)

Perry @PLAla, I find the PAL adjustable and the Supply Co V.2 Single Edge have a very similar shaving angle that requires the handle closer to the face than is normal with a Schick. And yes it is definitely a narrower sweetspot -- a couple degrees too shallow and you get nothing. But if you hit it right, the beard reduction is extremely efficient.

Drygulch, jtface, Keithmax and 9 others like this.
  9. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great news, John!

Drygulch, RyX, Norcalnewb and 2 others like this.
  10. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Drygulch, Norcalnewb, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  11. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

To me, there is reasonable self-discipline and then there is fanaticism. Doing three Rules back to back to get your technique ingrained in your muscle memory is reasonable self-discipline. Visiting London and not visiting the great iconic London shave shops for fear that you will pickup new soap(s) and might then be tempted to break your Rule, on the other hand...

Oh yeah ... And you're going to visit TOBS or one of the other shrines to traditional British shaving and leave with ONE soap or cream? I think you're going to be in there a very long time sniffing samples to get your choice narrowed down... :)

I usually go with B. And the only time I dry off a stainless steel blade is just before I dump it in the blade bank, when I am no longer concerned about wiping the coatings off the edge. Carbon steel blades are different because they have no coatings and can rust.

Drygulch, jtface, Keithmax and 8 others like this.
  12. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Sounds about right, John. I had better luck with the Supply injector that @PickledNorthern let me borrow for a while. Efficient is right. The feel is so different than the Schicks. It's almost silent when working correctly. I used the Supply recently but the PAL Adjustable probably two years ago (or more) so I'm confident my technique is better now than back then.

13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

:signs011: @jtface get some cool stuff, if you want, and save it for later. It keeps - if not, we're all in trouble! It is fun to talk with the staff in the shops. I unexpectedly picked up a few free Geo F Trumper samples in doing so.

14. RyX

RyX DoH!

Pretty much this. Depending on if the soap is a clingy type, open and rinse. When I change blades I give them a Dawn dish soap & toothbrush scrub.

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

15. RyX

RyX DoH!

Excellent. Delayed gratification FTW!

Tapatalk Via Kyocera

16. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I do B, but also shake off excess water and sometimes wipe the residue off without getting near the edge. I will scrub with a toothbrush when changing blades.

17. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

August 21st
    Razor: Timeless .95 SC
    Blade: Feather New Hi Stainless (3)
    Brush: Maseto Finest
    Pre-shave: Stirling Mentholated
    Soap: Soap Commander Fortitude
    Lucky Tiger face tonic
    AS: Wholly Kaw Merchant of Tobacco

Tobacco Tuesday!

Awesome shave from some excellent gear. I'm clean, smooth and smelling good!

I think I'm going to snuggle with the wife on the couch.

Have a great night! [​IMG]

18. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I'm back. She fell asleep while I was shaving.

19. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great shave Jim. The Timeless is really a fantastic looking razor.

20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Clint.

Drygulch, FaceScraper, PLAla and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.