September 2018 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Sep 1, 2018.

?

Single Edge Plans?

1. Gems baby! 1912, 1914, Lather Catcher

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  2. Some more Gems baby! OCMM, Clog Pruf, you know.....the Micromatics.

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  3. Schick Injectors baby! Click 'em and stick 'em to your face for that close shave.

12 vote(s)
    32.4%
  4. Shavettes baby! Because I'm a boss like that!

6 vote(s)
    16.2%
  5. Dark Side baby! Straights. The original single edge.

9 vote(s)
    24.3%
  6. Gonna eat cookies until my ears bleed. Mmmmmm.....cookies.

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  7. Nope. Not playing with the SE's. I'm cool enough I'll stick with DE!

8 vote(s)
    21.6%
  8. Buzz off Mr. Poll Man. I don't have time for your foolishness.

4 vote(s)
    10.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

The End of Summer! But not of great shaves!!

The Cartel welcomes you to the September 2018 edition of the 30 Day Rule and Focus thread. August was a lot of fun as usual, and we saw a number of new members join our little band to begin their evolution into experts! I appreciate everyone who shares their knowledge and experience and helps make this the most welcoming, knowledgeable, and definitely entertaining group on the web. But school’s back, the days are noticeably shorter and, well, it’s September. That means Labor Day weekend right on top of us, then settling into the routine of autumn. It also means it’s SEptember!!! Single Edge September has arrived and it’s the month we dig into our dens for the Gems, Schicks and all other single edge razors in the collection. Of course, shavettes would qualify as well along with Artist Club and…..the original single edge…..those traditional straights!! For those of you who don’t own a single edge razor now’s the time to find your first! Or, just grab whatever razor you want to get better with and run that Rule or Focus!

In addition to the SE razor theme, it’s also Stirling September! Pair those SE razors with your favorite Stirling soaps, aftershaves etc. to make it an even more enjoyable month. Never tried Stirling soaps? Now’s the time. It’s a great month to get some samples and figure out a new favorite or two, whether you’re new to Stirling or an old confirmed Stirling lover! Of course and as always, themes are suggestions only and are NOT required as part of the month’s festivities. You’re totally free to grab whatever you want and join in. We’re focused on improving technique first of all, and all the rest is just added pleasure.

If you're new to traditional shaving, or to TSD, WELCOME!!! Jump in and let the friendliest and most knowledgeable bunch of people you'll ever meet help you along. Ask questions, show us your gear. There's nothing about shaving we don't like to see and hear. Even if you are just starting with a VDH razor and soap, we value you along with everyone else and we want you to become a part of this great community. It won't take long for the enablers within each of us to have you loaded down with razors, soaps, cremes, brushes and enough blades to sink the Titanic. Including the chunk of wood that Leo could have fit on with Rose.

As one of the charter members of this thread, from January 2015, I can attest to the ability of the 30 Day Rule to build basic technique that provides the basis for the use of the 30 Day Focus to sharpen skills and develop new skills altogether. Our quest is, as always, to be able to develop technique so solid and strong that we can overcome any tools that may be at hand. The great overarching philosophy is "Technique Trumps Tools." The only caveat....."unless the tools are defective." One can't use a broken blade or a razor that won't lock the blade down and expect success.

My personal mission has always been to push the limits of the tools, and my skills, to find out what, if anything, is defective. Most of you have remained sane and found instead new and wonderful ways to shave. Some, perhaps unfortunately, have followed my lead lately, but hey, no pain no gain. At the same time, practice makes perfect, and we have already learned how bad equipment can be and still produce a great shave with proper technique.

Now, on to the facts in the words of the one, the only, @Bama Samurai : (Please rise) (Take off your hats) (Seriously, do I have to mention pay attention?) (Ok, be good and we’ll hand out extra cookies)

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Any thematic elements are up to each individual. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a cookie and meet the crew. If this is old hat, welcome back, and let's rock another month out.

Rules are the same people.
    1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.

2. Old Members always welcome. (Maybe I should phrase that “experienced” members)
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. Cookies are for everyone. Share with your neighbors. Don't be a hoarder.

Let's rock out a great SEptember everyone!! Now.....let's get it started with a group hug!!!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

brit, Edison Carter, Paul76 and 11 others like this.
  2. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I’m in! Both for Single Edge September and the Stirling focus.
    Here’s most of my SEptember arsenal:
    597BAD23-EA33-4EB0-BD3A-5C2346BAA3A7.jpeg
    In addition to my old standbys the E3, G4 ‘66’, Gem Jr and PAL InjectoMatic, I have the new to me MMOC (Graciously PIFed by @Linuxguile) and the cased E2 I just bought a few weeks ago. My I1 (not pictured) will be used if I need a shave at the lake.
    I’ll try to use at least one Stirling product each day as well.
    I’m at a hotel out of town this weekend, but packed the E3 and a Stirling balm to start the month on focus. Looking forward to a great September!

Edison Carter, Paul76, RyX and 14 others like this.
  3. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Great selection of gear! Should make for a great month.

4. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

September gear.JPG
    Well there you have it. My SEptember collection of gear. Razors are, from left to right, Type M Schick, 1912 Gem, 1914 Gem, Micromatic Clog-Pruf (new to me), Micromatic Open Comb, Type E Schick. A few Stirling soaps to play with for the month as well as the Barbershop A/S that I won for my Shavey award. Brushes will be the usual rotation along with my newest acquistion (assuming the final NB18 involved falls as planned).
    I'll start off with carbon blades from CVS and switch over to Treet Super Carbons when they arrive. They're making their way through the mail. And, of course, Schick injector blades. No stainless single edge blades for the Gems though. Carbon baby. All the way.

Edison Carter, Paul76, RyX and 14 others like this.
  5. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I'm in for a Stirling/Slant SEptember. I'll be using an ATT S1. I haven't used it consistently since I joined up with the 30DC this last March. I'm looking forward to another month of fun!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Edison Carter, RyX, Keithmax and 12 others like this.
  6. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Wow! Nice assortment of gear for the month, gentlemen!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

7. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

I'm in for September although I'm not sure what I will be doing yet. I only have one Stirling product -- Naked and Smooth soap. That's their unscented version, which could get rather boring over a whole month... Of course, now that I'm wiping out of NB'18, I could get some others. (I'm thinking maybe Bay Rum, Iced Pineapple and Vanilla Bean Espresso).

For the rest, I have a full set of Damaskeene onwards Gem SEs but am not wildly fond of any of them. I do like my injectors, so I expect I will rotate between Schick E2, G, J, M (which I have never used actually), PAL adjustable and Supply Co V.2 interchangeable.

Edison Carter, Paul76, RyX and 13 others like this.
  8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Bay Rum and Iced Pineapple - two of the best. I haven't tried the Vanilla Bean yet.

9. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Carbon steel rocks....

It is always SE month in my world. I will take time to post some here this month along with TOST. If your one of the lucky TOSTers feel free to post a few there too!!

Edison Carter, RyX, Keithmax and 9 others like this.
  10. jtface

jtface Well-Known Member

Beautiful looking SEptember arsenal!

All of these GEM models make me seriously regret selling my 1912 for £5.50 recently. I am seriously going to have to procure another one from the old fleabay. The Ever Ready 1912 Made in Englands are plentiful razors, and they can be found in great condition in cases!

11. brit

brit in a box

i am in for september with stirling executive man,gentleman , and vanilla sandalwood...maybe a shick e 2 shave or two...lemon chill on a warm day ........and my usual mix of crats , rockets and techs.....

RyX, Keithmax, Linuxguile and 10 others like this.
  12. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Straight focus with Stirling. Really looking forward to this month! And by the way, my ears bleed from the @PickledNorthern curse, so there is no need for cookies. Besides, may I remind you that other than the cartel sponsored propaganda cookies used in pictures, there are no cookies. I’m even starting to question if there are cookies on the Darkside. After 30 days with the straight, I guess we’ll find out. I’m not optimistic. Viva la revolution!

13. BaylorGator

I think Iced pineapple is a seasonal, John. I don’t mean to be an enabler:signs136:, but you may want to pull the trigger sooner rather than later on that one.

14. BaylorGator

FYI, I just posted a awesome new shaver kit as a PIF in THIS THREAD. One of the requirements is to join the 30 DC and post your shave results. If you’ve joined the 30 DC in the last month or so, you are still eligible, so feel free to sign up. If you don’t want the PIF, feel free to post something funny there anyway...

Last edited: Sep 1, 2018
    brit, Edison Carter, RyX and 10 others like this.
  15. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Very nice, and generous PIF, Randy! That's a delightful setup for someone to start their DE journey.

Edison Carter, RyX, Screwtape and 7 others like this.
  16. FaceScraper

Nice variety of SE's, Jason...although you're a little light on GEMs...:D

17. FaceScraper

Nice "family photo", Neal! Very nice selection to spend the month with.

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I am in for SE September. I will use my Gem Damaskeene each weekend and rotate through my modern SE razors during the week.

19. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Very nice!

20. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I'm in for September, with the main goal being to make a habit of the "cheeks first, THEN chin" that I began at the end of August. And in this month especially, I'll try to get in some quality Stoylin usage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.