The Straight Razor Acquisition Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 3, 2017.

1. picturerock

picturerock Well-Known Member

That'll clean up and hone up. You'll have a classic beauty, and you'll have the satisfaction of knowing you brought that one back from the brink. You spent your money well.

2. KimNB

KimNB Active Member

Found these at an antique store. Both are (or began as) 5/8 by the look of them. The one with the gold coloured scales says Solingen and Meteor Razor Works. I bought it the Meteor just for the scales as the blade looks pretty rough although maybe not beyond restoration. It will clean for show at least. The Boker looks to have some potential. Both appear to be half hollow blades. I don't know much about straights and would welcome any thoughts and comments.
    40391302_10155549701170951_6467120398629601280_n.jpg 40492164_10155549701155951_8659979491348578304_n.jpg 40432706_10155549701065951_4639266649134858240_n.jpg 40521115_10155549701045951_295971586551316480_n.jpg 40504570_1079181088931093_2654742225077927936_n.jpg

AGHisBBS, Keithmax, TestDepth and 6 others like this.
  3. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

They both look like they would be easily restorable to me, but I'm no expert. I love that Boker!

4. KimNB

KimNB Active Member

The Boker is nice. Just picked them up on a whim The Meteor has a wavy edge from poor care and some loss of width already so it may be done but I will have someone look at both for sure. The surface rust on the Meteor should clean up easily at least and it will display nicely if nothing else. Also picked up 40's Rocket (I think) and a Fat Handle Tech, both dirty but in great condition.

5. BearCWY

Well congrats on your finds!

picturerock and KimNB like this.
  6. BearCWY

Well I just purchased another razor today. hope it's as good a shaver as I've heard. I think it's a fairly rare razor as I don't see them come up for sale very often. It's a Rigoletto straight razor German steel and says Boston Mass. The eBay listing says Shave Ready but we all know that most of the time that isn't true. More info when it arrives here.

Rigoletto.jpg

AGHisBBS, Keithmax, mrchick and 5 others like this.
  7. BearCWY

Does anyone else own one of these razors, it's only the second one I've seen for sale. Any info on this razor would be greatly appreciated. It is stamped Rigoletto as you can see, on the other side it's stamped Boston Mass and Germany I think. The only 2 others I've seen one was on eBay and the 3rd was on a YouTube video Chasing Rainbows with drmatt357. Same brand and shape of blade, just a little different on the scales.

Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  8. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

The boker looks very easy to clean up and takes an amazing edge. I have the same model it’s a 3/4 it’s a great shaver.

Dansco, Keithmax, M14Shooter and 2 others like this.
  9. KimNB

KimNB Active Member

Thanks Paul, that is nice to know. Just bought it on a whim and it looked to have potential.

Paul76 likes this.
  10. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

You are right that it is German - Rigoletto was a trademark from Robert Hohmann Sohne, first registered in 1920. Just the first step - i'll keep looking.
    Tom

11. TestDepth

Some other trademarks in the "family": Aequator, Esperanto, Hohmann, and Terra

12. BearCWY

Thanks Tom, I really don't know how well I did on this razor. I gave $100 for it plus shipping. I bought it because of the video drmatt357 made, Chasing Rainbows and it appearing to be in such good shape. Being I've only seen 3 of these razors I figured it was pretty rare.

13. TestDepth

Now that I watched part of the video, his was the 2nd i have seen :)
    I really like your scales compared to the one in the video - eye catching! I am trying to match the G.A. to anything I am finding on Sohne, but that might be a needle in a haystack.
    I would expect you will like the shave - and i hope it is indeed shave ready.
    :happy088:

Edison Carter and BearCWY like this.
  14. BearCWY

I agree I didn't even try to find anything on the G.A. I like them better too, and mine has a cracked ice scales. I don't know if the blueish tent on the tang is a factory finish of tarnish. I will know more when it arrives here. I wish there was more info on the web about this razor but I can't find anything really.

Edison Carter and TestDepth like this.
  15. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

It does look like a factory blueing of the tang, most likely the spine is the same way unless worn away by stropping. The scales look really nice. Make sure to keep an eye on them for any signs of cel-rot beginning.

TestDepth and BearCWY like this.
  16. BearCWY

As I am fairly new to straight razors, relatively speaking. What do I look for as far as cel-rot and is there any preventive measures I can take to avoid it.

Edison Carter likes this.
  17. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

I got these bad boys heading to me shortly just putting new scales on them... only the 6 on the left are mine though[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AGHisBBS, Keithmax, mrchick and 4 others like this.
  18. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Any razors that have celluloid scales can get cell rot, sometimes it’s severe distortion of shape, areas turning darker or also transparent. They can develop small holes. They can start smelling like vinegar. The best way to prevent is to store them in a dark cool area with a low humidity. If you suspect it is starting to develop on one quarantine that razor away from the others, take pics and ask. I generally keep a new one away from the rest at first just in case, mail trucks get pretty hot and excessive heat can trigger rot.

Here’s a few examples 6BBB65BA-4397-4758-8397-027685AD758D.jpeg F64E8AC5-96D6-4B18-A264-CE6EC8173067.jpeg 7A73383C-EF49-4DA2-8F68-6FAC7DA7C97C.jpeg

19. BearCWY

I'm glad I asked as I have one I'm afraid has a bit starting around the pins. Fortunately it hasn't been stored next to any other razors.

20. M14Shooter

M14Shooter Well-Known Member

BearCWY since you said you are fairly new to straight razor .I would suggest you slow down your purchases a little .Find what style,size and region of production you like .If you want to try a different size or maker .I would gladly lend you a razor to try .So you do not have to buy one to find out you do not like it .Good luck on your journey with straights .
    Regards Mike