Gamechanger..... RazoRock is on point!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Apr 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Looking forward to yours and @Linuxguile impressions on the .84 plate. Mine came in yesterday but, I'm holding out until I get through SEptember shaves. I'll be waiting on both your thoughts.

*I reserve the right to bail out on the SEptember at any given time. I make no explicit guarantee that I will complete the month long shave off....

Linuxguile likes this.
  2. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

I acknowledge and support that right!
    I’ll probably never play the 30 Day games because shaving is one of the few areas in life where I have total control to do whatever I want. Painting myself into a 30 day corner doesn’t sound appealing..........to me.

It’s a day off, so I’ll shave in a few hours when I get a few errands done.

3. Str8on2

The being restricted to SE's for the month is really not an issue for me as I have quite a few different SE razors in my den to keep me excited and looking forward to each shave with them.

The issue is getting something new in and holding off in trying it. It raises the stakes on temptation and trying to maintain discipline. Yes, it's just shaving and do what you please but, it's just the principle in going through with it.

Like I said previously, I make no guarantees or promises that I'll stay true to form. We are human..... ;)

Latherin’ Luddite likes this.
  4. GawainandtheGreenKnight

GawainandtheGreenKnight Well-Known Member

Maiden voyage with RR GC .84 SOTD.

RR GC .84
    Simpson CL 2 Best Badger
    Permasharp (1)
    Noble Otter Lone Star
    William's Expert Aqua Velva

Had great first shave with the .84 base plate. Greatly increases the efficiency, without sacrificing smoothness. The . 84 has a slight increase in blade feel, which like. One, word of caution, this baby will bite, I got a little careless with my angle and pressure on my upper lip, and was rewarded with a cut and 2 weepers. However, even with the cuts, the alum was barely noticeable. In my opinion, Razorock has hit a homer with the .84 Game Changer.

5. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

I'm also participating in SEptember, but Im going to have to cheat the next couple of shaves.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Str8on2 likes this.
  6. Latherin’ Luddite

Well I just finished an OK two pass shave with the new .84 plate and a new Astra.

**Sandpiper soap, AS, and a Bruce brush for the assists.

I found the angle quickly, and it provided a better shave for me than the original plate with a KAI. But maybe not as overall smooth as an Astra with the original plate. I did a quick third pass to feel for crumbs using a Merkur 1904 loaded with the rejected KAI, and found it smoother.

More shaves will give me a better opinion obviously, but the short version is that I’m not blown away by the experience. I’ll try a Feather after the Astra is done and see how I like each plate.

As an aside, once I discovered the shave given by a Merkur 37C, I’ve been a lot harder to impress.

7. Linuxguile

SOTD Stirling September 19th
    [​IMG]

Razor: RazoRock Game Changer .84-P
    Blade: Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless
    Brush: Doug Korn Stubby (35mm, Carrier Class)
    Soap: Stirling Pumpkin Spice
    AS: Stirling Glacial Unscented PSB

A slight detour from SEptember. I got the new Game Changer .84-P base plate in yesterday and couldn't wait to give it a go. With the increased .84mm blade gap and slightly more blade exposure the Game Changer really performs like an ultra premium razor. During the shave I kept thinking man this is smooth, but its really efficient too! Two passes with a little touch up brought home the baby! For those that have a Rex I would say its comparable to setting 4.5, and just as smooth! Ill give the GC another go on Friday before I return to SEptember, but based on first impressions the .84-P base plate was what the Game Changer was always meant to be. Have a great day my friends!

8. GawainandtheGreenKnight

I feel the same way. While .68 was smooth, the lack of efficiency caused me over Shave at times, while in my opinion the . 84 hits just the right balance of smoothness and efficiency, and with an insane great price tag.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Str8on2 and Linuxguile like this.
  9. Str8on2

All right, all right..... You guys don't have to convince me anymore. Will breakers, that's what you Gents are...
    :p

Good write ups Gents. That's exactly what I was expecting to hear to be honest.

And truthfully, I was going to cave in and try it anyways.... :innocent

10. Linuxguile

Well go shave already and tell us what you think!

Str8on2 likes this.
  11. Str8on2

A superb shave from the Gamechanger and the .84 base plate.....
    $55 Gents, no excuses. I’m in total agreement with @Linuxguile.
    Just read post #47. Ditto.....
    992A6B1A-FAA7-4601-BD91-48B932E920BE.jpeg

12. GawainandtheGreenKnight

Mission accomplished

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ron R, Str8on2 and Linuxguile like this.
  13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Great write up, went ahead and bought one this evening with the Radio nob handle. Looks like a well made razor and I have the Wunderbar also to complement it. I was going to wait until next year but RAD kicked in a little and who knows how available they will be if fellows like this one. Razorock also sells in Europe and the rest of the world.

14. Latherin’ Luddite

I just completed my second shave with the .84 base plate. I spent more time on prep (immediately post shower, and a wasteful excess of yogurts soap), and by riding the cap and staying more focused than normal, I got a very close and smooth two pass shave.

I can’t argue with the results, but I’ll need some more time to get used to this much blade exposure. Think this is officially my most aggressive DE now.

15. Linuxguile

SOTD Stirling September 21st
    SEptember detour #2
    [​IMG]

Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    RazoRock Game Changer .84mm
    Gillette 7 O'Clock Permasharp Stainless(2)
    Yaqi Red Marble Tuxedo (28mm, Destroyer Class)
    Stirling Vanilla Sandalwood
    Drydock Lather Bowl
    Jeeves of Hudson Street 'Blood on Steel'

Shave #2 with the .84mm Game Changer, smooth as silk. This razor is in a class right along side my Above the Tie and Rex Ambassador. It is very efficient, but doesn't in an way feel harsh. I fact I don't think there is any noticeable difference in blade feel between the original .68mm base plate and the new .84mm. The results however are much closer at the end of each pass.

16. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Well just received my Game Changer .84 and its a great looking razor and now lets see if it performs like it suppose to.
    Bought some early Christmas presents for my son who is showing interest in DE shaving so I pieced a nice arrangement of products(SLOC razor) to prod him along the path of enjoying a nice shave.
    Razorock early Christmas..jpg

17. Str8on2

You’re a good man @Ron R. Don’t let anyone tell you any different..... :happy096: ;)

18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Soap: Razorock Lavender
    Brush: Razorock 400 noir plissoft knot 24 mm
    Blade: Astra SP (4th use)
    Razor: Razorock Game Changer .84 gap with radio nob handle
    Alum: Razorock
    Aftershave: Nivea refreshing
    Balm: Nivea
    Razorock Virgin shave with the Game Changer .84.jpg

The first shave with the new virgin razor. I went with a used Astra SP blade 4th use because was not sure what the shave was going to be like with the unknown parameters of the new razor other than seasoned shavers remarks who give it the nod OK (they are in the ball park with their opinions on this new .84 base plate razor) . I was a little more gentler than normal because it has some weight and I have not dialed it in yet. The shave was flawless and smooth and is indicating that the aggressiveness is possibly mid range IMO if your curious( more testing to average the aggression range) . Audio feed back was were I like it indicating how well the shave was progressing. The alum block test indicated very little irritation(below normal) which is a good sign and the 1st shave was DFS+ because of lack of experience with the new razor but it made me Happy Happy.
    The finish and accuracy of the razor is at a very high standard and is worth the $49.99US for a 316L stainless steel DE razor with a leather carry pouch for travel thrown in(very nice).

Last edited: Sep 26, 2018
  19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Just finished my 2nd face shave with the GC .84 and the results were excellent, tried one of my favorite blades 7oClock SP(black) and knocked off a close shave(CCS>bbs) and the alum block was telling me everything OK-nothing drastic to report so far. It's indicating from my normal routine that it is hitting the sweet spot(mid range possibly,averaging #of shaves still) for my comfort so far, I'm hoping that it will be a daily driver with the comfort level I like,Happy Happy so far.

20. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Still testing my New Razorock Game changer.84 and it does have some positive blade exposure and is a very smooth razor to operate and received a CCS>bbs.(day4 of use and still testing) I'm different when it comes to new razors possibly than other folks, I check for blade exposure, I always shim any new razor to see if MFG missed a nice sweet spot, I will attempt J hooking & Gillette slide + buffing troubled areas when I'm comfortable with the razor and then conclude.
    Also if it is a good daily shaver for my beard type because I daily shave with my razor rotation of 16+razors.(still testing GC.84)
    Almost forgot to add the blade is a standard Gillette 7oclock SP and will stick with this blade until done having fun with GC.84 razor.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2018
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.