The Health Club

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by wristwatchb, Sep 25, 2018.

1. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I completely agree. I hit the gym with my wife. We push each other to do more.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I'm glad you didn't take it wrong. I don't want to come off as preachy. I am also glad to hear you are on the right path with your health.

Redfisher and wristwatchb like this.
  3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I made a New Year's resolution January of 2017 that I actually stuck to. I'm down over 70lbs and very near my goal weight. Well my latest goal anyway. I started at 240lbs. My initial goal was to get below 200lbs. When I neared that my next goal was 175lbs. Having past that my next goal is 160lbs. I weighed in this morning at 168lbs. Not too much further to go. I have more energy than I've had in years. I'm not going to lie, the compliments will never get old. What worked for me was a combination of Keto and intermittent fasting. The wife and I also go for walks around the neighborhood, although not as often as we should.
    I'm a believer that each person needs to find what works for them. The low carb lifestyle has actually gotten easy for me. I no longer suffer from indigestion and acid reflux. Snoring is a thing of the past. I used to hit the snooze button several times before crawling out of bed. I'm sleeping better now so when the alarm sounds I'm up and ready to start the day.
    I do allow myself to indulge on my birthday, vacation and Christmas day. When I do, I remember why I changed my ways. I feel so much better eating low carb.
    I wish you all the best of luck on your journey to better health.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Frijolero, DaltonGang and wristwatchb like this.
  4. Redfisher

Redfisher Doesn't celebrate National Donut Day

That definitely counts, you don't need to go to a gym to exercise.
    Sent from my SM-S320VL using Tapatalk

wristwatchb likes this.
  5. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

As you should...there's a lot of movement going on with that.

6. Redfisher

The habit is a strong part of smoking you are so right.

Frijolero likes this.
  7. Redfisher

Coffee also goes well with a smoke...

AGHisBBS and brit like this.
  8. Paul Turner

One difference between my sister and me is I like to lay claim to a strong will-power...hers is rather weak. After a few years of "peer pressure smoking" she quit sometime after college. Her second and current husband is a smoker, and it only took her about a year to say "Oh, what the heck", and now she has been "re-smoking" for about 10 years. She says they both are "trying hard to quit".....hope they keep "trying".

Redfisher, Frijolero and brit like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

one of my reasons i switched to green tea, a year ago. plus i am less jittery if i have 2 cups of tea. under a pack a day now...

wristwatchb and Redfisher like this.
  10. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

My near-term goal is to increase the fiber in my diet. I am adding a piece of fruit for a snack & some salad (also a mid-day snack). I make my own Ranch dressing, with low-fat buttermilk & low-fat sour cream. In addition to having one control over the fat content, I am pleased by the fact that I know what all of the ingredients are.

11. Paul Turner

THE CHAIN.........OF CHRIS.......HAS BEEN PULLED

12. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I jumped in with Charlie on this journey about two months ago at 51, 5’11” and 280 lbs. Now I’m 52, 5’11” and 259 lbs. I’ve taken a different approach than Charlie in that I am trying to shed pounds aggressively until I get to my goal and then backing off to a more moderate approach. The reason for this is that I have an extremely efficient metabolism which requires very few calories to function. The upside of this is I will outlast all of the rest of you in an apocalyptic scenario. The downside is that when the LoseIt! app says I can drop 2 pounds a week with a 2000 calorie diet, I know that I have to consume about half that amount of calories to lose 2 pounds a week. Two months ago I set a daily goal of 1400 cal, and I’m using my type-A personality to beat that number by as much as I can stand each day. I’m averaging about 1100 to 1200 cal per day over the last eight weeks.

A few thoughts on LoseIt and calorie logging to those who are interested:
    1. Calorie consumption has almost the whole game in weight loss. There is a multibillion dollar diet industry out there who wants to sell you their “secret formula” to weight loss, but it’s as simple as calories consumed minus calories burned. Always was. Always will be.
    2. A balanced diet is really important to good health, but as far as weight loss goes, your body doesn’t really care where the calories come from. You will gain more from a 250 calorie serving of granola or hummus and pita chips than you will from a 200 calorie candy bar. Again nobody sells books or gets on the Today Show talking about this, but it’s the truth. Calories consumed minus calories burned. Period.
    3. Portion control is a huge determinant of calories consumed; more so than even choosing certain types of foods to eat. Log your calories for two months. I guarantee you will personally verify this.
    4. Snacks between meals and water all day are essential. Both will keep you from getting hungry and binging or eating larger portions at mealtime, which are both killers. If you keep your between meal snack below 200 calories, you’ll be fine.
    5. Finally, you have to be very careful eating foods that are dense in nutrients/calories, as consuming too much of them can get you off track very quickly. Drink three beers and you’ve had more calories than eating a fourth meal. However, drink one beer and you’ve had less calories than two apples. If one beer satiates you more than two apples, it would be a better choice for your afternoon snack from a pure weight loss standpoint. Just keep it to one. Portion control again.

Cheers, gentlemen!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2018
  13. brit

brit in a box

the weight watchers diet i did a few years ago was mostly portion control and calorie counting.lost 65lbs in 3 months.maybe time for a revisit...

14. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

My wife started on Weight Watchers about 6 weeks ago and has lost over 20 pounds. She is an excellent cook and I've benefitted from our evening dinner because she's been making meals that fit in the Weight Watchers system. I like that certain foods are zero points - grilled chicken, beans, vegetables, etc. I've used MyFitnessPal off and on since 2012. It works if you stick to it. I've lost about 5 pounds in the time she's been working with Weight Watchers, which is great because I wanted to trim down some after a lazy summer.

15. brit

brit in a box

126acdaed05563e384bf37ceb312a230.jpg c7ee8bf06d6faa190ef06b3301de5701.jpg aeb6e47eff783a7288234af3781faf0c.jpg
    i have to have a little humor while doing this stuff...

Paul76, SharptoothC, AGHisBBS and 7 others like this.
  16. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Well, i was up,early today, and had several hours to kill, before church. So, i went to the gym, at 0730 hrs, did 30 min on the bike, at a moderately high level, then 30 minutes back workout. Still had time to rest up, before church.

Paul76, Keithmax, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

2 loads of laundry..elevator being rebuilt. have to walk from the 4th floor, outside , around the building to access the laundry room. back up a hill and 4 flights back up.same for the garage. elevator will be out for 5 more weeks. definitely helping....

Paul76, mrchick, PLAla and 2 others like this.
  18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Paul76, Redfisher, AGHisBBS and 5 others like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

att863634.gif ok 1 more...

Paul76, Redfisher, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  20. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Congrats, Randy, on your progress. A 21 lb weight loss is excellent! I'm with you on portion control, reasonable meals and snacks, and drinking plenty of water. I'm no expert, but I'm concerned that you may not be eating enough to maintain your overall health. I would prioritize long-term overall health over short-term rapid weight loss. My family doctor is helping me. Hopefully, you are speaking with your family doc as well, particularly if you are self-imposing such strict calorie limits. Please accept this as friendly and humble food for thought, my brother. Neither one of us is in our 20's anymore. :)

Paul76, Keithmax, mrchick and 2 others like this.