Mild Shavers Thread-Techs,TTOs,Anything mild!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by MR41, Mar 4, 2018.

?

Do you consider a Gillette Red Tip mild?

1. Yes

2. No

3. It Depends on the day

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Nice Looking Razor Sir

Linuxguile, MR41 and Terry like this.
  2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Schick Krona

pic1.jpg

Frijolero, MR41 and Linuxguile like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Gillette 40s style Brazilian Monotech. This one caught me off guard just how mild of a shaver it is. This is almost the polar opposite on the aggressive scale to it's American 40s style super speed counterpart. Unlike a lot of other mild razors that it feels like you are shaving with a dull blade this one is what a blue tip Super Speed would be if it was also a smooth and efficient razor

pic2.jpg pic3.jpg

Last edited: Oct 6, 2018
    brit, Frijolero, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  4. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

One of my ALL time favorites! :happy108:

MR41 likes this.
  5. Lord Gillette

Lord Gillette Active Member

I have a 60s flare tip. Is a red tip much more aggressive?

MR41 likes this.
  6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I'd say it's a matter of efficiency, rather than aggressiveness.

The difference between the 50's Flare Tip (Medium) and the 60's Flare Tip is one of head/door profile. Which one a person prefers is a matter of personal taste, like the difference between the FatBoy and Slim. The Red Tip, though marketed for heavier beards, is pretty much the same head profile and gap, just a heavier overall razor.

7. Lord Gillette

What about the ranger tech vs the red and flare tip?

MR41 likes this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

It is a little bit more than that when they discontinued the 3 tier system of the Red tip (most aggressive), 50s style (in between) and Blue tip (least aggressive), they changed the head geometry on the 60s style flare tip super speeds to be more aggressive than the 50s style flare tip but less aggressive than a Red tip. It won't matter either of the head profile styles of the 60s flare tips, they did make them with both the older higher and new lower head profiles. I can't say for sure without examining some razors but I do remember the one I had with the high profile head was a 61. The Super Speeds head profiles I am pretty sure changed when they switched from the Fat Boy to Slim Adjustables in 61 if not then definitely in 62. They changed the head parts across all the razors when they discontinued the Fat Boy Adjustables. The change in the lifter tabs on the doors happened in 64 on the super speeds and slim adjustables. Put a 50s style head next to a Fat Boy and 60s style with a slim and you'll see what I mean.

Once they went to the black handles in 66 I am pretty sure they changed the geometry again on the heads to make them much more milder akin to the 50s style flare tip super speeds. If not then for sure in 70 when they changed how they did the diamond indent on the base plates.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    MR41, brit, MacDaDad and 1 other person like this.
  9. Lord Gillette

So that means Gillette TTO became milder with each passing year?

10. brit

brit in a box

that makes sense.. the 60s small head flare tip rocket i frequently use gives me some of the best shaves compared to older models .does the job in less passes and a closer shave..

Enrico and MR41 like this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I have this Silver Star razor coming in soon.
    s-l1600-15.jpg
    Really looking forward to it; I've heard good things about it.
    :eatdrink013:

12. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

20181031_024553.jpg i was bored and decided to put together an all gillette shave.
    razor: prewar tech
    blade: gillette 7 oclock yellow
    cream: gillette foamy barbershop fresh
    AS: Gillette cool wave.

13. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

This is up there as one of the mildest razors I've ever shaved with. The original Grand Shave King SLOC.
    gsk2.jpg gsk1.jpg

14. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

November 1

Gillette Z-3 Super Speed
    Voskhod (1)
    Kent BK8 Silvertip
    Le Père Lucien - unscented
    Alum, Thayers Lavender witch hazel, Trumper Coral Skin Food, and unrefined shea butter

[​IMG][​IMG]

15. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

I'm generally not one for gold finishes much preferring subtler nickel or stainless but I recently saw this 1946 Milord for a reasonable price and bought it.

This morning I gave it a light scrub and a Barbicide bath, put a new GSB in it and tried it out. I'm a big fan of 40's Super Speeds so it came as no surprise that it gave me a mild, smooth and efficient shave.

The case shows a little age but the razor itself looks like it has never been used. I'm still not sure about gold bling but I really like this razor!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 2, 2018
  16. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

If you've shaved with a 46 Ranger Tech before this is the same razor except for the plating. Only real difference is in how the razor glides across the face because of that plating difference. Besides if you really don't like the gold plating, remove it and have it re-plated in nickel. :D

MR41 likes this.
  17. kfbrady

Well, I haven't (shaved with a '46 Ranger Tech) although I've had my eye out for a nice set and that's why I bought the Milord when I saw it as I know they're identical except for the plating and the case.

I really like the 40's/50's TTO Gillettes and to me they all shave about the same.

MR41 likes this.
  18. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

November 2

Gillette Z-3 Super Speed
    Voskhod (2)
    Kent BK8 Silvertip
    Le Père Lucien - unscented
    Alum, Thayers Lavender witch hazel, Trumper Coral Skin Food, and unrefined shea butter

I really enjoy the SS loaded with a Voskhod blade and paired with the BK8 brush. I have mountains of lather, and the shaves are wonderfully smooth and easy. After two passes, I'm near BBS with not even a hint of irritation.

[​IMG]

19. kfbrady

I like those Flare Tips too.

My preference is for the earlier ones made before they lost the screw retainer in 1958 as they seem to be just a little heftier and with better plating.

Here's my earlier 50's Flare Tip "family": B3 Blue Tip, A1 Regular and B2 Red Tip...

[​IMG]

They're all great razors.

20. brit

brit in a box

i had a trio of regular flare tips in mint shape..., a-1,b-1 and c-1, my friends birthyear is 1957, so he has all three now..like the tri-5 chevy s..i like the rockets...

Herm2502, MR41, Enrico and 1 other person like this.