What a Red tip taught me

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by richdad, Oct 19, 2018.

1. richdad

richdad Active Member

I recently purchases a lovely Gillette red tip. Now, I'm a user, not a collector, and I want to get a smooth face feeling. To me that means close to BBS with a near drama free experience - minimal nicks, pain, blade feel etc. I was previously using a Rockwell 6c on plate 4 or 5 with great results but the razor was too good - it was boring! And it was big and heavy; esthetically not my cup of tea.
    Did a one day transition shave with a 53 super speed with a new 7 0'clock and the next day used the RT and killed my face. Cuts pain irritation etc. Yes I skin stretch with facial movements and pulling and use a thick lather and good prep. Kept shaving with the red tip until I solved the issue. What did I learn and what can some of you learn from my experience?
    1. The red tip is a head heavy razor. I was pressing too hard after using the super speed and the rockwell. Even though the rockwell is a heavy razor it is so smooth it much more forgiving with pressure.
    2. I had always used fast short razor strokes. I decided to slow down and lengthen my movements and that made quite a difference in cutting efficiency.
    3. Held the razor lightly and used the weight of the RT head to do the cutting; si if you have a heavy razor keep this advice in mind.
    4. Although this advice isn't something I just learned I can say that many razors like the tto's and others have a wide range of cutting efficiency and that if someone needs to buff they can hold a ss, rt , slim or old type more steeply ( the razor more straight up and down) to go over an area with less irritation.
    Anyway after several red tip shaves now with gillette 7'0clock and astra sp blades I am getting near perfect
    bbs or close to bbs shaves with a new razor and the shaves are as good as I have ever had with any razor.

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

I enjoy my '55 Red Tip for much the same reason. Mild razors tend to have a smaller sweet spot because of less blade exposure (or other head geometry designs) that limit the effective range of angle. More blade hanging out there gives the user the ability to tune their shave, along with the associated nick and razor burn issues.
    Sounds like you've developed and adjusted your technique to compensate for the aggressive nature Gillette intended. A slightly larger blade gap, heavier handle, and a different base plate differentiate the RT from Flare and Blue Tip for a reason.

Next time you go on a new-to-you razor adventure, visit The 30 Day Crew and share your insights. You have independently developed nearly the same methods 30DC Veteran Shavers are teaching to New Shavers! Once learned those techniques make picking up most any style of razor a shorter learning curve.

MR41, Screwtape, jtspartan and 5 others like this.
  3. richdad

richdad Active Member

4. richdad

richdad Active Member

Thanks. I think the slower shave stroke was quite important for me. I only used the SS for a short transition time. If I had gone to my old I would have known to use a light stroke but the red tip was new and I wasn't thinking so the real lesson for people is - it's probably not the razor - it's you and your need to adapt your technique!

Redrock, Dansco, Screwtape and 4 others like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Gillette did a good job making the Reds handle more textured. If you consider touching up the paint on the knob, check at Dollar Tree type stores for correct or close fingernail polish. I haven't done mine yet, but I found the match.
    Red for a Red Tip.gif

jtface, MR41, Lord Gillette and 7 others like this.
  6. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

7. brit

brit in a box

had a red tip, it bit me good, so i sold it, i haven t experienced that with any of my other gillettes so far..even my hd rocket. old types..well,maybe. but my technique wasn t as good then. i still like the mid mild gillettes the most..

Screwtape and RyX like this.
  8. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I guess that I stand alone thinking that my Red Tip isn't all that aggressive...when compared to my '08 Old Type, '40 Milord Tech, 2011 R41...:D

Redfisher, brit, M14Shooter and 6 others like this.
  9. richdad

richdad Active Member

Probably right. But if technique is off no razor is going to produce a comfortable shave.

brit, Frijolero, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.
  10. Primotenore

Article Team
    Indeed, I have been bitten by my mildest razor, the Feather AS-D2. Which, is why I always say, it's not the razor that shaves you it's the blade.

11. richdad

richdad Active Member

Press too hard, stop concentrating, go over the lip and bingo you bleed.

brit and Primotenore like this.
  12. Primotenore

Article Team
    Or "zig" when you should have "zagged" :happy097:

brit, Frijolero and wristwatchb like this.
  13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I love my Red Tip. It's a really smooth shaver. This little beauty was a generous gift from @Douglas Carey.
    SOTD_102117.jpg SOTD_102317.jpg

Linuxguile, Redfisher, MR41 and 5 others like this.
  14. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Honestly, I had been intimidated by the thought of a Red Tip before actually using one. I tend toward milder razors and never take the Fatboy above '5', so I was a bit leery of the "aggressive" nature of the Red Tip.

After I used one, my reaction was more one of "That's it? I was afraid of this?" Frankly, if you've used a Gillette Adjustable at anything above '4', the Red Tip is cake.

IMHO, YMMV, not valid in the states of Wyoming or confusion.

brit, Screwtape, Primotenore and 4 others like this.
  15. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

For Gillettes, the one that overall has the most going for it, for me, is still the President...build quality, balance, shave quality and looks. Then the Ranger Tech or '48 Super Speed (whatever it's called, Ari Jr? they shave the same...amazingly). Third place was the RT, due to quality of shave and (especially) the knurling, but once I tried the '32 Tech, it's now a two way tie for 3rd. Still, the RT is easily in the top 5.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2018
    jtspartan, brit, Screwtape and 2 others like this.
  16. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

No, you don't. I never even thought it felt substantially different from any other superspeed.

Ditto.

17. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

RyX likes this.
  18. luv2shave

luv2shave Active Member

There is a reason Gillette used the blood red colour in it's in the tip. You're warned each time you pick it up !!

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

brit, Primotenore and RyX like this.
  19. Orville

Orville Active Member

My RT was the best thing to ever happen to my technique. Whatever the reality is, the reputation tricked me into one of the most focused and present shaves I've had since my first shave with a DE.
    I got a great shave, and then I went in for the touch up and ended up with a couple of weepers. Overall I was very impressed and am over the hype.

:signs097:

Primotenore, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  20. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

There was a recent post on another shaving forum asking about whether technique can really "improve". I'd like them to read this.

Frijolero and RyX like this.