Is Straight Razor really superior to a Shavette?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Oskar Gustavsson, Nov 2, 2017.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

@RezDog is correct. I would so add, don't let anyone touch this razor, if the only experience they have is sharpening knives. The chance of ruining the razor is high, if you aren't fully experienced at honing straight razors. A properly honed straight should feel like it's just gliding across your face. Contact @gssixgun , he has honed thousands of Straights.

2. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

One of the most enjoyable threads I have read in a while.

Using a Dovo should at least be ok, if it had been honed properly. Give it a chance - send it to someone who knows how to set a bevel and smooth that edge out!

Keithmax, mrchick and Billyfergie like this.
  3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I agree with the posts above. The razor needs to be sharpened by someone experienced with straight razors. It’s a completely different process. Good luck!

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  4. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I've not shaved with a shavette and my comments are solely based on my (limited) experiences trying to maintain my straight razor. The first thing I found was that stropping a razor wasn't as easy as I thought; I kept turning the edge of my straight and kept having to send it back to @alpla444 (he who is awesome) to be re-honed.

After buying five razors, to keep me going a while longer, and getting to the stage where they were all blunted, by use as well as stropping, I decided to investigate honing. My kit now includes a piece a felt stuck on a piece of balsa wood and some diamond spray, to bring the edge back. If this doesn't work, I go to one of my natural finishing stones. Honing is a huge challenge for me. There is so much to learn! Seriously. You know what though. I love it! :) It's challenging and interesting and is becoming a real hobby. BTW - I'm still rubbish at it but I'm having a good time.

My advice is this: If you want easy, stick with the shavette. If you want a really enjoyable challenge, that is about so much more than the shave, give a straight a go. He who is awesome, is still there when I need him ;) Thanks Dean.

Billyfergie and gssixgun like this.
  5. Arnout

Arnout Well-Known Member

For me diamond spray shaves way to agressive, its way to eager to cut skin!

SevenEighth and Deeter like this.
  6. Hi again!
    Lets get the final verdict from my point of view.
    I sent the knife to a company in Sweden that specializes in honing knifes, straight razors as well. I got it back and it was like night and day compared to when I sent it.
    The first thing I noticed was how crucial it suddenly was to have it at the correct angle, the shavette I could almost use at an wide angle, this was not the case anymore.
    Another major difference was the difference in blade-length which I noticed made it harder to trace the beard on the cheeks. The shavette was much more manageable in regards of shaving and tracing lines.
    The feel between the different knifes was also noticeable, the shavette cuts the beard with more ease than the straight razor. Both gave me great shaves and neither gave me razor burns, but a difference was noticed.
    So is a straight razor really superior?
    Looking at economic and practical reasons, no. The knife with the strop ended at a price of 200€, compared to the shavette which was priced 20€ and the difference in price would probably supply me with razorblades for the rest of my life. Practical reasons it is also hard to argue that it is superior with having to strop before every shave, if you want to bring it on a trip I would have to bring a strop with me and I also have to take care of the strop in addition to the razor.

However, although these things I am still very happy about my straight razor. Because it is all about the feeling(as you all probably are quite aware about:)). There is a certain feel to stropping the knife, there is a certain feel to have the razor sharp blade glide against the skin, and finally there is a certain feel to knowing that this knife I got when I turned 18, is something that I hopefully can use for the rest of my life.
    Thank you to everyone that participated in this thread and helped me with deciding to buy the knife in the end, I am sincerely thankful.
    Regards-

Spyder, JohnDB and Keithmax like this.
  7. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

The first razor I honed was done with a pack of lapping film 30, 12, 9, 5, 3, 1, .3. .5. I followed a method of raising a burr on each side. This was followed by lapping on a used Illinois horse hide and fire hose linen material combo strop. The razor cost $10, the strop $25, the films, $27. If I had nothing else I could maintain this razor. This is my best, most effective traditional SR blade. I plan on trying to find more vintage razors to hone and use.

Now, the Feather cost $59 and $12 for the blades.

I like not having to choose since I love them both.

8. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

Just saying that I usually travel with a shavette but use my regular straight razors at my home.
    And you as a fairly young man will discover...life changes tempo sometimes.
    Fully knowing how to use a regular straight vx a shavette can serve you well in your travels. Many of us here will buy "vintage" straights to clean and sharpen them up. They don't necessarily cost a lot.
    Most of mine are between 90-100 years old.
    I have one Swiss and three German razors. Each with a story to tell. Important lessons from history to remember.
    Brand new razors? Hey, they are pretty. Wouldn't mind having a custom made one crafted by a small shop. But it would be a very expensive toy.

Your mileage may vary.

lindyhopper66 and Keithmax like this.
  9. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    You know I answered this on the SRP Facebookers page with a new way of saying it :)

My SR, that I picked out to perfectly match my face, in my hands, after being honed by me to match that steel, and my beard, by my very experienced hands, stropped expertly by me after 37 years of experience doing it.. Yeah My SR will Smoke my Shavette for Comfort and Closeness without a doubt..

Your SR shave, however, will not be as good as mine :)

That is NOT an insult, or being demeaning, but it is the truth, My SR shave will be better than my Shaveette shave every single time...

With experience, a SR is the absolute most personally adjustable shaving instrument there is, that is a Plus and Minus

10. JohnDB

JohnDB Well-Known Member

I can go along with that.

gssixgun likes this.
  11. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

I enjoyed reading your post because it validates what I've been thinking and experiencing as a new SR user. The SR is a collaboration between the owner and his blade.

Edison Carter, mrchick and gssixgun like this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I refer to straight razors as the ultimate adjustable razor.