Karve razor by Christopher Bradley: First impressions....

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Str8on2, Jul 8, 2018.

1. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

I recently bought the Karve with C &D plates. It’s a nice razor but it didn’t live up to hype, IMO.

Zed117, Douglas Carey, brit and 2 others like this.
  2. Mark Booth

Mark Booth New Member

5E2EE31C-8FE9-4558-AAA7-2FF03E8658B1.jpeg
    I wholeheartedly agree with Str8on2 and the other positive comments above. In my case I started with baseplate B&C and will probably buy a D plate by tonight (LOL) and I’m utterly impressed by this razor.

I have a wiry beard that is fast growing. To complicate life, I have sensitive skin that can easily irritate due to certain soaps or too agggressive of a razor. I should state that I shave nearly every day of the year with only a few exceptions, so I have to be careful with keeping irritation in check. I shave with straight blades and SE razors as well.

Unlike some of the guys (above) I like as “little” blade feel as possible, but still able to cut through my stubble for a DFS or BBS when time allows in the morning.

I find the B plate works nicely with 3 full passes and a little touch up if I’m going for a BBS shave. The C plate surprises me because it’s nearly as smooth (if not as smooth) as the B plate but notches up the efficiency enough to get notably closer with fewer passes and still avoid irritation as a daily shaver. So I find myself reaching for the C plate more often and now have reasonable confidence that I should reach a little higher and buy the D plate.

I plan to buy a Karve 3.5” with an E/F plate for my brother (BD gift) who likes fairly aggressive razors and more blade feel. His beard is softer and less thick than mine and goes 3-days between shaves but goes only for BBS polished smoothness or nothing at all! LOL

My only semi-negative is the patience it takes for the razor to arrive to a USA address. Conversely, I love the fact that the Karve razor is a one-man operation that is growing and truly a well made premium razor— certainly takes a little longer for production. Canadian Post is notoriously slow. I know this because I have wonderful Canadian relatives— but packages from Europe arrive more quickly. So, allow at least 3-4 weeks to receive your razor.

All in all... for the price and quality, this razor is hard to beat, and it provides many shaving options and is known for smoothness regardless of the efficiency levels one might choose. I love brass and bronze so it makes this razor doubly enjoyable for me!

Mark
    Seattle, Washington
    USA

3. NoWeepers

NoWeepers Member

How is blade feel with the D, E, or F plates?

Douglas Carey likes this.
  4. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Yesterday the Gamechanger, today the Karve with the D plate. And yes, another exceptionally good shave that was close, smooth and very comfortable. Though I prefer the E & F plates on the Karve, if I’m not in the hunt for a BBS finish the D fits the bill nicely. Light blade feel yet still good efficiency with just enough audible feedback to let one know that it’s taking care of business. Just an absolute joy of a razor to use for whatever shave situation may arise. As a shaving system razor with multiple plates, it only really has one competitor, the Rockwell 6s/6c. And in my humble opinion, it beats it any day of the week and twice on Sunday. Superbly engineered and manufactured for not much $$$. A steal if you ask me....

8A7B8A79-6B8B-41F4-801F-D92EAC668244.jpeg

Douglas Carey, brit, Boojum1 and 3 others like this.
  5. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Douglas Carey, brit, Boojum1 and 3 others like this.
  6. ugadawg

ugadawg Well-Known Member

I had the D and traded it for the F. I could not feel the blade with the D plate. I can feel it with the F plate, but it's still not a lot of blade feel. It's just enough to know where it is.

Douglas Carey and brit like this.
  7. Timbo2

Timbo2 Member

All in all its a great razor from Canada. I'm proud of what this small company has done. Aesthetically I'd like to see the blade tabs covered a bit more. Great price too.

Douglas Carey and brit like this.
  8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

November 25, 2018
    Karve E Plate
    Feather
    Rudy Vey Rover with TGN Finest
    MdC Vetyver
    Fine Fresh Vetiver

[​IMG]

Douglas Carey, Str8on2 and brit like this.
  9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

November 26, 2018
    Karve E Plate
    Feather
    Shavemac ATG LE D01 2 Band
    Stirling R4L
    Soap and Aftershave

[​IMG]

10. brit

brit in a box

nice review , thank you. i will aim for a b and c plate to start..

Douglas Carey and Str8on2 like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

is now on my wifes christmas list, 3 inch with a b guard..

Douglas Carey, Str8on2 and clint64 like this.
  12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

I think you’ll like the razor.

13. brit

brit in a box

thank you,i think so too,i like the idea of more plates if i want to change up, and i can have it plated also..i thought about the blackland dart but i think it would be too aggressive at present.i like the 3 inch handle length as it matches a tech and like the mild shaves most of my gillettes give. if i want an aggressive shave i can use my slim or fatboy.the b plate has a gap similar to a canadian prewar at .67 mm /b at .73 although gap means little from what i have heard.anticipation setting in...good things ahead..

Douglas Carey, Frijolero and Str8on2 like this.
  14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

@brit I have the D, E and F plates with the 3 inch handle. The D is very smooth and efficient for me. While the E and F plates satisfy my urges for something more aggressive. I find the razor to be exceptionally well made comparing with razors that cost many times more. The Karve has been one of my best razor purchases.

15. brit

brit in a box

thank you .

Douglas Carey, Str8on2 and clint64 like this.
  16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

December 13, 2018
    Karve F Plate
    Feather
    Wild West Brushworks with 30mm Tuxedo
    Proraso Cypress & Vetyver
    Fine Fresh Vetiver

[​IMG]

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

December 14, 2018
    Karve F Plate
    Feather
    Rudy Vey with Shavemac Finest
    AOS Sandalwood Cream
    Fine Santal Absolut

[​IMG]

Douglas Carey, brit and Str8on2 like this.
  18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

December 15, 2018
    Karve F Plate
    Feather
    Zenith B27 Boar
    Oleo El Caballero
    Dominica Grand Bay Rum

[​IMG]

19. shaveman

shaveman Well-Known Member

The new aluminum Karve available soon. Out for anodizing.

47000930_1896610157101013_7055506053884147113_n.jpg

20. Douglas Carey

Douglas Carey Wildman

Want to put this information in for Razor of the Year? I think @clint64 had a liking for this razor also. I haven't use it yet my self. What is with the different plates, ie "F"? Is it a made in the U.S.A. product?

brit and clint64 like this.