that's only me or the Edwin Jagger DE89 feels pulling in the Against the grain pass ?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by idan, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Some can just lather up and shave.
    Some use cold water to shave.
    Some need to shower before shaving.
    Most, from what I've read, need to wash their face then use very warm water to soften the wiskers before shaving.
    I wash my face amd hands with soap and water first.
    The type of cream/soap also makes a difference to me, I like the really slick stuff like Stirling will bring to the table.
    I like to face lather, meaning I load the brush with soap, then create the lather by brushing my face with the brush and I dip the tip of my brush in water as needed if the lather is to stiff. This works best and it feels good, to me
    I also only get 2 shaves from a blade before they start to pull and tug. I found feather blades work best, for me.

Your skin and hair is different than mine or theirs.
    I tried different things till I found the right combination, and was rewarded with now the best shaves of my life.
    You will too.
    tp
    Oh yea and if you watch youtube you will see shavers on the 2cd pass go from ear to chin. I found it works best for me to go chin to ear on the 2cd pass.
    Good luck
    tp

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I don't stretch...I may make shave faces, but my free hand is idle.

ordinaryshaver likes this.
  3. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

After going through about 30 razors I have noticed that some razors will just feel a bit more tuggy than other. I attribute this to the geometry of the razors. Some are by design having a more shallow angle while some are having by design a more steep angle.

When I was 6 months into DE shaving, I bought a R89 (same head as DE89) and at that point I found it a bit tuggy too. I never liked this razor and I ended up selling it after just a few shaves. This means I do not have a chance to revisit this razor to see how it acts for me now several years later with more experience, but yes I had a bit similar experience in the beginning of my journey.

4. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

There is definitely differences in head geometry between various razors, but they can all shave without tugging. You have to adjust the angle for each razor to get the right angle for shaving. If a blade is sharp, then technique adjustments should make the razor shave smoothly.

Terry likes this.
  5. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I tend to agree for the most part but, I have never had the Muhle r41 2018 give me an easy shave. That's the only razor out of quite a few that pulls, a lot. I get a close shave with no blood but it will pull from beginning to end. I normally only get pulling and tugging from a dull blade. I've tried different things and will keep trying but so far, no good shaves with that one.

tp