My Brush Repairs, Restorations & Builds

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Enrico, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Here's another one I worked on .....

Sellers pic
    s-l1600-2.jpg

Repaired full length crack in upper part and I swapped the base with another one. Weighted and bored out to accept a 24mm Timberwolf synthetic knot. I accentuated the remnants of the crack with gold paint and re-lettered it.

IMG_1232.JPG
    IMG_1224.JPG

From the trash heap and now ready for a new life!

And as always .... more to come! :D

:eatdrink013:

Bubbablade, Hembree, brit and 7 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Kintsugi - you made the damage beautiful.

Enrico, john zeiger and jimjo1031 like this.
  3. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Another great looking restore, Keith. Very nice. The Timberwolf knot sure goes nicely with your great restored handle.

Enrico, RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I have a similar Fuller brush, but without the white logo. Thinking of using a 24mm Tuxedo knot. One suggestion for future projects. I know that Super Glue has a product that dries black. Could work out nice for cracks where black is needed.

Enrico, RyX and john zeiger like this.
  5. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

That’s what I was aiming for, when hiding the repair wasn’t possible due to the lettering, I figured make it part of the treasured look of the brush. Like a gold lightning strike to the butterscotch base.

Thank you! Honestly it was what I had on hand, but it turned out nicer than I expected.

I had a Tuxedo and a Timberwolf on hand and I’m saving the the Tuxedo for the next brush restoration. I thought about the black superglue, but couldn’t locate any. I could have made the repair disappear, but would have damaged the lettering, and it was unusual enough that I didn’t want to do that.

TestDepth, RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

thank you keith, awesome brush..
    20181121_231439.jpg 20181121_231457.jpg

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

brit and RyX like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I spied this Ever Ready 100 and thought it would look great wearing a Tux.

IMG_1234.JPG

It was between 16mm an 18mm, so quite small.

Shorn, bored and weighted.

IMG_1236.JPG IMG_1239.JPG IMG_1240.JPG

IMG_1243.JPG

Finally here it is; polished and a 24mm Tuxedo installed.

9. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Very nice.

The 24mm is a big improvement. That original knot was conspiciously tiny looking.

Enrico likes this.
  10. jimjo1031

Enrico likes this.
  11. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you! The original knot wasn't much bigger than the base of my pinky. :happy102:

:thanks:

Frijolero and jimjo1031 like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well it time to get back to work .....

IMG_0946-2.JPG
    Believe it or not, I bought this bak in May of 2017. It was missing its bottom and I thought about replacing it with a spare base from another Hardright brush, but catalin can be fussy and brittle, so I opted for a material I've used in the past ..... copper.

IMG_1267.JPG
    IMG_1268.JPG

I bored it out to accept an 18mm Finest badger knot and attached a piece of copper. I set the knot as deep as possible, (but everything has its limits) and shaped the copper (polishing it all up nicely. I mixed up some copper paint for lettering and re-lettered it. To finish it off I soaked and lathered it up to clean and to remove any beasty smell.

I has some minor flaws (including a little overage of epoxy), but over all I like finished product.

By the way, in case you haven't noticed ... it's real tiny ~4 5/8" or 117mm over all height

I mean it ..... real soon! ;)

13. jimjo1031

Nice job............

14. Jrdelgado

Jrdelgado Well-Known Member

Looks great!

15. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

Well done, very nice looking brushes.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

16. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

That's a nice looking brush.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Very nice job. Turned out great.

18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you all for your kind words; sorry I've been a bit remiss at getting back to all of you. I'm trying to get things ready for my first grand child coming soon, but recently finished another brush.

brit, RyX, Ijustmissedthe50s and 2 others like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I was planning on getting back here sooner with a brush, but here it is ..... before

IMG_1272.JPG

I've restored one of these before and thought it was bakelite due to the way it sounded like glass when tapped.

IMG_1273.JPG

Now working on this one, I think it's solid catalin. Still excellent to work on and polishes very nicely, but didn't want to talk away its lettering or character.

IMG_1274.JPG

The recipient desired to duplicate the one I restored in the past; which was a wonderful brush. It's a 22mm black synthetic sitting on 31¢ (a nickel, penny and a quarter) for spacing; since it was a solid handle there was really no room for weight to be added.

I wish pictures could do it justice; it's far prettier in person.

20. jimjo1031

Coins come in handy for spacing and weight.

Mark Curtis, brit and Enrico like this.