The "what is" and " how to" thread for the Rolls Razor

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gregindallas, Mar 10, 2011.

1. Steve_Keyte

Steve_Keyte Active Member

Yes, I have two of the handles you describe, if you compare the handle to the two piece type, you'll see that the end cap is shallower and doesn't unscrew

Steve

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
  2. Steve_Keyte

[​IMG]
    The three style of handles I have, from left to right, the usual two piece handle, the one piece telescopic handle and finally the one piece unit, note the the end cap on the one piece handle and the end cap of the telescopic one are shallower than the end cap of the two piece handle, the end cap of the two piece handle can be unscrewed to release the plunger rod and spring, the other two end caps don't appear to be removeable
    Steve

Attached Files:

pisces_0 and macaronus like this.
  3. pisces_0

pisces_0 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanation, Steve!

So I've got a standard 2-piece handle that unthreads in the middle, and also a 1-piece handle with the shallow end-cap that is not removable.

Regarding the 1-piece handle:
    1. What's the recommended method of blade installation? Slide in against the force of the detent pin?
    2. When were these produced? They came with Imperial sets, I assume.

4. Steve_Keyte

1. Yes, the handle is slid onto the blade, but apply the pressure to the side of the hook fitting whilst aligning the hook to the blade spine, you'll find that the handle will slide onto the blade spine reasonably easily and with moderate force.
    2. Yes, I think the single piece handles came with the Imperial razors, I've checked some of the instruction leaflets I have and they suggest that the Imperial No 2 razors came with the fixed length handle, the telescopic handles seem to have been supplied with the Viscounts, or at least that is the suggestion from the leaflets.
    Steve

5. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I just picked up my first Rolls (pictures coming later). It came with two sets of instructions- one set was the regular ones posted elsewhere in this thread; the other, however, appears to have been intended for sales clerks:
    SP0053418112617290.jpg SP0053418112617300.jpg

brit, Paul76, macaronus and 4 others like this.
  6. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info. I haven't seen these instructions before.

7. pisces_0

Super cool, @John Ruschmeyer ! I haven't seen the "behind the scenes" instructions for clerks before. Thanks for sharing.

Broke out the Rolls this morning for the first time in a month or so. Rewarded with a wonderfully smooth BBS finish. These are such great razors, when the blade is properly sharpened.

Paul76, John Ruschmeyer and macaronus like this.
  8. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

So true!

Paul Turner likes this.
  9. John Ruschmeyer

You're welcome. I love some of the statements on the second page about differences in beards. Oddly, there seems to be some advice there that I had never heard before with regard to stropping.

macaronus, Paul76 and Linuxguile like this.
  10. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

This is cool, John! Makes me want to break out my Rolls!

macaronus, Paul76 and John Ruschmeyer like this.
  11. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Thank you John for the pics, some good info on there

12. John Ruschmeyer

FYI, pictures of my Rolls can be found here.

13. pisces_0

macaronus likes this.
  14. Steve_Keyte

I've just bought a Rolls 'Popular' model which is in very good condition apart from being caked in a thick layer of grease and grime, I've stripped it down to clean the components as I would with an Imperial or Viscount, but the Popular doesn't appear to have a friction pad, it has a sleeve with the 'wings' which fits over the spindle, exactly as the later Rolls models, except there doesn't seem as though there was ever a friction pad in the sleeve, friction seems to be obtained from the steel sleeve bearing directly against the steel spindle, it's not a brass spindle like the later models. Can anyone confirm whether this model is supposed to be fitted with a friction sleeve?
    Steve

macaronus likes this.
  15. richtherm

richtherm New Member

First post for me so I apologize if I go against any accepted rules....

I fell into the evil grip of buying a Rolls a couple months ago while looking at the bay for a finish hone to set my father's old straights and stumbling onto them. They (the Rolls) have now multiplied and I have 10 (9 shave ready and 1 organ donor). Figured out honing out of the case, good stone repair and am able to maintain on the internal hone. My problem,,,, the strops.

6 of the units came with what I would have considered viable strops. Two of them had pads on the back that had long turned into something that looks like charcoal and one had a strop that looked more like a strip of beef jerky than leather. Cleaned them all, oiled them up, and sanded trying to get them flat. I still have 4 strops that look good but when put to use the travel lanes of the blade show areas that look like it isn't touching. Some are lines, some show the blade touching good in the center (or edges). I have replace two of the strops with some 5-6 Oz leather from a hobby store that works great, but I would really like to keep the OEM strops in the units if possible.

The Rolls has become my every day shaver and I'm trying to get some complete (as possible) units to give to my sons.

Long story even longer, does anyone have a clue on how to get the blade contact fixed?

Thanks in advance,

Rich

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    macaronus likes this.
  16. pisces_0

I ran into this exact issue on a very nice aluminum Viscount a few months back. Aside from the strop looking like a dried out cow's tongue, the set was in great condition looking almost unused.

After a cleaning with saddle soap I ran thru the following steps:
    1. Chisel off old strop backing (down to just leather)
    2. Treat with strop conditioner
    3. Warm with a hair dryer
    4. Work strop with fingers and palm
    5. Roll empty glass bottle over strop to flatten
    6. Repeat steps 3-5 until the strop is malleable and flat again
    7. Adhere cardboard strip (cereal box) to backside of the strop with spray adhesive
    The strop isn't as pretty as many like-new strops I've seen, but it's fully functional and dead-flat now.

A wise man once said, "If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy."

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    macaronus and brit like this.
  17. brit

brit in a box

very cool, sounds like a red green quote..

18. richtherm

richtherm New Member

My father used to tell me the same thing, he was born in 1916. He also had another one "Always be dependable, responsible and capable". Always tried to live remembering both quotes. Thanks for the hints, I'll try them today.

Rich

brit likes this.
  19. Steve_Keyte

I've just picked up a 1938 dated Imperial No. 2 and it came with a letter to the original owner and a leaflet which the letter refers to, giving the current (1938) prices for the range of razors and accesories

Attached Files:

macaronus likes this.
  20. pisces_0

Very neat to see these. Thanks!!

Rolls was certainly proud of their product and shave quality (and rightfully so). All period-documents I've seen basically say, "If you're not getting the best shaves of your life with our product, you're doing something wrong. Gillette and Schick, be damned..."

20181231_083000.jpg

macaronus, brit and Steve_Keyte like this.