Why I hate "which razor is better" posts

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by PLANofMAN, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I take the approach that answering the same newbie question for the thousandth time is just as easy as writing the nasty "this is what the search button is about." I definitely fall into the educator camp too! (30DC originator)

PLANofMAN, BamaT, Terry and 6 others like this.
  2. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

@Primotenore

Started informally teaching a rhythm guitarist who's a newbie. I admire anyone who teaches music, it's a hard subject.

Terry, Frijolero, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  3. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Good for you Chris.
    Talk about having to repeat one's self! That's 90% of what teaching classical voice is all about. Especially when you're dealing with such an intangible as the voice. Can't show them where to put their fingers. ;)

4. brit

brit in a box

i have to repeat myself every day,..my favorite, my car is making a bang bang noise, how much will that cost? what model volvo is it? its a blue one,4 door..:angry032:

CrustyCat, jtface, MacDaDad and 3 others like this.
  5. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

In sales we see a similar situation. It is labeled F.U.D. those stand for Fear, Uncertainty, and Doubt respectively.
    I think the same thing applies here. New comers have "Fear" about this being "safe" I mean the blades aren't in a nice neat cartridge, be careless and you can bleed fairly well, even easier with the straights.
    "Uncertainty" comes in to play because, let's be honest, even someone that is experienced in one form of "traditional" shaving may not know if they will like another type. Take for example, SE vs DE. Different razors, different blades, different angle, different types of razors. That can lead to quiet a bit of uncertainty. Not to mention trying to go to straights.
    "Doubt"in my mind comes in because of the learning curve that takes place as wrll as a bit of looking for "instant gratification" . Let's face it, this hobby takes skill, and that skill is not normally taught during the formative years nearly as much as it was in the past .

To wrap this up, I see the same thing, every day in sales, it is in human nature to want to know as much as possible about the topic at hand. It's up to us to remember we are ignorant about something. For example, I know quite a bit about firearms, but nothing of how to read or play music. If I am looking for information on a topic that I am ignorant about, it only makes sense that I will try to frame my question to elicit the "best bang for the buck" so to speak.

PLANofMAN, BamaT, Frijolero and 5 others like this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Would you ask "what's the best gun?". Somehow I think you have enough common sense not to do that. And were you so befuddled to do that I would hope your friends would respond with educating questions rather than "Glock 19".

Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
    Frijolero, Keithmax and brit like this.
  7. ordinaryshaver

Would I ask that question? No. But has it been asked of me? Countless times, here are some examples.
    What's the best gun for home protection? What's the best gun for concealed carry? What's the best gun for long range target shooting? What's the best gun for hunting? What's the best gun for Romulans that invade the nuteral zone? Etc.... It is in every segment. Not just the shaving world. Do we all want to help? Yes, do we all have the same brains that formulate questions the same from the same train of thought? Heck no!

CrustyCat, BamaT, Shaver X and 6 others like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

very cool...

Frijolero and wristwatchb like this.
  9. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

My comments should be read as being more critical of people who answer these overly simplistic questions with equally simplistic answers than of the person making the query.

Frijolero, brit and Keithmax like this.
  10. ordinaryshaver

My apologies, I did not understand the meaning of the question. No offense intended, as my answer was rather tounge in cheek.

Frijolero, brit and Keithmax like this.
  11. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

?? Uh ..no offense taken.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Best gu? That is easy, this is my everyday carry. Kind of bulky but I don't mind.

IMG_4430.jpg

PLANofMAN, CrustyCat, BamaT and 3 others like this.
  13. ordinaryshaver

I hate too see the holster for that, is it an IWB, OWB, or shoulder holster?

BamaT, Frijolero, brit and 2 others like this.
  14. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Nicely said Charlie. Thanks!

Frijolero, brit and wristwatchb like this.
  15. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I just put in on wheels and pull it behind me, it is easier on my back, the shoulder holster had me listing to the right.

16. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    You know how sometimes you post something just to get it off your chest... It gets two likes and you go to bed happy?

Then you get back on a couple days later and there's three pages of discussion and it's been added as an article and you start to wonder if you've made a terrible mistake? :p

At least i never have to worry about any wet shaving forum becoming as divided as a gaming forum (xbox vs ps) or, god help us, a political forum (democrat vs republican). Gun forums have already been mentioned. The best EDC concealed handgun is, of course, the P365.;) Edit: well, now that they've fixed the firing pin issue.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
    BamaT, MacDaDad, GatorJoe and 5 others like this.
  17. Lancre

Lancre Well-Known Member

Side note: On a different forum one member starts his reply to such questions with "Here is my standard copy pasta". This makes the point quietly that the info is out there for the searching while fulfilling the request.

18. MacDaDad

MacDaDad Well-Known Member

TASTES GREAT !! :)

Tinmantoo, Keithmax and brit like this.
  19. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

That's a shame, in my humble opinion, and I've seen similar responses. Answers to most any question can be found by a Google search, and folks coming to forums with questions know that. If someone has a question, why not happily answer it or just let it pass? If someone joins a forum and hopes to strike up a conversation by asking a legitimate question, they deserve something better than a condescending response.

PLANofMAN, BamaT, Shaver X and 6 others like this.
  20. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Exactly. Paste your your copied response and move on. No harm, no foul. Just throwing that disclaimer in the response is a low class move. Thankfully, I’ve not encountered that behavior here.

BamaT, Shaver X, MacDaDad and 5 others like this.