The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Right, of course it would be more "fougere"....as it's a Polo clone.

2. gott654

gott654 Well-Known Member

This right here. Premium soap is great don’t get me wrong, just out of my price range. For what a premium soap costs I can get a refill puck and an AS from Stirling, a quality product at a great value. I’m with you in hoping the current line stays. All this talk of upgraded base is making me slightly nervous I must admit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Stirling Green is not like Skin Bracer at all. Like Andrew says, more like Brut, but not like Brut. It's nowhere near a drug store aftershave. Much more sophisticated in scent than that.

4. Paul Turner

I guess that's why I said "glorified". I knew they wouldn't be one and the same.

5. Paul Turner

I'd like to make a change in plans-earlier I said I'd be announcing the winner of the Stoylin 2019 Tony Awards on Christmas Day-I'm changing the date to New Year's Day 2019. You'll all find out who walks off with the coveted prize...and then we can all go watch feetball.

6. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Well with a sad heart I had to watch Black Friday/Cyber Monday come and go without buying a THING. Fortunately the new Stirling scents are still on sale, so I added all but a couple to my cart, along with more Christmas Eve products.

I now we wait! :sport026:

7. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I don't think you need to be nervous. Go to stirlingsoap.com and click the "About Us" link.

For me it isn't so much whether I can afford it. I just don't think most of them offer much for the huge price increase. Post-shave feel is what so many are chasing. I really don't care about that myself. I leave post-shave feel to the post-shave products. What I expect from my shaving soap is a great shave. I'm weird like that. By the simple yardstick of how good a shave I get, most of the "premium" soaps that I've tried just aren't.

8. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

Anybody have a Stirling badger shave brush? What do you think about it? I'm primarily a synthetic brush guy but am starting to think about adding a badger brush to my collection. They are on sale for $29.00 so they have piqued my interest. I would appreciate any input anyone might have on them.

9. Puma

Puma Well-Known Member

I've never used one of their brushes. It is a good price. The only thing I would say is that if you don't like it, you won't know for sure if that's because you got what you paid for or is it because you just don't like badgers. The flip side of that is if you do like it, you're then going to wonder how much more you might like more high-end brushes. Enjoy.

10. Latherin’ Luddite

Their butterscotch fan knot is a great brush. The 26mm brush is a lather hog...........at least mine is. Maybe I haven’t broken it in enough, and since it holds onto my lather, it doesn’t encourage my use.

The boar brush is fantastic. I lost hairs for a while but that eventually stopped mostly. The Lil’ Brudder is a great little performer, and builds and delivers good lather with miserly soap use.

11. john zeiger

Thank you much for the feedback Latherin’ Luddite. It was the fan that I was looking at. I think that I will give it a shot. I very much appreciate your feedback..

12. Paul Turner

John, we really advanced the Stoylin Exchange today....good for us :).

13. Latherin’ Luddite

I agree. And not only is the value high with Stirling products, but Rod and Mandy have also REALLY perfected their products. Walking away from known success is a risky proposition, both from a product development standpoint and with customer loyalty. I’m a sampler of one, but have almost total loyalty to Stirling, and have spent several hundred dollars as a result of their value pricing and performance.

The overall value and performance of Stirling product creates a strong market niche that’s worth holding onto. Newbies can dip their toes in the wet shaving pool without fear of a huge investment, and one hooked, proceed to explore on a budget.............all the while enjoying excellent performance. Yak milk and virgin butterfy wings might sound exciting to young hipsters, but will upset pretty much ALL the aforementioned apple carts.

Since this is a chance to blindly speculate, I’m guessing the NEXT BIG THING is related to fragrances. Maybe full sized bottles of full strength cologne. OR maybe branching out to a wide selection of women’s scents and creams. After all, women have been spending a fortune on their faces long before guys turned shaving into a hobby.

14. Latherin’ Luddite

I think you’ll love it. Be sure to wash it well with shampoo and give it a chance to open up first. It’s a great performer, and a crazy good value..........all the more so right now.

15. Paul Turner

Oh...sorry...I wasn't talkinabout the butterscotch fan knot...just the "strength" we put into this thread today(and I'm sure there will be more!).

16. john zeiger

You are right Paul. The Exchange has been the reason for several of my Stirling purchases and I'm sure I'm not alone. You just can't go wrong with Stirling.

17. Paul Turner

Sure can't. I think Jeff got me going with Stoylin a while before the Exchange was begun, but the latter has no doubt encouraged me all the more.

18. Latherin’ Luddite

Yeah, I thought I was quoting/replying to John. Oh well, we’re a pretty relaxed bunch.;)

19. john zeiger

I agree Latherin’ Luddite we are a relaxed bunch. I just ordered my brush and got it for half the sale price as I cashed in some of my Reward points. So I'll be getting a badger brush for around $20.00 including shipping. I'm very excited. Thank you again for your thoughts.

20. john zeiger

Paul I think it was y0u that got me going on this thread and for that I thank y0u. This is probably the most fun and educational thread that I've been apart of in any forum.