December 2018 30 Day Rule/Focux Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by NCoxSTL, Nov 30, 2018.

?

What will be the most decadent part of your December shaves?

1. My razor(s). Seriously - I'm bringing the finest of the fine.

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
  2. My soaps/cremes. Seriously - Gonna be so luxurious I may be unable to talk.

15 vote(s)
    36.6%
  3. My aftershaves/balms. Seriously - Almost too good to even use without being arrested.

10 vote(s)
    24.4%
  4. My cookies. Seriously - I'm drooling just thinking about those cookies.

6 vote(s)
    14.6%
  5. My donuts. Seriously - You think I drool over cookies? Check this out!

5 vote(s)
    12.2%
  6. My ice cream. Seriously - when you have ice cream who needs cookies and donuts?

9 vote(s)
    22.0%
  7. Just looking at my beautiful self in the mirror. Seriously - who could ask for anything more?

16 vote(s)
    39.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

DEcember 9
    Craftsman 9210 3/4
    Henry cavendish pure badger
    Stirling R4L ss&as combo

Well gentlemen, tonight was my first Stirling shave and I have to say I’m impressed with it. The soap has a enjoyable scent and lathered up very easily, with a good slickness and cushion. Plenty of lather for a solid three pass shave plus some. Nice clean post shave feel. 782F9F41-3652-489E-A7CA-5B8BBAF61956.jpeg

NCoxSTL, Terry, Linuxguile and 15 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

DECember Focus Part II

Proraso Red Soap
    30 DC LE brush
    Suribachi bowl
    '46-'47 Aristocrat
    Personna Blue
    Proraso Red AS
    SOTD 12092018.gif Seventh daily shave in a row. I don't think my face has evolved in a week, but I'm suffering no ill effects. Easy protective lather with the Cypress and Cashmere brush. Full three passes, a dabble of cleanup, DFS and no perceptible irritation. Great residual glide and post shave face feel from the soap. I'm liking the AS more every time I use it.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

NCoxSTL, Terry, Linuxguile and 15 others like this.
  3. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great pics of some beautiful gear, gentlemen!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Linuxguile, RyX, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  4. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I got an omega 100005 with beech handle for 15 bucks. Money well spent

Linuxguile, RyX, Norcalnewb and 6 others like this.
  5. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Great shave and pic Rick

Linuxguile, RyX, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  6. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Awesome shave and pic Paul

7. brit

brit in a box

lovely set up rick ,the crat is a great shave ,loves the red..i may try this "shave daily " thing...

Paul76, Linuxguile, RyX and 8 others like this.
  8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Decadent December!!

December 9, 2018

Razor - 1918 Gillette Old Type
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - Wolf Whiskers Custom Silvertip
    Post - Alum

All day I planned on changing the blade out before tonight's shave. After the rough treatment last night I figured it was the smart thing to do. See anything wrong with that sentence? Me....thinking something is the "smart" thing then doing it. We know how often that happens. By the time I got off the road for the night I had decided that it would simply be cowardly, unfair and quite illogical to change that blade. Does technique work or not? I still got a DFS last night even with some roughness and a couple of small nicks....is that not success?

So, staying with the "Old Timey Decadence" mini-theme, I kept the razor with the 3 day old Dura Sharp blade. For the classic soap - Arko. The classic brush? A badger. There you go. Then it occurred to me - if I'm going to use the old timey gear, then let's do an old timey shave. One pass, touch ups, splash and off we go. But....to be successful....it had to be at least DFS. No pressure.

So, one pass. I did my dead level best to keep the razor light on my face, the angle on the cap and let it work. It felt a bit smoother than last night but still wasn't quite as good as the first night. I got the pass done, then went for touch ups on my neck. That raised three nicks that were obvious. So I rinsed and checked. It's DFS. Barely, but it's good enough to leave alone. Now, the splash. The Veg for the old timey and, may I say, quite classy and elegant touch. And the quite classy and elegant burn. Man it was hot, but that's ok. It was an old-timey shave with an old-timey burn and my ability to laugh in the face of fire makes me old-timey tough. So there!

Enjoy your Monday fellow denizens!!

December 9 2018.jpg

Terry, Linuxguile, RyX and 15 others like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

nice old school set up..

10. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Sunday night December 9

Gillette W2 (1951) black-tipped SuperSpeed / vintage Wilkinson Sword (1)
    APShaveCo Flat Top synthetic brush
    La Toja shave cream
    Neutrogena Razor Defense Post Shave Balm
    IMG_20181210_001356.jpg

New razor and blade tonight and a cream I have only used once a couple years ago. Same brush as the last few shaves because I can now get a reliable face lather from it.

The La Toja cream is interesting because it does smell exactly like you're shaving in a mineral hot spring, salts and sulfur and all. It also left my skin feeling a bit dry, although deeply cleansed. It lathered easily and provided adequate coverage. The lather isn't rich and creamy like some other products but it doesn't dissipate either. Shave performance is fine. I think this would be a great product for someone prone to very oily skin and acne.

Coming from the Grand King Self Lubricating Razor, I felt the 1951 SuperSpeed had a lot more blade presence on the first pass. Of course, I was also mowing down a two day stubble... Two passes left me with a high-quality DFS. A bit of clean-up buffing on some spots on my chin and under my jaw would have turned it into a BBS, but I didn't bother chasing the baby. Alum was totally silent.

I finished with the Neutrogena balm, because the tube was making empty squelching noises yesterday, so I squeezed out the last remnants today and pitched the container. It's a good balm. I probably won't replace it though. I have lots of other balms and splashes now. For a heavy cream balm, I prefer Nivea Sensitive, Soapy Bathman or the Hendrix Classics Barbershop offering.

11. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Neal, I'd have to call that a success! Great post.

12. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I hear you there John, if 2 passes doesn't do the job for me then the rest stays on. It's going to feel like sandpaper in 3 hours again anyway. I also use the nivea balm at times when needed. Great report!

13. Screwtape

Screwtape A Shaving Butterfly

Thanks, Patrick.

14. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Fantastic. Wilson looks so happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Excellent shave Paul. Plus the soap helped a good cause.

16. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great shave Rick.

17. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great shave and recap John.

18. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

December 10, 2018
    OneBlade Genesis V2
    Feather FHS
    Wild West Brushworks with 30mm Tuxedo
    C&S Oxford and Cambridge
    Fine Lavender Aftershave

[​IMG]

The OneBlade Genesis always provides an excellent drama free shave which is exactly what I needed this morning. Two passes and touch ups ended in a near perfect shave. A splash of Fine Lavender and I am ready for the day. I hope everyone has a great Monday.

FaceScraper, Terry, brit and 13 others like this.
  19. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Great shave and wonderful photo, Clint.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

December 10th
    Razor: Timeless Bronze SB
    Blade: Gillette Silver Blue (1)
    Brush: SOC Taj Mistura
    Pre-shave: Stirling Mentholated
    Soap: B&M Reserve Spice
    Thayers Rose witch hazel
    AS: B&M Reserve Spice

Good morning!

Excellent shave to start the day! Three pass, BBS. The Timeless Bronze is such a smooth razor. Good looking too.

Have a great week, gentlemen! [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

FaceScraper, Terry, brit and 13 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.