Strop care

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by jason koonce, Dec 11, 2018.

1. jason koonce

jason koonce Well-Known Member

how Do you care for your strop and what all do you use? I want to make sure I have everything I need when my strop gets here to get started.

Keithmax likes this.
  2. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

All I do is rub my hand up and down the leather for a few strokes periodically. That’s it.

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

You shouldnt have to use anything, for a long while. If needed, a very little amount of Fromms Neatsfoot Oil.

jason koonce and Spyder like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

This plus after allot of use I will use some lighter fluid (Zippo type) on a paper towel to clean it then apply a small amount of neatsfoot oil.

jason koonce and Spyder like this.
  5. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

VDH Deluxe Lather rubbed in by hand

Keithmax, gssixgun and jason koonce like this.
  6. TheFiveO

TheFiveO Well-Known Member

I just wanted to add a little to @DaltonGang post in that when it comes to using neatsfoot oil, a little tiny bit goes a looooong way. I use just a few drops on my palm and spread it all throughout the face of the strop. I only add oil every 5 or 6 months, that's how infrequently it's needed

7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

If rubbed weekly or so the oil from your hands are enough. I use neats foot oil and tallow shaving soap when restoring old leather.

8. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Plus 3 or 4 here

The use of Neatsfoot oil for maintenance is highly overrated, it works awesome for the restoration of a neglected strop but needs to be used VERY sparingly for maintenance if at all

Hand rubbing, and if needed, a lathering with a good tallow soap followed by a good buff is a great maintenance routine

Strop on

9. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

C’ mom @Drygulch , when are you gonna weigh in :signs002:

jason koonce and Keithmax like this.
  10. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

Sorry haven’t been on much. It’s pretty much been covers. Use it and rub your hand on it to maintain, few drops of oil on you hands to renew if needed. Take care of it like a belt. Not much mainentnce needed.

Spyder likes this.