SOS: December 2018

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Boojum1, Nov 30, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The Other Donald

The Other Donald Well-Known Member

December 19, 2018

Gem Contour Razor
    Gem PTFE Blade
    Cremo Sandlewood Shave Cream
    Thatcher's Witch Hazel (Cucumber)
    Alt Innsbruck After Shave

IMG_1894.jpeg

2. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Ed Wüsthof Trident #144
    Rubberset 400-3
    Vintage Old Spice & Old Spice

C2675D98-4461-4C5A-9588-57B15834A08D.jpeg

3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Doug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boru62 likes this.
  4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Thank you Mark.

Boojum1 and Boru62 like this.
  5. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Does smell awesome. Figured I'll give it 3 tries like I did with MWF and Stirling to dial it in. also I'm going to try using a drier brush and add water as I go like I did when I first started out with Stirling 5 years ago. If all else fails, will grind it down and mix with a GD unscented, add a little Dominica AS and give that a try. Forgot to add the 2nd pic was after my first pass and I added water x2 and lather bloomed out again but thicker for the 2nd and final pass.

6. Droo78

Droo78 Well-Known Member

Very good cushion and slickness. It is actually the first beef tallow based soap I have tried. I am impressed and now see what I have been missing out on...
    Smell is very unique, I won't try to describe it any other way than good and masculine.

7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

December 20 2018
    Supply Co #3 plate
    Paladin
    SV Felce Aromatica
    Myrsol Agua Balsamica

[​IMG]

8. madmedic

madmedic Resistance Is Futile

I have one of those razors in my Aliexpress basket. How does it shave? Does it have a good range of efficiency. It looks similar to the (much more expensive) Q Shave Parthenon.

Edison Carter and clint64 like this.
  9. Smooth Steve

Smooth Steve Well-Known Member

12/20/18 Shave of the Day
    Face Wash with The Sudsy Soapery Black Soap Made in Africa
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements High Jump 47 Conditioning Shampoo Puck (W/ Yucca Root & Cider Vinegar)
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements CUBE Mentholated Preshave Soap
    Stirling Soap Company Christmas Eve Shave Soap
    RazoRock Rosso Corsa F-400 XXL 34MM Noir Plissoft Synthetic Shaving Brush
    LOHS Art Student Handmade Pottery Bowl
    OneBlade Razor Model 2.0 “Genesis”
    Feather FHS-10 Hi-Stainless Blade - 2nd Shave
    RazoRock Alum Block
    Homemade Lime Infused Witch Hazel
    RazoRock Mr. Pink After Shaving Splash
    The Sudsy Soapery 100% All Natural Rose & Black Pepper Creamy Aftershave Balm
    Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Cold Spices Natural Deodorant - New Sport Strength Formula

D IMG_2133.jpg

10. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Nah. I'm sold on the oil as it hasn't let me down. Some soaps suck the oils out of my skin between passes and I've found the pre-shave oil keeps the skin well moisturized to survive any lather (although I'm finding most of the solid artisans have soap that doesn't cause drying and the pre-shave oil isn't even necessary often-times).

11. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

Hybrid RazoRock Game Changer .84 P on Barbaros Levend Handle P / Personna Platinum / Wolf Whiskers Tmesis / WK Pasha's Pride
    [​IMG]

12. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Thursday
    December 20, 2018

Blackland Blackbird OC
    Polsilver SI
    Elite Razors Turquoise TGN Silvertip Grade A
    Savonierre Du Moulin
    Fine Lavender
    Brooks Brothers Classic

[​IMG]

13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Today's shave was with an early 1970's Commie Razor. I had a fantastically smooth, and very tinny loud, 2 pass shave, that left me BBS. Zero issues. These Russian Beauties sure can hold a sharp, smooth edge.

Razor- Russian "Орбита"(Orbita) 1970's
    Brush- Omega 10098 Boar
    Soap- Arko/Sandalwood Scented
    Aftershave- Florida Water

PC190683.JPG

14. Tim Spencer

THURSDAY'S SHAVE

[​IMG]

Shampoo - Paul Mitchell (Tea Tree) Lavender Mint
    Bath Soap - C.O. Bigelow - Lavender & Peppermint
    Bath Epsom Salt - Better Bath Better Body "Peppermint & Lavender" - Back Healing
    [​IMG]
    Razor - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - Double Open Comb Ascension (316L Stainless Steel Adjustable) (Fully tightened down)
    Blade - Astra Superior-Platinum *Fresh Blade
    Shave Brush - Vigshaving Nylon Synthetic
    Shave Soap - Martin de Candre - L'Original
    Aftershave - FINE - Lavender Pour Homme
    Deodorant - Ooh La Active Organics "Lavender"
    Fragrance - The Art of Shaving - Green Lavender Cologne Intense

Testing the PAA SS DOC razor with a blade "my gut" picked out during my shave with the BiC Chrome-Platinum that seemed a bit 'off'. Couldn't put my finger on why the BiC CP didn't work. Perhaps it was just me getting used to the razor because my last shave with the BiC CP on that 6th shave came out 'solid'/'good'. Not 'perfect', but really 'good', which was a hell of a lot better than the previous shaves I got to start off with this new razor. I debated whether to go with a 7th shave on the BiC CP blade, or try a round of shaves with my 'gut instinct pick' Astra SP. I was also contemplating testing out a different bath soap centered on just Lavender, minus the peppermint, and just shaving with the OneBlade, but where is the fun in that? Peppermint is in season with Christmas and the OneBlade will predictably shave perfect. Zero danger. Zero adventure. Zero suspense. (which can be good sometimes). I'm going to go with the fun and unpredictable shave and try the Astra SP blade in the PAA SS DOC razor. If I butcher my face then that is just the way it goes.

***EDIT - The shave felt great during the shave. 3-passes + detailed cleanup. However, despite a very comfortable shave, I still got irritation on my neck. People have called the PAA DOC razors 'gentle' but IMO, this razor is very aggressive. Even the least aggressive setting (screwed down all the way) has caused irritation. The only time irritation was low and within acceptable tolerance on my neck was when I had my 6th shave with the BiC Chrome-Platinum blade. This would seem to indicate that I have to go with a more dull/smooth blade which will likely last fewer shaves. On the next blade change I will swing entirely in the extreme-smooth blade direction and shave with a Derby Blade. Yeah. That extreme. No razors have shaved well with a Derby blade for me and I experience pulling/tugging with the blade, but gotta try everything. So far I haven't found the right blade for the razor. I still think this razor can deliver a stellar shave with the right blade and more usage/practice.

To minimize the near razor-burn type irritation on my neck, I went to the Shave-Den mentholated witch hazel directly after the shave, then the scheduled aftershave, then a 2-tier balm with my Neo-Cutis Bio-Gel (super expensive) which has advanced skin healing factors and my newest balm-find Advanced Clinicals Anti-aging Hyaluronic Acid Cream. Then patted talc-powder over the top (which left a bit of a film, which I later rubbed some water over when it all dried. So far, the prototype concoction for treating post-shave irritation is working okay. We'll find out tomorrow morning how effective this layered approach does. The Bio-Gel has worked in the past for those shaves that scrape too raw.

The fault of the results had nothing to do with the products. I just over-did it. The soap, if anything, made the shave so comfortable that I couldn't detect what the blade was doing. As I said, during the shave I had fantastic comfort and no cuts, no weepers. I assumed that it went great until I did the final rinse and could feel the first inklings of irritation. Then began to understand I misjudged the number of strokes and passes I could get away with.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2018
  15. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

I found it by accident actually when I was reading about the Parthenon. I have never shaved with the Q-shave version so I can only tell you what I've read. Reportedly, the Q-shave is MUCH more aggressive - scary so even if you believe what others say. The weishi goes from very mild to mod aggressive but not uncomfortably so. They are available on eBay and Amazon here in the states too. It was reviewed positively by people like Mantic59 (aka sharpologist) and I do like it.

I think it is a decent inexpensive adjustable for what it is. It needs to be on the highest setting to easily initially load the blade, and it takes some getting used to. I need more time with it but yes, I do like it. I'm going to keep mine for the time being anyways. I'm not planning on taking an expensive (aka Rex) or vintage adjustable traveling so this razor might be my guy. For the cost ~$30-35 it's not a bad risk to try, and from somewhere like Amazon, you can always return it if it doesn't work for you. Just my 2 cents .

Speaking of the Rex... Although I received a new to me ER-1914 in mail call today, I feel the Rex calling me tonight. Decisions, decisions...

Josh

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

16. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

RR Mamba V1 .53 & Kai SS
    Maggard 30mm B&W
    Artisan Soap Shoppe Triumph tallow
    Thayers Medicated WH Astringent
    Artisan Soap Shoppe Triumph a/s splash
    776F696F-FD16-441D-A48F-61D2BA934F20.jpeg
    A quick 2 pass shave that resulted in a fine DFS. Good performance from the Artisan Soap Shoppe products. Scent was a little “meh” but, in the end a good shave. Have a great evening and amazing shaves everyone... :)

17. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

Yeah... as stated a little bit ago, my Rex won out. I'll try to give the ER-1914 a go tomorrow. The Rex is so smooth . The tabac was no match for the AP Shave Co Synbad - bundles of lather in no time. Have a great night everyone.

Josh [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

18. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

20 December 2018

* Charcoal Goods Level 3 SB + Stork Ex Brass
    * Wizamet Iridium Super
    * Epsilon 2-Band + Doug Korn Faux Briarwood C7
    * Jabonman/Eufros Sandolo
    * Unrefined Shea Butter
    * Bergamot/Vetiver EO

[​IMG]

19. Tim Spencer

That brush handle very well might have no equal.

20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

New
    Decadent December!!

December 19, 2018

Razor - Gillette NEW LC (Delta Echo)
    Blade - [​IMG] (3)
    Soap - Blood on Steel 30 DC LE
    Brush -30 DC LE
    Post - Alum

It's a Limited Edition shave tonight when it comes to brush and soap. The 30 DC LE brush paired with the 30 DC meet up soap from Jeeves, Blood on Steel. I'm keeping the AS out and ready for tomorrow night too since we're going to see the Nutcracker at the St. Louis Ballet. I surprised my wife with tickets as she's always wanted to see it performed by them. So, an early dinner tomorrow night at Stefenina's for some authentic Italian food, then off for a night of high class entertainment. And I'll be smelling wonderful, all thanks to Jeeves.

As for the shave tonight, it was three passes of glorious goodness with the NEW LC and Voskhod loving the lather. Sad to think of picking a new setup, really, but I have plans. Hope you all have a great night and a fantastic Thursday!

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.