Going to the indoor range tomorrow

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by gorgo2, Dec 21, 2018.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

That was fun. Need new glasses. Did ok at 5 yards, not so good at 7 and 10. Biggest issue is several shots going high to the right when I was sure I was dead on. Not sure what I need to address to stop that, but found my grouping was usually better when I squeezed them off rapidly.

Next time I bring a few extra boxes, I blew through my 50 in a half hour. Need more than 2 magazines, too.

2. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

If you are right handed, high right would indicate that you need to relax your hand when pulling the trigger. Let your support hand do 95% of the holding. What happens is that when you squeeze the trigger, you other fingers will roll a little as well.

Yeah 50 rounds is nothing. I'll normally load up lots of extra mags, that way not spending as much time loading there. Also don't buy the ammo at the range, it's normally over priced. You'll normally get your best prices at the big box stores, depending on your area...

Bama Samurai and gorgo2 like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I bet that's exactly what the problem was.

Remington green/white box from WM, under $10 for 50. Would have gone with Winchester white box (and may yet try it) for $2 cheaper but had read reports of it hanging up. Had no problems today with the Remington.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  4. Weasel640

I've used both, both great range ammo for the cost. The Remington is often not available (location dependent), so I normally go with Winchester. Have shot thousands and never a problem, always on target as well. The cheaper Federal, and CCI ammo tend to leave my guns more dirty so I stay away from those...

Bama Samurai likes this.
  5. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Accuracy can be affected, depending on the brand?

Bama Samurai likes this.
  6. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Absoldamnlutely. And depending on the brand, magazine & pistol. I have found that it can even be batch dependent.

gorgo2 and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I don't know much about shooting, but how about aiming the gun a little to the left, so that when the shots go to the right, they will be down the middle?

gorgo2 likes this.
  8. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

His shots were likely off because he uses his right hand to pull the trigger. It's a grip and balance issue.

gorgo2 and Paul Turner like this.
  9. Weasel640

Yup most likely.
    Because that's just bad marksmanship. If you adjust for some shots then the shots that do land where you are aiming are now going to be placed wrong. Not to mention, you still have not fixed the root of the problem. Good marksmen work on form so that ALL the shots will be placed correctly.

mrchick and gorgo2 like this.
  10. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Trigger control and sight alignment are everything.

I was a very competent shoot with a 45acp 1911, but many years later I got a S&W 640 no-dash Centennial 38 Spl. for carry.

First time at the range I was putting them everywhere. I couldn't believe. I bought a case of 38 ammo and planned on putting some serious time working out with it. It it didn't come together to my satisfaction, I was going to trade it for maybe a glock 380.

Well, before I had time to go to the range, I sat around the house dry firing with snap-caps. I also had snap-caps in a reloader and practiced speed reloads aswell.

I got to where I could two hand hold, with a quarter on the front sight and double action dryfire indefinitely without dropping the quarter. The Centennial is DA only, but you should practice DA shooting anyway, because if you have a DA revolver...thats how you should use it in ANY self defensive situation...NEVER single action.

Long story short...I took my case of ammo to the range, and first cylinder full I put 5 in one 3" whole at 50 feet. I couldn't believe it!

Accuratcy stayed like that all day. Didn't need to workout. That dryfire trigger control workout at home did it all! I can't say it enough....Trigger control...)being able to drop the hammer without moving the gun)...and sight alignment...Thats it!

Of course you need to fire the ammo you will be using enough to see wear it hits...and thats that.

Have fun and get some snap caps, because you need them for dry firing...Empty cases work a little. But the empty primers move forward and don't support the firing pin adequitely.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Try archery; it’s a lot quieter. (OK, I’m biased.) I had to say that or folks around here would think I was an impostor.

Seriously, enjoy & be safe.

12. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

I like the electronic ear protectors, the kind that mute when a round is fired.
    You don't ever have to lift your muffs off to have a conversation or talk to your buddy. This keeps your hearing protected better. Women seem to like them alot. I like the stereo ones, if one side dies you still have one that works.
    tp

13. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Concealed class Wednesday.

Bird Lives and Bama Samurai like this.
  14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

That makes me think of when my Dad(well, actually, I wasn't born yet!), and my Mom(again, I wasn't born yet!,) were out in Jackson Hole, WY. They went to a shooting range. He fired the gun with his left hand, which was his strong hand. I imagine he did pretty well. (These were from old family albums).

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    gorgo2 and Bama Samurai like this.
  15. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I used to be a member of the St Pete Police Pistol Range in Pinellis....On average I'd say I'd burn between 500 to 1000 rounds a week...

But back then you could buy Army Surplus 45acp for .10 a round....I never thought I'd see these prices for ammo....never!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

mrchick, gorgo2 and Bama Samurai like this.
  16. Bama Samurai

CO is open carry legal and legal in vehicles, except for Denver and Boulder proper.

People actually do it.

GatorJoe and gorgo2 like this.
  17. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Texas is Open Carry now as well.

Birds do it, bees do it.
    Even educated fleas do it.
    Let's do it, let's ...

Frijolero and gorgo2 like this.
  18. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I can carry open or concealed in Idaho without a permit.

19. Bama Samurai

gorgo2 and Frijolero like this.
  20. Weasel640

Yeah? Well, that's just, like, your opinion, man...

At a glance the thumbnail is a bit misleading compared to the actual conclusion.