Recommendations: First "Premium" DE Razor Purchase

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by mousecop, Dec 17, 2018.

1. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

Hi everyone,

So this past week, I've spent some time selling off alot of my shaving gear that has gone essentially unused the past few months. I will be using those funds along with some gift cards I will be receiving from X-Mas to purchase my first "premium" DE razor.

As a reference, here are razors that I have used/currently use and how I liked them:

-Mhule R41 (2013): Very very efficient but a bit too much for my face and skin tolerances. Prefer razors that have a bit more comfort
    -Gillette Slim Adjustable: Lovely little shaver. I prefer to use it on 5 or 4, and 3 for respective subsequent passes. However, the head geometry makes a little tricky to get a clean shave on my neck which has lots of contours.
    -RR GameChanger .84-P: This is my go-to right now. Very efficient but very very smooth shaver. No problems with irritation whatsoever on my face, and minimal irritation on my neck when using it daily.
    -EJ DE89: My first razor. Very smooth but the angle needs to be precise when using and thus makes it difficult to get good results on my neck.

I prefer mid-aggressive razors because I do not have a "thick/full" beard, but I do have very very coarse facial hair. I have very sensitive skin on my neck area with trouble spots on both sides of my adam's apple. Face is never really a problem (no sensitive spots). I also shave daily or at least 6x a week most of the time.

So now, here are the razors I am considering and where all of your guys' opinions come in (with primary interest in the Timeless Razors):

Timeless .68 Scalloped Bar
    Timeless .95 Scalloped Bar
    ATT Windsor
    Karve Shaving Christopher Bradley Razor (B or C plate)

Thanks!
    Mike

MR41, preidy, brit and 3 others like this.
  2. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

I'd say the Rockwell 6C. Six different settings to try and I'm sure you'll find the right one. I really didn't think it would work for me. But I was sent one and after finding the right plate to use, it's excellent. Just picking this one as I have no experience with the others.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2018
    Trigger, Tdmsu, Enrico and 1 other person like this.
  3. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Off the ones you have listed I would pick the Karve first. I would forget the B plate and go with the C&D plates. The build quality of the Karve rivals that of my Wolfman razors. I had the Timeless 0.98mm OC and found it to be a very smooth and efficient shaver as well. It looks better than the Karve but does cost more. Hope this helps.

4. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Are you only looking at modern razors, or can vintage ones make the cut?
    If you are going with "modern only" may I throw out the Merkur 34C? It is what I transitioned to after my de89. It is able to handle a Derby to a voshkod blade. YMMV, but I think it is super capable.
    Also, if you want to look at vintage, a Gillette Rocket would be great or even a blue tip. They can handle any blade you use.
    Any interest in SE razors?

RyX and brit like this.
  5. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

This is funny...
    Seems the best performing DE razor I own is the $10 Ming Shi 2000S that I got from Andrew's Shave Shop-Etsy, last Christmas.

I know some will think that I'm making fun of DEs because of my love for Injectors and SE's...But my Honest Opinion.....well, that Ming Shi copy of the Merkur Futur is the only DE I have had that can hold it's own with my SEs! And it only cost $10, lol! But if I had paid $50 or $10, the bottom line is it produces my favorite DE results, period.

I was thinking of this Christmas copping a Progress or Varient...but the Ming Shi is just so strong, I couldn't justify it. So I copped a WWII vintage Schick instead.

Great Shaves Everyone!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RyX, Sara-s, brit and 1 other person like this.
  6. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

What setting on the Ming Shi?

RyX likes this.
  7. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I have used several....But have settled on 4.5 for the most part.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  8. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

-

All great razors no doubt but in Jan I'm most likely to pull the trigger on my first premium razor - a Copper Windsor. A real looker IMV and from what I read it shaves very similar to the NEW SC and/or pre-war Tech because of it similar rigid blade design. I own both of these vintage razors and consider them to be at the top of the heap of my 45+ vintage shavers.

RyX and brit like this.
  9. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Before you buy anything high end if you still have a Slim open it up to 9 first and put in a few shaves as a baseline. If it does the job then you need to ask yourself are buying a premium razor because you are chasing the perfect shave or you got the collecting bug. If you are chasing the perfect shave find other users you can swap razors with the try out some of these first before spending lots of money throwing good money after bad. Unlike vintage if you know how to buy you will loose your shirt money wise if you think you will break even trying to resell these at what you paid new.

It is a risk vs reward type of thing. High end razors are high risk, low reward when the information arbitrage is in favor of the vendors. Don't pay attention to those vanity muppet types who praise how pretty their razors are or who mindlessly repeat talking points used to sell the razors unless you are also one of those Emperor's New Clothes types.

RyX and brit like this.
  10. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

All very true. And TRUST ME, I am no "Emperor's new Clothes" type. That made laugh hahaha. I'm always content with the things I have. Only have two razors, a Slim and a Razorock Game Changer. Both of which I have enjoyed. And I've tried and sold many others, mostly vintage gillette's (NEW LC, NEW SC, old type, tech, fatboy, superspeed, aristocrat, EJ DE89, Mhule R41 etc...). Some I didn't like and some I liked. So my case is that I am trying to chase the perfect shave as many of us do. The only problem with swapping razors is that 1). only have 2 razors for swapping and 2.) many people who own the higher end razors are not willing to swap, which I obviously understand why. I figured I would splurge on a high end razor with money/gift cards that will be gifted to me since I rarely ever splurge on myself, I may just end up with my no. 1 razor. And if not, I can always sell it for a good portion of its retail value and at the same time would probably avoid another high end purchase in the future. And that, I'm okay with.

RyX and brit like this.
  11. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Like I said try your Slim on an 8 or 9 setting first. I was surprised just how good one shaves at a 9 after doing it earlier this week. I didn't have any problems with irritation or nicks and weepers. First time I ever opened it up that high.

RyX and brit like this.
  12. The Other Donald

The Other Donald Well-Known Member

Feather AS-D2.

13. brit

brit in a box

i have and like a number of vintage british gillettes, my favorites being the new rfb, flat bottom tech,#22 aristocrat ,and an aristocrat jr.these are mild shavers but i like that,i also own a merkur 34c,a razorock mamba , and a karve on its way.these are mild too but thats ok for me..my vintage razors also have historical importance for me as well..

RyX likes this.
  14. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    If I may ask the OP, what exactly is your definition of "high end"? (No snarkyness intended here)

RyX likes this.
  15. octoserge

octoserge Member

I’ll keep it simple: The Timeless .95 SB ended MY search for the perfect DE razor. Your option of a scalloped head would be excellent as well. I’d go with their smooth top cap, but that’s just me.

RyX likes this.
  16. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Have you bought it yet? If so, have you used it yet? Pics please.

17. mousecop

mousecop Active Member

I have not yet! I will be purchasing on Christmas!

I will definitely send pics once I have it!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

RyX and Sara-s like this.
  18. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

I haven’t used the razors in your considering list. I have heard that it’s hatd to go wrong with ATT. For what it’s worth my facial profile and shaving frequency is very similar to yours and a plain ol Merkur Progress dialed down works for me . A Gillette Red Tip is also great daily.

RyX and brit like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Many nice suggestions and good advice.

I use to want to shot the moon and try the most coveted of razors; and over time have owned and tried nearly every vintage Gillette and Schick. After experiencing them I find myself gravitating back to the basics ... Techs, Flares and Kronas. Yes, I have few others mixed in (Minora, Star, Ikon and etc.), but I'm happy with the basic ones I have. I equate it to a vehicle ..... It's designed to get you from point A to point B and what you buy to do that, can vary to extremes. King Gillette first started selling razors over 110 years ago; people today are merely trying to re-invent the wheel. I'm not saying they're not good razors, just that I don't want to spend three figures on a 3-4 inch piece of metal when a $5 vintage works every bit as well.

To each their own.

God bless you on what ever decision you make.

RyX, Frijolero and brit like this.
  20. brit

brit in a box

i am for all that improves wet shaving for all interested,and expands the community ,but i to gravitate to vintage gillettes as well, flat bottom tech,new rfb, rockets are my best shaves to date,old school,elegant in their own way, and proven..the new stuff is classy and cool ,and opens the door for folks who don t like old stuff..happy christmas keith..

RyX, Frijolero and Enrico like this.