Someone is watching

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by John Beeman, Dec 24, 2018.

1. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I just "unsubscribed" from a major shaving vendor's email list.

This is a vendor that I have purchased from in the past and will probably purchase from in the future but their incessant pestering via email (multiple times per week) and pop-up advertising has gotten to be a bit much.

Granted, I understand that for all millennia savvy vendors have gauged their customer's (and prospective customer's) behaviors, habits, and preferences. And maybe I'm just turning into a grumpy old man; but it seems almost creepy when I check a price on an item (for whatever reason) that I almost immediately receive a personal email telling me that they noticed I was "in the market" and they would like to assist me in my quest. This of course without even a clue as to why I was in the market in the first place and no thanking me for visiting their establishment or inquiring as to my interest (or lack thereof).

Internet marketing (for me) has started to feel more and more like some combination of carnival hawking and hidden camera peeping where every keystroke is being monitored and then thrown into an algorithm that purports to understand my needs and intentions in a way that feels most impersonal despite their targeted approach which calls me by name and reminds me of my most recent actions.

And it's not just the internet. I used to frequent a major grocery retailer until they started mailing me coupons (at my home address) for the items I regularly purchase. They know what I buy because I shop with a credit card and all of my information is at their disposal. At first it seemed great; no sorting coupons for things I might need but instead only receiving ones for the things that I use. But after awhile the few dollars off my weekly grocery bill became less important as I realized (at the self checkout) that no store employee ever spoke to me but someone was definitely watching. These days my grocery shopping is at a smaller store where the employees recognize me and seem genuinely interested that I have paid them a visit. I'm sure they're watching me too but it doesn't feel creepy or impersonal. And it's not that I need to be recognized or have someone interested in me. I have a busy life and take full advantage of automated shopping conveniences that save me time and effort. It's just the strange feeling I get when someone lets me know that they've been looking in my windows.

Anyhow, I need to finish my rant and close the curtains. I thank you for reading. If you are so inclined I would be most interested to know your feelings and dealings about and with current marketing trends that you are the target of.

....and I won't be sending you a targeted message after I see you looking

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
    Frijolero, Redrock, MR41 and 5 others like this.
  2. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Yes, yes it is watching.

3. Orville

Orville Active Member

We live in historic times whether we want to or not it would seem. We seem to have traded our privacy off for a perceived convenience. I've had to quit several email lists for the same reason but in doing so I've noticed my budget benefits.
    There's a distinct possibility that marketing is ruining society since it's methods are just a form of propaganda designed to sell you things you "want" in place of things you actually need.

4. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

I have been getting emails from a company called Basic outfitters, I've never heard of them before.
    Just the other day I received an email from West Coast Shaving giving me a A five dollar coupon for Basic outfitters, now I am trying to find out if WCS gave basic outfitters my email. Numerous phone calls to WCS go right to voice mail, will try to call them after the holidays.
    Basic Outfitters are based out of NYC, they are a men's clothing store.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Frijolero and John Beeman like this.
  5. Orville

Orville Active Member

Ask them for your cut of the profit they made off your information and see what they say. ;)

6. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

A little over a year ago I gave up my facebook account due to the same reason. I merely mentioned a product I was looking into, and I suddenly received adds and emails regarding that product. People wonder why I don't want those electronic assistant Alexa, Siri, or Google .... why invite Big Brother in to my home. It's like sheep inviting wolves into their flock.

Low tech is looking better all the time.

7. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

It gets even worse when you have to use an email account to order parts and equiptment at work.
    I have an email account only for ordering and the like. It keeps my other account cleaner. Done this for years.
    Yes! Your a grumpy old man, so am I!
    I have no problem with it ;).
    Good luck!
    Merry Christmas
    tp

brit, Frijolero, Redrock and 2 others like this.
  8. stuartganis

stuartganis Well-Known Member

That would be zero, unsubscribed right away, WCS will be next.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

I think we're heading to a world where marketing is something like the movie "Minority Report".

Herm

10. CarlfromMO

CarlfromMO Well-Known Member

My daughter, (teenager at that time), was over at a friend's house. The friend has an iPhone with a Facebook account. They decided to do an experiment. They spoke to each other in front of the iphone and mentioned "cat food" as many times as possible in normal sentences. "Do we have any cat food?" "I think we are out of cat food". "We need more cat food". Keep in mind they don't have cats, don't visit cat websites, have never purchased cat food or cat products. Well, yes, you guessed rightly, they got a banner ad for cat food when they accessed the Facebook account from that phone.

The solution? I have no idea. Live off-grid? I have heard, (disclaimer, I don't know if it is true), that even the tax assessors can view satellite photos to check for new out buildings and construction work that might increase the assessed value of the property.

brit, Frijolero, Redrock and 3 others like this.
  11. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

Privacy is dead. It is sad, but that is the reality of our day. That said, we don't have to give away all of it. People post way too much online. Add a few drinks and they post even more. Limiting access to accounts will help with general privacy, but companies like Facebook, Google, Alexis, etc. will continue to give you "free" services in exchange for your personal information. Whether it is worth it can only be determined by each individual.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

(Apparently, Rockwell (son of Barry Gordy) was just being paranoid and no one was actually watching, at least in terms of his career. :( )

And yes, that's Michael Jackson on backing vocals.

13. brit

brit in a box

i am a grumpy old man as well, i only use my laptop for here and a model race car sight, have ad block , and never subscribe to any news letters.. i cut cable because i was tired of paying for commercials every 15 minutes during shows.. just a movie and u tube guy now.. good enough..

Terry, Frijolero, Orville and 2 others like this.
  14. jar

jar Well-Known Member

Long long ago in a land far far away, when we lived in small communities, everyone knew everything about everyone. There was no privacy, there were no secrets, and all was kept secret even if everyone knew.

Enrico, Terry, John Beeman and 3 others like this.
  15. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Yes. We are being watched 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. If you have a cell phone, Google monitors your movements and location 24X7. They know exactly where you are at all times. Malls, service stations, restaurants, etc are videoing you 24X7. Email listings are being sold and traded. Someone knows all of the key strokes on your computer. The US, the Chinese, the Russians and others have satellites with unbelievable eavesdropping capabilities. For privacy, these are scary times. And, there is nothing you can do about it.

16. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I've had the experience with the coupons too. I don't shop for much at Meijer. But out of a million items that they sell, I get coupons for the 10 that I bought recently. No chance that was random.

I don't believe that they get name and address from a debit card transaction. The only place I've ever given them that info is at the pharmacy. I would think it's a HIPAA violation to use that though. Maybe my phone ratted me out? There's a scary article about that here.

In any case, it's had the unintended effect of driving me away from their store.

John Beeman, brit and stuartganis like this.
  17. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

For the unwanted emails, just unsubscribe. If they still send you emails (usually the case), then block their emails or mark them as spam. Works for me.

For store loyalty cards of any sort, never use your real first name, a real address, or real phone number on the application. Then you avoid a sea of junk mail.

Anybody can get a ton of info on anyone else. Buy an Intelius report on yourself to see exactly what. Additionally, all the purchase information and history from credit cards, loyalty cards, online shopping, websites viewed, etc. is aggregated and sold to advertisers. That is why stores give you discounts, but only if you use the loyalty card.
    They are building profiles to target ads to predict consumer behavior. This isn't anything new, and the same goes for your smartphone apps.

Besides, Santa has known whether you have been naughty or nice since you were a toddler.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2018
    John Beeman, brit and Frijolero like this.