Gillette 1916 single ring - case restored

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by dangermouse, Nov 21, 2018.

1. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg
    I have a 1916 standard set, being delivered tomorrow; I feel it was a bargain at £38. I have asked a professional antique restorer on the best way to clean and restore the leather, which looks very good anyway. The first question Mr. Johnson asked was what type of leather is it shark or alligator. I don't have a clue - does anyone happen to know, please?

2. dangermouse

For your interest guys, it's made of shark skin. Shark skin has quite a distinctive grain pattern, at least compared to alligator, snake, lizard or cow. Cheers.

brit and Jack19 like this.
  3. Jack19

Jack19 Member

I did not know that. Thanks for the learning experience.

dangermouse and brit like this.
  4. Jack19

Jack19 Member

OP, I use that razor, a 1916 Original Single Ring Original Model, as my daily shaver. Fantastic razor. Hope you enjoy it.

Edited to add, I've seen very few with the snap intact.

dangermouse, BlaydRunner and brit like this.
  5. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    That's a beautiful set.

BlaydRunner and brit like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

that is a beautiful set..i have an early canadian single ring that i plan to get well acquainted with..

dangermouse and BlaydRunner like this.
  7. BlaydRunner

BlaydRunner Member

Very nice set at a great price. I have a 1905,1909, & 1919. 1905 needs cleaned up, and have a case for it with blade banks. But the case is not as good a shape as yours. I plan on using one of them in the near future. Nice to use something your great great Grandpa may have used. Enjoy.

dangermouse likes this.
  8. BlaydRunner

BlaydRunner Member

Oh by the way "Blackrock" may be something you could use on it after you clean it. I understand it works well on exotic leathers. Matter of fact used it on my snake boots, and works well.

dangermouse likes this.
  9. dangermouse

Nice!

BlaydRunner likes this.
  10. dangermouse

I've bought a cut-off from a piece of shark skin leather, as I wanted to check the grain pattern on the leather. The 'snap' leather goes through a hole in the case and attaches, inside the case underneath the purple cloth withered the Gillette logo is. I'm dubious about pulling that purple cloth out to strengthen the snap!

11. dangermouse

I thought to place a couple of pictures of the case, all cleaned up. I used warm soapy water and a soft toothbrush to very gently wash the leather in small areas. I started on the bottom of the case. The shark leather can take it but an awful lot of colour came away with the dirt; it was necessary. I used a leather conditioner and just let that sit until it dried, before using a leather dye; I wiped it on with a cotton bud. That made the colour a little too intense so, once it had dried, I used the leather conditioner again which removed some of the colour.

You can really see the tear on the leather snap flap. I think the dirt was holding together.
    image.jpeg image.jpeg

12. BlaydRunner

BlaydRunner Member

Cleaned up nice!

dangermouse likes this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

looks awesome..

dangermouse likes this.
  14. dangermouse

Thank you. I must admit I'm pleased. I'm scouring eBay for another blade holder and some of the Gillette three hole blades in the green packet. Someone in the U.K. must have some. Annoyingly, I used to have a blade holder for this set and passed it on.