Summertime...Barbeques, Grills & Smokers!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by HolyRollah, Jun 11, 2013.

1. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I did a 2lb rib steak on the grill for Christmas dinner. Just about the only time I buy them is when the market has them on sale for Christmas. At $5 a pound, I couldn't pass it up.

ribsteak.jpg

PatrickA51, brit, Jorvaljr and 3 others like this.
  2. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Thanks, no problem on the response. That is how I do mine, 2/2, except I make mine longer when cooking butts and ribs, since I usually cook 3 to 4 racks of ribs in an upright holder, or a couple of butts and that amount will take longer. I frequently make a shorter snake on either side when smoking a turkey breast, lighting both snakes at opposite ends. That cooks a little hotter, and doesn’t take as long.

3. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Those look great!

4. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I’m with you on not wrapping, I never wrap mine. I agree on the texture issue as well. I pull my ribs when the rack starts to break when you lift it up. Bones don’t pull right out clean, but the meat is plenty tender.

Tiredricefarmer likes this.
  5. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

@PanChango, that looks great! Is a rib steak different from a ribeye? I never see ribeye for that price at my local grocer, which has their own butchers with a usually good selection. We cooked ribeyes in a cast iron skillet last night! I like grilling, but steaks in a well seasoned cast iron skillet are also great.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2018
    PanChango likes this.
  6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

@BamaT Thanks. You are absolutely correct about cast iron too. They make great steaks. One of our local stores (ShopRite) puts the roasts on sale for Christmas. The sale price is normally $5.77 and they have a coupon for an additional dollar off bringing it down to $4.77 per pound. I am single and have my mother over for Christmas. There is no need for a big roast. The butcher is nice enough to cut the roast into steaks for me. I normally end up with two in the freezer. I just did a quick google search on Ribeye vs. Rib Steak and came up with the following.

Jorvaljr, Erik Redd and BamaT like this.
  7. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

It's only Prime Rib if it's Prime grade, otherwise it's rib roast, as I understand. My wife doesn't like the fat in Prime Rib, but I think it makes it much tastier than the select grade. But with 4 college age kids home for the holidays, I don't argue with paying $5 a pound instead of $10.

PanChango and Tiredricefarmer like this.
  8. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

I prefer the bone-in rib eye stake. To me it has a better flavor.

Jorvaljr and PanChango like this.
  9. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I have been having lots of problems with my hands and never can get around to my e-mail. I’m on my wife’s iPad and not only am I now very jealous but looking at all of this food now I’m very hungry :angry019: :angry017:

“Happy New Year”
    Simper Fi :shaver

PanChango and Redrock like this.
  10. PatrickA51

I like the bone in Rib Eye, but my favorite steak is a Porterhouse. :happy088:

PanChango and Jorvaljr like this.
  11. Redrock

Yup. That is a good one too. I prefer cuts like the bone-in rib eye and porterhouse over cuts such as sirloin, t-bone, and NY strip. Not a knock on those cuts. I prefer the others.

PatrickA51 likes this.
  12. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

I use to love porterhouse but ribeye is where my heart lies now. Besides the porterhouse is waaay to expensive most times.

PanChango likes this.
  13. Jorvaljr

Tonight’s dinner has become sort of a tradition for the past few years now.

Smoking a pork butt and making pulled pork sandwiches. IM also sauteeing green beans and mushrooms. Wifey making mashed potatoes and she made a lemon merengue for dessert.
    14E0E29B-F7F9-41B3-B488-BF39ACFA85F2.jpeg

Erik Redd, Redrock, brit and 2 others like this.
  14. PatrickA51

I was going to have a Standing Rib Roast for dinner tonight, but before we could start it cooking or neighbor called and is bringing over enchiladas and tamales . I guess being and getting old has it's advantages. We have enough food brought over by our neighbors to feed an army.:happy036::happy093::signs011:
    Happy New Year

PanChango, Jorvaljr and brit like this.
  15. PatrickA51

I'm jealous.

16. Jorvaljr

Hot damn enchiladas and tamales sounds great.. are they homemade????

PatrickA51, PanChango and brit like this.
  17. Redrock

Yum yum.:happy088:

brit likes this.
  18. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Nice job Kevin

19. Redrock

A couple cooks. Baby Backs on New Years Day and a Balsamic Honey glaze pork loin tonight. Both delicious.

I am becoming more convinced that the Weber 22 inch can do just about anything you want to do (within reason - amount). I can peg the temps where ever I want them using very little charcoal.

NYD Baby Backs.JPG
    Porkloin.JPG

brit, Hairy Alaskan and PanChango like this.
  20. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

The grocery had London Broil /Top Round on special last week ($2.59 lb), so I grabbed two of them. I hit it with the Jaccard tenderizer and marinated it for about 48 hours. Tonight was a balmy 15F/-9C with 25 mph sustained winds(after waking up to 3F/-16C) . It was cold enough that I had to break out the bomber jacket. It took just a few minutes per side between 400 and 450F for a nice rare steak. Cut thinly across the grain and enjoyed it with some smashed potatoes and seared greens.. I was off today and haven't shaved since Saturday...:)

Enjoy your night.

lonson.jpg

Last edited: Feb 20, 2019
    Tiredricefarmer, Redrock and brit like this.