January 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Dec 31, 2018.

?

What is your New Year shaving related resolution?

1. I'm going to do the hardest of all - a No-Buy '19

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. I'm going to try shaving with straight razors (pain sticks included)

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  3. I'm going to reduce the number of soaps in my den

14 vote(s)
    27.5%
  4. I'm going to buy everything in sight and build an addition to hold it all!!

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. I'm going to shave. Simple, right?

30 vote(s)
    58.8%
  6. I'm going to eat more cookies. Or donuts. Or ice cream.

17 vote(s)
    33.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

A playoff game is a great first experience, hope the two of you had a great time there.

2. brit

brit in a box

i agree ,we use the tea ball when we make a pot of tea,especially the davids tea..bags are just convenient when in a rush..

3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Best way ever to make a single cup of tea.[​IMG]

4. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I go through my share of loose gunpowder green tea. There is an international market here in Indy that sells a 150g box for a buck. Hard to argue with that. "Temple of Heaven" brand, from China. I buy a lot of teas there. Their tea aisle is quite the smorgasbord of course.

I use a Sunbeam Hot Shot to boil my water. And this Forlife infuser, maybe $15 on Amazon.
    41i7ZF3TVHL._AC_SY400_.jpg

Lately I'm also starting to like something called pu-erh tea. The Chinese call it black tea. What we call black tea, they call red tea. And in the evenings, something like chamomile that won't keep me awake.

Hembree, PLAla, FaceScraper and 9 others like this.
  5. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I use a similar model often.
    0D66E33D-3544-498E-A5CC-D63BFA6A62AA.jpeg
    If I’m feeling a little more traditional, I’ll break out the yixing pot.
    627351D6-E5BA-40A8-BCE7-23DD6A0ABF45.jpeg
    Or the left handed Japanese kyusu.
    C78E170F-1D93-47C7-B940-5E78E8EC5719.jpeg
    My favorites are oolongs and blacks.

Hembree, PLAla, FaceScraper and 11 others like this.
  6. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

No, I guess it didn't. :happy108:

7. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

January - Shavettes and Jeeves!

January 5

Razor - CJB Greager (pain stick)
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Soap - Jeeves of Hudson Street Bay Rum
    Brush - Jayaruh #312
    Post - Alum

Well I've been working on this one for awhile. Lots of pictures, some relevant, some not. Please note - a new brush in the house. After the @Jayaruh brush was chosen in the raffle I put my plan into action and adopted the one he had displayed for the raffle. I let the winner of the brush choose first - and #312 was still there so it joined its brothers here today.

Jayaruh 312.jpg

Obviously, this was my brush of choice tonight to go with the Jeeves soap. The razor was the CJB Greager with Feather Pro to see how it compares to the Feather DX. Here are my short version notes of that comparison. The Greager is a clone of the DX and sells for about a third of the price. The original CJB had a problem with the spring breaking. The Greager fixed that problem but otherwise mirrors the original. The angle of the head matches that of the DX and the only real difference is the length of the razors.

DX vs CJB.jpg
    The razors are close in weight, though the DX is a bit heavier. I weighed it at 1.7 ounces, the Greager at 1.4. However, I realized afterwards that the blade was in the DX, and not in the CJB. So, I'll reweigh and give some more accurate numbers. I also want to determine the exact metal used in the head/handle of the razors. I know the DX is stainless. I'm not certain of the CJB and am still looking for that but wanted to get this posted. Why am I concerned about the metal? Because the main difference I noticed between these razors was the drag of the Greager. There seems to be a bit of drag being caused by the head of the razor, not the blade. It's smooth but seems a bit "sticky". I noticed this on the first pass and added some water to the tip of the loaded brush before lathering the second pass. That produced a slicker lather, though the Jeeves is already slick, but it gave it enough extra slickness that it made the "stickiness" less noticeable. Seems a viable workaround. However, if you don't get the lather slick enough there may be an issue.

The angle was easy to hit and hold, just like the DX. It definitely gives a better feel and control of the angle than the SS, just like the DX does. As for the grip - I find the shape of the DX handle a bit more natural for my grip, though I had no trouble holding or controlling the CJB. Just a difference in minor grip details. The SS with its round rubberized handle also has its own grip characteristics. The DX fits me best, but any of the three of them are usable and don't create a particular problem.

I would have to say that for those considering a pain stick the CJB is a fine starter out of these three if only because of the price. Use slick lather and you should be fine. If you want to go full-on into the Feathers I'd spend the extra money on the DX and skip the SS. That lip really does change things.

I'll revisit the CJB tomorrow just to verify as well as get some numbers together on accurate weight, metal etc. Then, a couple of shaves with the Kai Captain to see how it fares. This is a fun comparison. And the best part so far? No blood. That's either a great example of my skill and technique - or pure dumb luck still exists. That's probably more likely.

Have a great rest of your weekend!

January 5 2019.jpg

Hembree, PLAla, FaceScraper and 14 others like this.
  8. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

I say you do that one Adam. I want to see her reaction before deciding if I should actually identify myself.

PLAla, FaceScraper, Keithmax and 10 others like this.
  9. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Very nice!

PLAla, FaceScraper, Drygulch and 5 others like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Going off the rails on a crazy train? Good volume of post to catch up, and tea talk!

Danny @Hembree has reached Tier 2 Enabling. Thinking globally, acting locally. Adam @Drygulch, too. It's one thing to entice 30DC members to try products. When y'all are getting S.O.'s involved, that ought to make for an easing of tensions and increased domestic tranquility.

I got into cast iron kitchenware years back. Somewhere tucked away there's a big old-new tea kettle I couldn't live without. With my grandmothers vintage Griswold fry pan or the Lodge wok, I've got the seasoning well in hand. Never really used the tea pot. Should it be seasoned with that baked on carbon coating before boiling water? Iron supplement via cookware is great but I'm concerned about damaging the pot or rust.

As for consumables, got a box of Twinings Earl Grey on the shelf ready to go. During hot & humid season Iced tea is my preference. Check with your garden department this spring to get a mint plant or three. The leaves can be harvested, dried, and used all year long. Placed in a tea ball, brewed along with quart sized tea bags it makes very refreshing sweet tea.

Hembree, PLAla, Frijolero and 10 others like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

January Shavette Focus

Stirling Piacenza SS sample
    T-400 badger by @Vlasta
    Suribachi scuttle
    Luxor & Ming Shi 2000s
    Personna Lab Blue blades
    C. R. Whiskey Woods AS
    SOTD 01052019.gif Got my shave in before 10 PM, but reading everyone's post after getting the grandkids settled in put me up late. With school resuming shortly these late nights and sleeping in come to an end. I enjoyed a tallowy slick warm lather, fresh half blade in the shavette for two full passes, but still chose to finish with the Futur clone on 5-1/2. No blood and a decent CCS with no screaming hot spots from the AS.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

FaceScraper, Hembree, PLAla and 13 others like this.
  12. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Of course if you live in the hot humid south, keep them in pots, or in a few years, the garden department will be buying plants from you. Mint lags just slightly behind kudzu and bamboo for spreading.

FaceScraper, RyX, Paul76 and 9 others like this.
  13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Thank you, Brian. Good job to you also!

FaceScraper, mrchick, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  14. wristwatchb

Awesome, Jim! It looks like you and your son had a great time. He's growing up fast!

FaceScraper, RyX, Paul76 and 6 others like this.
  15. wristwatchb

I'm enjoying your razor comparison, Neal. Congrats on winning JR # 312. It's a nice looking brush. Is it horse hair or synthetic horse?

FaceScraper, RyX, NCoxSTL and 7 others like this.
  16. wristwatchb

Great shave, Rick, and congrats on hanging in there with the shavette focus. I bet the Luxor has a nice feel in the hand. It looks like a substantial razor.

FaceScraper, RyX, PLAla and 6 others like this.
  17. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Great photo, Jim.

brit, FaceScraper, PLAla and 4 others like this.
  18. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    +1

brit, FaceScraper, RyX and 5 others like this.
  19. FaceScraper

FaceScraper Well-Known Member

Great photo, Jim! For the first try with a shavette, not too shabby! It does feel awkward, doesn't it?

wristwatchb, RyX, Hembree and 7 others like this.
  20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Bruce!
    It does feel awkward. This will be a weekend razor for me.

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

wristwatchb, FaceScraper, RyX and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.