What else do you collect?

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by Killerflyingbugs, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

What other items do you collect?
    I collect: old bottles, nautical stuff, seashells, and vintage scuba gear.

AGHisBBS, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  2. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Silver Coins and Stocks.

3. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

I don't know if it would be considered a collection or a set of useful appliances but I probably have a dozen or so vintage coffee makers of various types (percolators, dripolators, vacuum, etc.).
    Most of them get used on a semi-regular basis and they're not on display or anything like that.

Sometimes I find myself looking at old lanterns when I'm in antique shops and wonder if I could someday end up with a few of those (for no good reason).

I seem to have a lot of jackets but then I throw on a sweatshirt instead so I'm not sure if the jackets are a collection or just unused clothing.

pj3r, gzp, AGHisBBS and 6 others like this.
  4. Killerflyingbugs

I think if you more than 2 of something for no other reason than you like them then you collect them. Antique coffee pots sound cool.

5. Orville

Orville Active Member

I seem to collect mostly ailments these days. :lyrtuy5:

But other than that I'm stashing some silver and still have a bit of a knife problem although shaving stuff has taken it's place lately.

It seems like if you collect anything you are subject to collecting almost everything.
    It must be survival instinct run amuck since I really don't have much rhyme or reason for what I acquire. I just latch onto something and run with it until something else catches my fancy. :confused:

6. Killerflyingbugs

I know the feeling!

Sent from my LGMS550 using Tapatalk

brit and Frijolero like this.
  7. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

I collect watches and rifles.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

8. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

Old bottles that I find in the ground while working. I like the unique and really old ones that I come across doing excavations.

9. Briscoe

Briscoe Well-Known Member

I forgot to put the most obvious one of all.... shaving gear/straight razors!

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

10. Paul76

Paul76 Well-Known Member

It’s ok Briscoe we already knew.

pj3r, AGHisBBS, lightcs1776 and 4 others like this.
  11. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

I have a few outdoor lanterns from the early 1900s and some old clocks from the 1st half of the 20th century.

I also collect items that come with shaving lots I have bought, sometimes unfortunately. For this reason, I have some silver or pewter jewlery or curio boxes, vintage glass eye wash cups, and, something I actually like, a soldier's whistle from WWI. I really need to have a garage sale.

Oh, and wine, but collecting vs drinking is sometimes unbalanced!

12. Killerflyingbugs

mvd, the random antique stuff you get a hold of sounds cool, I enjoy any kind of stuff like that.
    I also like the glass insulators from old telephone/telegraph lines.

AGHisBBS, Frijolero, Paul76 and 3 others like this.
  13. brit

brit in a box

my boat as well..

Killerflyingbugs, Frijolero and BigD like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

vintage 60s drag racing car model kits, zippo lighters, ww2 stuff,vintage snap on tools etc ..most stuff i sell (with exceptions) to fund the next collection..i keep the favorites..

15. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

Thanks, like @brit I keep my favs and try to sell the other stuff, but selling is a bit of a pain.

Glass insulators are cool. I especially like the more unusual colours and sizes. I don't collect them, but I like the history behind them.

16. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

This thread needs something: PICTURES!

Here are some of the random items that I obtained through razor lots at local estate auctions.

The whistle is obvious and the broad arrow inside a "c" means it is Canadian military issue.

The other pic shows a souvenir Niagra Falls Viewfinder, an old ticket punch, and three Canadian Pacific Railway buttons.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

[​IMG]
    And I probably have 30 watches. Many of them left-handed.

18. brit

brit in a box

i agree, it is a pain, but luckily i have some sources to unload stuff, a local hobby shop buys my model kits, i had few hundred over the years,and an antique shop buys other items..while i dont get top dollar,i didn t pay top dollar either..i don t buy stuff to sell, but i am more picky now with the type of items purchased..glass isolators are cool but i only have a couple.. 20190106_141926.jpg

pj3r, BigD, Killerflyingbugs and 8 others like this.
  19. RyX

RyX DoH!

If someone else views it they'd call it a pile of stuff. I have collected tools since dad gave me the first Craftsman box. By trade and career I've been a carpenter, but gathered the tools for so many different jobs. Finishing concrete, laying ceramic tile, roofing, framing, trim, sheetrock & painting, cabinetry, plumbing & electrical and each has it's own tool set. In my younger days I rebuilt auto engines and restored several cars so I learned to sling Bondo & spray primers, lacquers, and clear coats. Another tool set. Recently I transitioned to handyman work. I've got the tools and experience to tear down and rebuild homes. Changing out a lavatory or kitchen faucet is less wear & tear on these old bones.
    One day my children are going to have one heck of a man's garage sale.

20. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

The only thing I might say I collect is hand tools. I say "might" because I only have one of each hand plane (with the exception of a #5 plane, of which I have a couple, although I am still looking for a #8 or #7c. Using a hand plane on a board is incredibly relaxing.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk