What Straight Razor Did You Use Today?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by lindyhopper66, Nov 30, 2013.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Thank you. This one took quite a bit of sanding, and I think I got lucky with the result.

2. fredyx

fredyx Well-Known Member

Buenos días!!

- Filarmónica 14 Doble Temple.

[​IMG]

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Dang, @Jayaruh charged you $311 for that brush?? His prices sure are going up.

Keithmax and oscar11 like this.
  4. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

It will take a couple of chairs to figure out this big razor with a huge smile. It is the largest razor I’ve ever shaved with and the heaviest. I may also take it my Shapton glass 16k to get that crisp edge I like. My other Mike Martinez is my best shaving razor.

5. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

5E77BB66-1FD6-4009-86B4-D86A7D1D3041.jpeg

Fancy razor day #2, these are a cased pair of 11/16 Touron-Parisot near wedge in beautiful ‘ironing board’ tortoise scales with original ‘bullseye’ washers. There are several interesting things about these razors. They date from 1850-1860, so they’re about 165 years old. It’s often difficult to date razors this precisely, but before 1850 the company was just Parisot, and after 1860 they were out of business. The case has the address 24 Rue de la Pais stamped in gold on it, so you can actually see the shop on Google maps - I believe it is a chocolate store when I checked.

I bought them off eBay from a New England Antiques store, and the seller advertised them as faux tortoise, but I knew that they were genuine tortoise. eBay won’t let you sell genuine tortoise (or ivory), but plastic wasn’t invented until about this time or even a few years later, and didn’t become common in manufactured goods until several years or even decades later. At the time these razors were made, there was no faux tortoise. Did the seller know? I feel sure that they did.

I wonder how 165-year old cased French luxury razors came to be in the US. My guess is that they were bought by an American diplomat or business person who traveled to Paris. There’s a story there that I’d like to know but probably never will.

The cream was Dior Eau Sauvage lathered in an Aesop bowl with a Keyhole 4. A splash of Lucky Tiger finished up and a little Dior Eau Sauvage AS balm followed on drydown. I added a bit of the Eau Sauvage EdT and was enjoying a fine fragrant shave on a Sunday morning.

6. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Thanks for the background. Well done!

M14Shooter and Steve56 like this.
  7. joamo

joamo Well-Known Member

Sunday Chantey Shave

We'll rant and we'll roar like true Yankee whalers
    We'll rant and we'll roar on deck and below
    Until we see sight the New Bedford lights
    Then straight up the channel to anchor we'll go.
    [​IMG]

8. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Love the detail in the pic. Nice!

oscar11, M14Shooter and joamo like this.
  9. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

That's a beautiful picture and the scrimshaw stands out. :happy088:

oscar11, Keithmax, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  10. TestDepth

Had a few days of growth to comfortably mow down so turned to this Omega 14...
    Possibly a Joseph Feist creation out of Solingen, as the Omega symbol was his trademark, but no Feist or Solingen on the blade.
    Does have a Belgian connection with Verbeke-Devrieze on the show side.
    My pleasure to use it this evening.
    C0633AD3-6287-4BFD-85F9-6CFB08C273EF.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave!
    Tom

11. Keithmax

:love029:

Edison Carter and TestDepth like this.
  12. Keithmax

13. PatrickA51

Steve
    The picture of your brush and razor is excellent.

oscar11 likes this.
  14. Steve56

Steve56 Hone Hoarder

A1264581-41D6-4C10-B7BE-8FF8362C68CE.jpeg

Unrestored user grade gen 1 Filly 14 Doble Temple, T&H Grafton lathered with a Rooney 3/2 Heritage and D. R. Harris Pink for finishing up. Enjoyable shave today!

Cheers, Steve

15. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

16. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

Wacker Master Class
    T.O.B.S. Lavender shaving soap
    Simpsons Captain Manchurian
    Bigelow Green Cologne
    I don't know if you guys have seen this one. I bought this razor as a retirement gift (March) to myself along with a new longbow, ILF riser, limbs and a few more archery related items. My wife finally said whoa. Sound reasonable to me, lol. I'm really into longbows this straight razor stuff is just a sideline. That might give you an idea about how much archery related stuff I have. TOBS has always been a good soap for me performance wise, no complaints. This is one the very few factory brushes that I haven't taken apart for the knot. It's a pretty fair brush, IMO. Have a good one.
    [​IMG]

17. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

18. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Nuts! How embarrassing. No worries folks I'm only a danger to myself w/out my reading glasses (time to take a break and go dam phishing).

Last edited: Jan 7, 2019
  19. PatrickA51

How about showing us a picture of your new Long Bow? :angry017::shaver

Keithmax and Edison Carter like this.
  20. TestDepth

I don't remember seeing that one, and I am glad you shared... that is unique and beautiful. Excellent choice for a retirement gift IMO! :eatdrink047:

Edison Carter, oscar11 and Keithmax like this.