FROM THE WILD, vintage razors recently purchased or inherited...!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Ron R, Sep 25, 2018.

1. oldtech

oldtech Member

Here's a few Brits from a antique store
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. brit

brit in a box

very nice..

oldtech likes this.
  3. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

:eatdrink047::drool::signs021: Lucky you, looks like in good condition. How does it shave ?

RyX and brit like this.
  4. oldtech

oldtech Member

It shaves fine just slightly more aggressive than my 1948 Aristocrat.

RyX, brit and Ron R like this.
  5. dmshaver

dmshaver Well-Known Member

Found a Fatty on Craigslist. Pristine condition, looks new!
    IMG_0182.jpg IMG_0183.jpg IMG_0185.jpg IMG_0187.jpg

gorgo2, Enrico, Jorvaljr and 8 others like this.
  6. Ijustmissedthe50s

Ijustmissedthe50s The Warnee

7. dmshaver

I never knew a razor could leave my breath minty fresh, but yes, my breath is minty fresh. All thanks to the fatty!

Ijustmissedthe50s and RyX like this.
  8. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

That's a really nice one. What date code is that? Do I see a G on one pic (1961?). Did it come with a blade pack?

My D4 1958 Fatboy has become my favourite razor. I just love the heft of it.

brit and RyX like this.
  9. dmshaver

It's a G3. It had a G3 Super Blue blade in the razor, but no blade pack.

brit and RyX like this.
  10. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

Very nice! I especially love the Bostonian and the last Aristocrat. Gorgeous razors.

oldtech and brit like this.
  11. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Just received these beauties and did a quick cleaning in some boiling water heads only that had plastic, They were hardly used IMO, not sure what that is telling me, to mild, Gillette fad was the way to go, Christmas presents that were neglected ?????
    All I need are my blades I ordered and some shaving enjoyment begins!
    The razors are Gem push button(gold metal)+Gem feather weight(white handle)+Gem G-bar(all chromed) for those folks who might not know. Seasoned Gem owners already know them + more on the way.
    like new Gems (2).jpg like new Gems 1.2 (2).jpg

Enrico, gorgo2, brit and 3 others like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

the g bar is a cool looking razor, nicescore..

13. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

I think it's a virgin Gem 1912 razor, if not, it was hardly ever used IMO. Just excellent shape for a Gem greenhorn who is still waiting on my blades, Canada post on a rotating strike has really pushed parcels way back.:santa Santa might be a little early this year.
    [​IMG]

14. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Have you checked local shops? There may be one that carries them, and you never noticed before because you weren't looking for them.

Ron R and brit like this.
  15. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Living up in northern Alberta Canada looking for Gem razor blades is almost impossible. Gem was not as popular as Gillette DE or Schick injectors in Canada for what ever reason. The bigger cities like Edmonton or Calgary would for sure have them but at a premium. Have some great shaves!

16. brit

brit in a box

connaught shaving has decent blades ..shipping wasn t bad.. 50 blades 10 pounds, $16.97, free shipping to canada deals as well.

Screwtape likes this.
  17. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

This is strange that we had a parcel delivery this evening but it's more than likely from the mail service trying to catch from the mail rotating strike recently. Now I have a couple of extra GEM mmoc that I thought were a right off because they where delivered to the wrong address , so I went ahead and ordered two more and they all showed up. This story ended well so I'm leaving it there. These Razors are like new after going through sterilization and cleaning and the Gillette techmatic is not going to be used but it is a neat razor that the astronauts used in the Apollo space program. I got a Gillette old type with the split handle and that razor got some major use because the owner wore most of the nickel off the top cap. I had a spare Tech handle and that one will get used down the road, that razor was used when Gillette had only the 3 holed blades. Enjoy some vintage razor history, I know I sure am.
    From the Wild Dec 16-2018 (2).jpg

gorgo2, Droo78, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  18. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Really enjoying these GEM razors and this is the latest purchase GEM flying wing(1947>), guiding eye, bullet handle....
    When cleaned up it is like new, makes me wonder how popular this one is? Waiting for my GEM Clog Pruf to finalize my GEM purchases for a while.
    Gem bullet - haul (2).jpg

gorgo2, Jorvaljr, Droo78 and 3 others like this.
  19. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Well my last purchase for a little while of GEM razors, Man O man this took some serious cleaning. The previous owner most of used preshave oil and it stuck hard to the surface from over decades of use. It actually preserved the razor very well but being a little fussy I had to clean it up for my desire look of clean.
    The GEM Clog Pruf is the late 1946-47 Peerless variant model with the 17 nibs safety bar. Tomorrow 's will be 1st shave on this new(used) razor.:shaver:happy093:
    MMCP from the wild! (2).jpg
    Have some great GEM shaves!

Enrico, gorgo2, brit and 1 other person like this.
  20. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

The "on the way home from the antique show car seat pictures"

Two made in England razors. Hard to say before a cleaning, but one should be a rocket and one a rocket HD or variant thereof. The guy I got the HD variant fro said it was his first razor and it was from 1956. $10 each.

[​IMG]

Enrico, BigMark83, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.