SOS: January 2019

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Boojum1, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

MONDAY MORNING'S SHAVE

[​IMG]

Bath Soap - Periwinkle Lane "Tam Dao"
    [​IMG]
    Fragrance - Diptyque Tam Dao EDP
    Aftershave - Klar Seifen "Sandelholz"
    Shave Soap - Klar Seifen "Sandelholz"
    Deodorant - Periwinkle Lane "Tam Dao" (Custom Made)
    Preshave Oil - Lather & Wood's "Unscented"
    Post-Shave Balm - Nicci Marie Hyaluronic Acid Anti-Aging Face Serum
    Razor - Merkur Futur
    Blade - [​IMG] *4th Shave
    Razor Stand by RV Shaving
    Shave Brush by Mervyn Cadman with Synthetic Tuxedo Knot
    Brush Stand by Desire Metal Works
    Soap Bowl - Custom made by Mervyn Cadman

2. brit

brit in a box

lovely set tim..

3. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Williams
    Vintage Stag Badger, refurb by Carrington
    AutoStrop 1A
    GEM SS d2
    WTG, ATG, + Witch Hazel Fuzzy Clean up Pass
    Jicky EdP
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

4. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

January 14, 2019
    Karve D Plate
    Feather
    WDC-8 with Druida Manchurian
    AOS Sandalwood Cream
    Fine Santal Absolut

[​IMG]

5. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

Thanks! I love the Mervyn Cadman brush/bowl.

6. brit

brit in a box

yes sir ,they are very cool..i love the black and white ..

clint64 and Douglas Carey like this.
  7. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thank you Douglas.

Boru62, Douglas Carey and brit like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Menthol Monday's Shave
    zcws.jpg

Cold Water Wash
    C.O. Bigelow
    Jayaruh #327
    Enders Speed Razor
    Ted Pella Personna
    J.A. Henckels Rapide
    CVS CS SE
    CWR
    Osage Rub

Last night I decided to change today's line up a bit I loaded my Enders Speed Razor with a Ted Pella Peronna injector blade and backed it up with an Enders blade that I had dulled the edge on. I intended to try it out on just one cheek.

My prep was just a cold water rinse. The C.O. Bigelow Shaving Cream face lathered well with the Jayaruh #327 brush. I ended up doing the whole first pass with the Enders. It was very smooth and efficient. Excellent results. Next, I did the second and final pass with the Henckels razor with a CVS CS SE blade and ended up with a close, comfortable shave. After a cold water rinse, I finished off with Osage Rub. I am clean, smooth, and refreshed...

Last edited: Jan 14, 2019
  9. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

Jim,

If you can't find one, don't fret. I'm sure that I can send you a used blade. I can only warn you that the used blades I have were not used by me lol. So use one as a holder or shim at your own risk . I'm sure there is probably a way to modify one as a blade holder. My find came with several used blades as well as a box of individually wrapped new blades so I could send you a spare used one. Just let me know.

Josh

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

jimjo1031, Boru62, ilts and 7 others like this.
  10. ram57

ram57 Don't Open til Christmas

Monday SOTD

[​IMG]

Razor: Cobra Classic
    Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild (D1)
    Brush: Paladin PK-47 26mm Blonde Badger
    Bowl: Captain's Choice Gunmetal
    Pre-Shave Scrub: MRGO Lime
    Pre-Shave Balm: Grooming Dept Unscented
    Shave Soap: Grooming Dept Citric M-Bombed
    Aftershave Extro Rasoio E Pennello Summer 2015

11. hins2jw0

hins2jw0 Well-Known Member

SOTN

Before anyone judges my razor choice tonight, hear me out... I've been buying my grandfather Personna cartridges for his Trac II for the last 2+ years online. It's the only razor he's used since ~1972-1973 except for the straight razor that my grandmother used to trim around his neck and ears in her tiny beauty shop connected to their garage. That's pretty good longevity for the same razor - he still has the original travel case for it too btw.

Anyway, I figured why not pick one up if you see one at a low price. I ended up with my chrome Atra in a lucky low priced auction that included the travel case and a couple NOS gillette blades. It works very well with the American made Personna blades and doesn't look too shabby doing it. A nice smoooooth clean shave tonight after watching some playoff . Enjoy your night.

Josh

[​IMG]

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

12. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

Yesterday's
    Hybrid RazoRock Game Changer .84 P on Barbaros Levend Handle P / Gillette Super Thin Platinum (Thai) / WW Tmesis / Eufros Vetiver
    [​IMG]
    Today's
    Hybrid RazoRock Game Changer .84 P on Barbaros Levend Handle P / Gillette Super Thin Platinum (Thai) / WW Tmesis / SV Manna di Sicilia
    [​IMG]

13. Number six

Number six Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    Paradigm :: Pantarei

14. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

January - Shavettes and Jeeves!

January 13 - Blade Trials

Razor - Gillette Super Blue Blades supplied razor
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - The Canuck
    Post - Alum

Well, we know the new version of the Gillette Blue Blades is a winner. It produced three very fine shaves over three days in the Slim. But, not only can you buy the blades you can buy the razor as well - with a blade included. This thing looks like the Rapira razor that I've often semi-demonized. They're cheap plastic handled razors with cheap metal heads. The Rapira version produces a slightly scary "flat" angle on the blade. I'm wondering how closely related they are. They are definitely extremely similar. The Gillette on top, the Rapira on bottom.

[​IMG]
    The angle of the pictures makes the Rapira look longer but they are virtually the same length. Notic, though, the different look on the heads. It's very obvious when holding them. The Gillette head looks like it's thinner metal. This can't be a good thing as the Rapira barely uses metal to start with. I could tell a weight difference in my hand so off to the scales we go. The Gillette weighs 18 grams. 11 of those grams are the head. The Rapira weighs a whopping 29 grams with 17 in the head. The Rapira handle appears to be solid plastic while the Gillette handle is hollow. Less weight in the head and handle for the Gillette. No wonder it feels so light. Holding both by the end of the handle and letting them fall off center it's a world of difference. The Gillette is just so light while the Rapira does feel like it's "head heavy".

So, nothing left to do but try the shave. I loaded the Gillette and they load the same. Four tabs on the corners of the cap lock the blade into place. Arko and The Canuck for the perfect lather. I took about three strokes and knew I had to change technique. It seemed I didn't have the angle right. I adjusted a bit and found what seemed better but still got lousy results. I was trying to let the razor do the work. Stupid me. We're talking 18 grams. I added pressure and finally got to seeing some results. It's never good when a razor requires pressure. I finished the first pass and relathered, noticing how much I had left to go before being done. The second pass I got more aggressive with. More pressure, held the angle well and not only did I not get a good enough result, I was thinking I might need more than three passes. Lathered again, went for the third pass with full ATG and then some Gillette slides on the neck to finish at - a rather mediocre DFS. We know the blade works, and yes, I did complete a shave without hurting myself, but this was disappointing.

It seems like this razor is just plain too lightweight to produce a great shave unless you want to go four passes with lots of pressure. I did the alum check and found it pretty warm. Worse than the blade produced in three nights in the Slim. Too much work to get a decent shave and the quality went off as well. That concerns me. Imagine a newbie seeing this in a store and deciding to join our ranks. He unpacks it, loads it, and has no idea what he's doing. All he knows is it isn't cutting as well as his carts and he has no way of adjusting. Then, if he does manage a finish close to mine he's suffered irritation beyond what he is used to as well, even with carts. His response? He keeps overspending and getting mediocre shaves with his way too expensive carts. Not a good scenario.

At some point I'll throw this up against the Rapira side by side, just to satisfy my curiosity. Thanks to @John Ruschmeyer for sending me this razor and the blades. Always fun to try new stuff and see what's out there. My final grade for this round of trial - for the blade I have to give it an "A". I had three great shaves in the trial razor and finished BBS all three times. No blood and only slightly warm spots with the alum on the last two shaves. For the razor? "D-". It did eventually produce a shave so it isn't a total loss. I suppose it could make a camping razor that you wouldn't care if it accidentally fell in the fire while shaving.

Tomorrow I move on to some blades sent to my by @Linuxguile for trials. The fun continues!

[​IMG]

15. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Hey, another Williams fan!
    Love that razor as well!
    That is a beautiful razor Jim

16. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

Thank you, both, for your kind words, gentlemen. :)

17. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

14 January 2019

* Charcoal Goods Level 3 SB + Stork Ex Brass
    * Wizamet Iridium Super
    * Maseto Shaving XD 2-Band + Oscar11 Amber Barbeiro

* Jabonman/Eufros Fougere
    * Unrefined Shea Butter
    * Bergamot/Vetiver EO

[​IMG]

18. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Razor: M. Navaron-Dumas “The Rooster”
    Brush: Shavemac 24mm Silvertip in horn
    Soap: Razorock WTP Blue Barbershop
    A/S: B&M Reserve Cool
    Cool shave with a mid 1800’s French beauty
    46DB99F3-86D0-47CD-ACD5-7F248D76952F.jpeg
    Enjoy your shave.
    Tom

19. brit

brit in a box

lovely pic sir..

clint64 likes this.
  20. SpeedyPC

SpeedyPC Well-Known Member

Date: 14 January 2019

Pre-shave:- Cold Water straight from the tap
    Brush:- Platypus P&C LE 2017 24mm Manchurian White
    Soap/Cream:- Stirling ~ Mountain Man
    Bowl/Scuttle:- Captain's Choice
    Razor/Blade:- Gillette British Tech attached to iKon Bulldog / Vintage NOS Gillette Super Stainless (spoiler) #4
    Post-shave:- Thayers Witch Hazel & Tea Tree Oil / WAHL Bay Rum Aftershave Splash
    Fragrance:- Davidoff Cool Water Night Dive

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.