Ingrown hairs and shaving irritation products

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Alex7, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

What are some good ingrown hairs and shaving irritation products? I know about Tend Skin, PFB Vanish, Paula's Choice BHA exfoliants, Paula's Choice PC4MEN Soothe + Smooth.

Frijolero likes this.
  2. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

For irritation I use inexpensive store brand aloe vera skin lotions. Aqua Velva 5in1 aftershave balm is also good. Generic witch hazel also works well. Don't go for bbs, let it find you. It won't matter a few hours after shaving anyway.

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

brit, 178-bplatoon and Frijolero like this.
  3. Alex7

Alex7 Active Member

I used to have an Edwin Jagger 89 DE. Now I have a Wilkinson Sword Classic. I have a 22 mm knot badger hair brush from Whipped Dog. I wet shave from fall 2014. I still have irritation especially on my neck if I shave every day with 3 passes. My technique isn't optimal for a BBS yet. Maybe I have sensitive skin also.

Frijolero likes this.
  4. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Here we go, another example of what I have been preaching on. You probably actually don't have "sensitive skin" you may have "sensitised skin".
    99.9% of the time it is user error that causes irritation. Work on your technique and you will see that a blade is a blade, and a razor is a razor.
    I know you probably don't want to hear this, however please consider heading over to the 30 day crew and posting there. Lots of great guys that can help.
    Don't go out and buy the latest and greatest thing ever for shaving, truth be told, all you will accomplish is having extra product to you don't need .
    You may be allergic to a soap, or cream, or other product, but I doubt very highly that you have sensitive skin.

Tiredricefarmer and Frijolero like this.
  5. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Aaron @ordinaryshaver has made some very wise comments and given some great advice. I completed the 30dc challenge in December and it really helped my technique out. One brush, one soap, one razor for 30 days will improve your shaves. We also have a lot of fun on the 30dc as well. Come on over across the hall and join us. You want be the same.

brit likes this.
  6. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

Go over to the ethnic hair care section of whatever store you visit.There are some good products there .Bump Stopper is one brand ,they make a tea tree shave gel that you can use with a brush.I keep a tube around for when I get a bump on the neckline. Works well.

brit likes this.
  7. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

I don't try to get a BBS shave during the work week. Just a one pass daily keeps it looking presentable. I'll usually take longer and do a 3 pass shave on date night or if I feel like it.

brit likes this.
  8. TxMidLifeDad

TxMidLifeDad New Member

Everyone has to find the technique that works for them. I found wet shaving trying to rid myself of the awful neck irritation I had after every shave. After starting wet shaving I still had the irritation, but not nearly as bad. I have since gotten better on my technique and very rarely have irritation, and only get ingrown when I push a blade too far.

First thing in had to do was stop chasing a BBS shave, and only do 2 passes. Like a lot of people my neck hair goes in 20 different directions. What helped me was when going against the grain on my neck, I go at an angle. I start by my ear and go towards my adams apple. The next day on my against the grain I start at my chin and go down towards shoulder, essentially making and X pattern of the 2 days.

Even doing the above I would still have occasional irritation. I shaved using only one hand and found that when shaving on right side of my neck with my right hand, I was not able to get my technique right due to angles and pressure. So I trained my self to use both hands, right hand on left side and left hand on right side.

Finding what works for you can be full of irritation, but worth the end result.

Sent from my SM-G965U1 using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

i stopped getting irritation and ingrowns after switching to de..after my face got used to it bbs like shaves have been a regular occurance .i say "bbs like" because i don t go atg on my lower neck.don t want to push it..i now shave almost daily..used williams and a wilki brush for 10 years with carts..didn t solve the problem..the de razor and learned technique did..

CrustyCat likes this.