SOS: January 2019

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by Boojum1, Dec 31, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shaveman

shaveman Well-Known Member

Gem Featherweight
    Gem PTF Stainless Blade (5)
    Razorock 24mm Barrel Synthetic
    Ogallala Bay Rum, Peppercorns and Limes
    Cremo Post Shave Balm
    Old Spice Cologne
    IMG_0078.JPG

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Thank you, TC.
    That is a Declaration Grooming B5 knot transplanted into a Thäter Premium Boar Beehive handle. I won't "boar" you with that sordid tale. :p

3. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Wednesday
    January 16, 2019

Blackland Blackbird Triad Ti
    Gillette Platinum
    Paladin Shaving Round Table LE
    MDC Original
    CRSW Juniper
    ADP Ginepro di Sardegna

[​IMG]

4. TommyCarioca

TommyCarioca Well-Known Member

Beauty! Well played on the boaring details

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

clint64 and Primotenore like this.
  5. TommyCarioca

TommyCarioca Well-Known Member

Sweet hive

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

clint64, hins2jw0 and Boojum1 like this.
  6. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:thanks:

clint64 and Boru62 like this.
  7. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

January 16, 2019
    Karve D Plate
    Feather
    WDC-8 with Druida Manchurian
    Stirling R4L Soap and Aftershave

[​IMG]

8. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

sink of cool water
    hot soaked eshave badger brush and salsa bowl
    vasmol cream
    "being him" shower gel
    shavette w/3use sputnik blade
    Being Him cologne

After yesterday's disappointing shave with the Pecksniff's cream I decided to make a super slick lather and felt I had a good candidate.I did a squirt of Vasmol cream and a squirt of shower gel and hit it with the hot brush and worked up an overflowing bowl of lather that smelled pretty good.Did 3 passes on the cheeks and 2 on the neck,followed up with a cool water rinse.I then made an aftershave with the cologne and glycerine and applied it.The Being Him cologne is a low end clone of I believe Gaultier Le Male ,it smells nice and lasts a few hours.The a/s went on with no burn.So my home blend was better than the product from a perfume house.(pecksniff's).I have an almost bbs shave goin on here.

9. Sparrow

Sparrow Well-Known Member

10. Str8on2

Str8on2 Well-Known Member

Rex Ambassador (4,3,2.5) & KAI SS
    WCS 26mm Blue & White
    LNHC Florida Freeze
    Humphreys Alcoholado Maravilla
    Nivea Vitalizing a/s lotion
    Narciso Rodriguez for Him Bleu Noir

5130FF77-5AB2-4D46-BF95-80A17C93DF0D.jpeg
    Nothing new to report. Just a great and refreshing shave. Great evening and great shaves to all.... :)

11. Tim Spencer

Tim Spencer Well-Known Member

WEDNESDAY'S SHAVE

[​IMG]

Shampoo - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum Puck
    [​IMG]
    Razor - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements - Double Open Comb Ascension (316L Stainless Steel Adjustable) (Fully tightened down, least aggressive setting.)
    Blade - Astra Superior-Platinum *4th shave
    Shave Brush - 20mm GBS Synthetic 3rd generation
    Shave Soap - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum
    Post-Shave Balm - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum
    Deodorant - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum
    Fragrance/Aftershave - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements/Crown King - Atomic Age Bay Rum in Stoneware Jug
    Scuttle - Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Moonscape Scuttle

I'm going with this one because it's cold out and it works well on cold and rainy/cloudy days. The scent is uplifting and gives me a bright feeling. I'm using the standard Crown King formula, not the CK-6 pictured. And I'm 50/50 on using the scuttle and may go with a face lather. Should be an epic morning shave.

12. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Phoenix Shaving | Doppelgänger Grey Label
    Leo Frilot Tru-Stone Hallows | AP Shave Co. SilkSmoke 28mm
    The New Improved Schick Injector Razor | Personna 74
    Creed | Aventus (16D01)

[​IMG]

As I've previously alluded, while the openings vary to some degree, the Aventus-types I've used all essentially end up being the same fragrance in the end. Interestingly enough, this phenomenon is not unlike the actual Eau de Parfum itself. The complexity aside, I condense these variants to a bright-to-dark spectrum. Stirling Soap Company's "Executive Man" is firmly seated on the brighter side and is almost devoid of any smoky nuance. Viking's "Ragnar" is further down the spectrum, but still bright and has a distinct apple note. Ariana & Evans' "Spartacus" steps into the darkness realm and offers a slightly sharp bergamot and smoked pineapple opening. To date, Declaration Grooming's "Sellout" is the darkest with more smoked pineapple and hints of a winey currant. Doppelgänger Grey Label is somewhere between Spartacus and Sellout if not right on top of Sellout. Again, ultimately, all of these dry down to the same accurate Aventus fragrance.

13. brit

brit in a box

lovely set up sir..

clint64, Linuxguile and 120inna55 like this.
  14. 120inna55

120inna55 Well-Known Member

Thank you!

15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

January - Shavettes and Jeeves!

January 15 - Blade Trials
    Razor - 1962 (H1) Gillette Slim (3)
    Blade - [​IMG] (1)
    Soap - Arko
    Brush - 30 DC LE
    Post - Alum

Halfway through January and it's on to the next blade in the blade trials. The next three blades all come coutesy of Andrew @Linuxguile and are three I have never heard of. The first up, the Vi-John Super Stainless, is advertised on the back of the blade cover as being made by the world's largest seller of shaving cream. Well, if it's the world's largest they must sell a lot of shaving cream but none I've seen here. The Vi-John company is an Indian company specializing in hair care and grooming products. I checked their website and didn't find any mention of the blades there, nor of any other razor. They do, however, have several varieties of shaving foam and cream as well as hair care products that look like they are specifically targeted at the Indian audience. Makes sense.

My experience with Indian blades has been mostly positive. There are two traditional Indian blade companies. Vidyut Metallics and Malhatra were the big two and still seem to be, though they were both swallowed up by Super-Max. To my knowledge the blades they made are still made in India, just under a different corporate master. Where Vi-John fits in all this I don't know yet but I'm looking. They may also be a part of Super-Max but I'll find out.

Stainless blade with a stainless coating, therefore making it a "super stainless". It says it's made with "Cryotech". Still looking for that one too. So, while I work on the unknowns I'll shave and see what we have. Arko, of course, the Slim on 3 tonight and the brush is the 30DC LE. Great lather to try out a totally new blade (to me) on.

I did two standard passes, WTG and XTG and checked. Yep, still need some work. Did the third ATG and a bit of sliding to touch up and I believe I can call it BBS. If it's not it's the next best thing. The entire shave was smooth and the blade seemed to perform about as well as many do in the small gap mild setting. I didn't detect any tugging or roughness and I can't argue with the finish. And as for the alum and irritation? Quiet on that front so a nice finish and result. I'm not too surprised, based on my past experience with blades from there, but it's always good to get that result when you don't know what you may be in for. Tomorrow night I'll dial it up to 6 and we'll see how it hold out.

Nobody seems to be guessing or have any ideas what was in my "mystery box" earlier. Haven't seen the Fuzzy One on yet so I'll give him another hour or so to wander by. Hope you all have a wonderful night and an even more wonderful Wednesday!

[​IMG]

16. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

Okay...this is commercial grade here...hard to top your usual compositions, but lighting here is near perfection, nicely done.

17. celestino

celestino Friendly Neighborhood Wetshaver

16 January 2019

* Charcoal Goods Level 3 SB + Stork Ex Brass
    * Wizamet Iridium Super
    * WSP Original 2-Band + Oscar11 Aquamarine C7
    * Jabonman/Eufros Tobacco
    * Unrefined Shea Butter
    * Bergamot/Vetiver EO

[​IMG]

18. Number six

Number six Well-Known Member

It's one of the good ones...

clint64 and Boru62 like this.
  19. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

Well, starting to figure out lathering with MW soaps, better result this time for sure, and expect even better next time given lessons learned.
    Hybrid RazoRock Game Changer .84 P on Barbaros Levend Handle P / Treet Platinum Super Stainless / Grizzly Bay Decadent Twist / MW Vetiver & Oakmoss
    [​IMG]

20. Nicked

Nicked Well-Known Member

How are you enjoying the PA scuttle?

clint64 and Tim Spencer like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.