New To The Aftershave World- Advice?

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by KUSTOM, Jan 15, 2019.

1. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

I'm looking to expand my education on aftershaves. I've only used a couple so I'm really needing some advice from you all.

If I was to try out 4 aftershaves, what should I try?

I'm looking for the textbook examples of great/must have aftershaves. The ones that set the bar as a well-rounded product. The 4 I've just got to know about. Where would you begin?

2. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Big rabbit hole here!

What is your budget? What is your goal in using an aftershave? Want alcohol or non-alcohol? Menthol or no? Scent important? What scents do you not like?

There are SO many options. Give us some parameters and we can certainly give you good pointers.

3. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

I want YOUR opinion on a textbook top 4. The Fender Stratocaster of aftershaves. I know this is a big question, therefore it will require some thought. Think this through before you answer. Have a reason for each recommendation.

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Nobody's nose is the same. I love the Veg and it is abhorred by others.

brit, Frijolero, BigD and 1 other person like this.
  5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'll play! I prefer alcohol based splashes over thick milky balms.

In no particular order;

Pinaud Lime Sec or Citrus Musk; Soothing and citrus scented. Not long lasting but satisfies my needs when using a lime scented soap.

Murry & Lanman's Florida Water; high alcohol content & pleasant old school floral scent that leans toward a Coca-Cola flavor. Not strong on skin nourishment, but glycerin (and menthol) can be added.

Pinaud Clubman; powdery & old school that just is Barbershop scent. It's labeled "Lotion" and gives a great post shave face feel. Similar to Canoe by Dana.

Proraso Red splash; straight up sandalwood with no other added cologne scent. Added ingredients leave a decent face feel that lasts.

I could add many more. These are just four that I'll replace when they are used.

6. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

If you really want to go down the rabbit hole, try making your own aftershave.

Frijolero, RyX and Hembree like this.
  7. Primotenore

Article Team
    Speaking of Rabbit hole...:scared003:
    IMG_9001.jpeg

8. urrlord

urrlord Well-Known Member

Depends on what you are looking for in an after shave.Scent,skin care,alcohol,balm etc.Give us some parameters. I've got 30 or so.Some are for everyday ,some are for rough shaves,some are for special events and some are paired with colognes.

brit, Frijolero, RyX and 2 others like this.
  9. Primotenore

Article Team
    +1
    Gotta have more info...

brit and RyX like this.
  10. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

And razors are stored elsewhere...

11. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

You have been in the rabbit hole for a while........looks great!

RyX, brit and Primotenore like this.
  12. Primotenore

Article Team
    True dat.

brit likes this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I like Pinaud Clubman and Special Reserves. Add to that Florida Water or a combination of AV and Florida Water (aka Steel Blue) and you have some great scents. Have fun and wear what you like.

Leclec13, RyX, brit and 2 others like this.
  14. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

Aqua Velva Ice Blue, Lilac Vegetal simply because you'll know rather quickly if you love or hate these two. Clubman Whiskey Woods and Clubman Limes Sec or Citrus Musk.

I'm not just a Pinaud/Clubman freak, but they are solid performers and won't drain the bank.

RyX, Paul Turner, brit and 1 other person like this.
  15. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

The top four I'll always have around?

Floid Vigoroso
    Proraso green
    Stirling
    Wholly Kaw

All alcohol-based splashes, although some of these makers have other options. All have decent skin care - not just alcohol/water/scent. All have menthol, at least as an option.

Floid Vigoroso is far and away my favorite. Awesome scent and a healthy dose of menthol. I buy it in the 400 ml drum. I've polished off one, another down to 1/3, and I have a couple more on the bench.

AGHisBBS and RyX like this.
  16. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Well, I went down to the den and poked around a bit and found roughly 150. Maybe 15 of those are just sample size. I didn't get any out of storage and I didn't count any Avon (I don't care for Avon aftershave but I wanted a couple of their shaving theme decanters). I also didn't count any of my antique stuff that's long past it's freshness date.

Four? you want just four? and you want the top 4? the Fender Stratocastor?
    Don't think I can answer that one.

I can give you a few classics that need to be tried just because but I'm not sure they're the crème de la crème. Plus, as has already been mentioned, scent is a very personal thing. I could also give you some very high quality stellar reputation names but their scents are distinctive so they tend to draw boundary lines between persons. Several folks have mentioned drug store brands that have been popular for generations. Even with those you find strong preferences between brands.

If, as your post says, you are looking to expand your education on aftershaves; might I suggest you expand past four. When I was in aftershave grade school I had four or five but if you want to work on your PhD you'll need to get past 100. ;) (yeah, I'm going for a double doctorate)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2019
    RyX and Frijolero like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Not saying these are all necessarily must haves but they are common in the U.S., relatively cheap and each is a classic in its own right.

*Skin Bracer (or store brand knockoffs, close enough)
    *Blue Aqua Velva (same)
    *Brut (same)
    *Old Spice (both new and vintage, if you can find vintage, so you can see for yourself current O.S. isn't O.S.)

Should probably include Pinaud Clubman -- not one I ever cared for lots of guys like it as a quintessential barbershop fragrance.

RyX, KUSTOM, brit and 1 other person like this.
  18. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Going Along with your top four:

Classic 70s Aqua Velva Ice Blue or PAA Sacré Bleu
    Black Belt or PAA Black Bot
    Sun Up or PAA Sun Down
    Aqua Velva Surf or Avon Windjammer

RyX, KUSTOM, brit and 1 other person like this.
  19. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Bay Rum - I really like Gabels, but there are many variations. Gabels is fairly high in alcohol content
    Old Spice - actual brand, plus I also like the Fred’s knock off, New Spice
    Barbasol Brisk - decent dose of menthol
    Nivea Men After Shave Balm - I like the original, and also the cooling version.

RyX, KUSTOM, brit and 2 others like this.
  20. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Der Speick

Tiredricefarmer and brit like this.