The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

An "All-Stoylin" shave. Repeated yesterday's shave(Sandpiper soap&A.S.), but I used the "Li'l Brudder" brush today. That "Li'l Brudder" works like a "Big Machine".

ezlovan, Gnomeo0228, Yehuda D and 5 others like this.
  2. Latherin’ Luddite

Latherin’ Luddite Well-Known Member

Well, after what I think was about a year, I finally defeated a full tub of Stirling soap!

I haven’t counted my soaps, but it’s at least three dozen. I rotate through them as my moods dictate, and they bring me great happiness. But in the back of my mind I realized it would take YEARS to finish a soap, and I wanted to learn two things by completing one; how much abuse could a 5.8oz tub take, and what does the empty tub weigh.

So I singled out a soap I wasn’t wild about, and figured I’d either learn to appreciate it, or be glad it was gone. For ME that meant Tuscany. I started using it every other day, or sometimes consecutive days, while building lather with me larger brushes, and many times using a little more soap than I really needed. But like the Energizer Bunny, the tub just kept going. It was a big moment when the bottom of the tub finally shown through. I was amazed though at how long long it took to convert the stadium into a larger field! FINALLY a few days ago I moved the last remaining soap from the perimeter to the center where my brushes could attack it better. I got two more shaves at that point, with the final one being a luxuriously thick and indulgent one, whipped up with a Simpson Commodore x2 Best.

Now I’m feeling a bittersweet victory. I’m glad to be rid of that scent, but I kind of miss having it to pick on or use when I couldn’t decide which scent I really wanted. I finally have a tub for tare weight and calculating the percentages of my soaps, AND the personal knowledge of just what kind of a beating a tub can take without appreciable damage. I’m also a little more hesitant to dive into a new tub now before fully committing to the scent. Unused I can sniff a lot and still gift it later.

So it’s a small milestone that I could have reached a long time ago with fewer soaps, but I finally joined the ranks of tub killers, and wanted to announce it publicly.:cool:

3. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Nice work! I often wonder how long a new tub of Stirling would last with regular use. Also if you could post the empty tub weights i would greatly appreciate it!

4. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Did you keep track of how many shaves you got from the Tuscany? I keep track of my soaps and how many times I've used them. It's a little subjective because we all load different amounts and people go through soap at different rates. I'm with @Linuxguile in my curiosity of how long a tub would last.

5. Paul Turner

Can I get in on this action with you two? My curiosity began when Lee(Wet Shaving Products)said his pucks can last 6 months. That may be so if all you shave with for 6 months is the same WSP soap. I guess it would be hard for me to keep count now, except for the Stoylin Sandpiper, which I've just used twice thus far.I'd have to make wild guesses on my others.

6. Rib

Rib Well-Known Member

Last night I tried for the second time a menthol soap from Stirling (first one was Iced Pineapple) as there just seems to be a mass following and love for the menthol.
    Glacial Lemon Chill.
    Loved the smell of the sample puck, I felt like the Lemon smell started to fade as I lathered up and the menthol started to take over but that was somewhat expected and not really a drawback. WOW, my eyes were watering before I completed the first pass, and the chill was powerful. How do you people do this? Started to lather for the second pass and felt like subzero temperatures engulfing my face. I wasnt sure I could take it much longer, but then I dont know why or how but something inside of me started to like it by the end of the shave. and then once the menthol balm was applied my face really felt icy but incredible. I don't even know what to say, I'm not sure if I loved it or was just amazed by the whole sub zero experience but I think I may just go back for more.

Does your love for the glacial seem to grow with time and getting used to it or is it just a love or don't love kind of thing?

7. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I took a little time getting used to it. Tried some Margaritas in the Arctic first and thought it was untenable. Too cold! But then I ended up with a sample of glacial something or other, probably Lemon Chill. It was terrific! I finished off that sample but bought Lemon Chill splash in the meantime. Then I got in on the Glacial Lemony Orange soap and splash. I now want menthol in all my splashes and love it in soaps, too.

8. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

You definitely get used to it, and enjoy it more and more over time.

9. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Your love for and tolerance of menthol will definitely grow. Next get a glacial splash! With the balm the glacial freeze kinda creeps up on you but with the splash it hits you all at once!

10. Paul Turner

I think my Barbershop is ready to go after my next set with it(3 days in a row).

11. Latherin’ Luddite

I’m JUST the personality type to keep track of that kind of thing (drives my wife nuts) but I decided on day one of this new hobby that I was going to relax and check my disorders at the door.:happy088:

I CAN account for every tank of fuel in each of my vehicles (and oil changes, tire rotations and repairs) and tell you that I have produced 766 sub-gallons with my water distiller, and made 150 cups of coffee so far with my new Aeropress. :D

12. Latherin’ Luddite

An empty tub weighs 81 grams (2.8oz).

I’ve only used 1.1 oz each of my two heaviest used, and several others are only down by a half ounce after a lot of shaving. Of course I treat my soaps with respect (except for Tuscany) and have a lot in rotation throughout the year.

Having a pile of long lasting soaps stored away feels as reassuring as a barn with twenty cords of firewood. :happy088:

13. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

January 25th
    Razor: Blackland Sabre L2
    Blade: Gem PTFE (7)
    Brush: PAA Green Ray
    Pre-shave: Stirling Mentholated
    Soap: Stirling Dunshire
    Stirling unscented witch hazel
    PAA Star Jelly unscented
    AS: Stirling Dunshire [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

14. Yehuda D

Yehuda D Israeli Ambassador to TSD

I’m a huge fan of the Lemon Chill and all the other Glacial soaps. You gave me a great idea for my Sunday shave - Glacial MITA! :)

15. Paul Turner

It sounds like the Glacial Meeter A.S. would be Clubman Gent's Gin A.S. on steroids. Clubman hasn't yet come up with a Margarita product-bet they will soon, though.

16. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

January 26th
    Razor: Supply Co 2dot
    Blade: Schick Proline
    Brush: Jayaruh 285
    Pre-shave: Stirling Mentholated
    Soap: Stirling Eskimo Tuxedo
    Stirling mentholated witch hazel
    PAA Star Jelly unscented
    AS: Stirling Sharp Dressed Man [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

17. Yehuda D

You’re a man after my own heart!

Viva Stirling!

18. Yehuda D

23A06692-E628-4C2B-B4B9-1C1AE2DB13E5.jpeg Here’s my Stirling setup for tomorrow:

In the blue container there’s a mentholated pre-shave soap.

19. Paul Turner

Osage to follow Meeter????? Remember my initial reaction to both Gillette Foamy Menthol and Stoylin Glacial Wintergreen Soap?

YEEEEOOOWWWWWWUGGGHHHHH!!!

20. Yehuda D

It’s a pretty lethal freeze. But less than what the Arctique would give. By the way it’s the Glacial Meeter I’ll be using. ;) VERY intense.........