My Brush Repairs, Restorations & Builds

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by Enrico, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

At first I didn't think I'd be able to add any weight, but was glad to give it some. I prefer my brushes with a little weight.

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I'm back with another Ever Ready 150 .....

IMG_1275.JPG

An ugly little one at that .....

Following a bit of work .....
    IMG_1276.JPG IMG_1277.JPG IMG_1278.JPG

Add some weight and a 24mm synthetic flat top .....
    IMG_1281.JPG

Not bad for a common Ever Ready ......

And as always .... more to come! :D

:eatdrink013:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  3. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

@Enrico Great job sanding the cream part--i always end up with uneven colour on that part due to uneven sanding. Amazing work!

Linuxguile and Enrico like this.
  4. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

Very handsome! I like the looks of the flat top. The vintage handle styling goes well with the old school retro knot.

Hope all's well with the mother to be. Any news?

6. brit

brit in a box

nice brushes keith, nice work..

7. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you; I only worked to remove the horizontal line off the body and left the vertical on the base. This time it work out well.

Thank you, I saw them and had to try them out.

:thanks: She's due the middle to the third week of February and still doing well; I see her almost daily at my work.

Thank you, Gary :happy088:

brit, Linuxguile, jimjo1031 and 2 others like this.
  8. brit

brit in a box

recipient says thank you ..:):thanks: 20190117_190019.jpg

9. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Bubbablade and brit like this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I had couple butterscotch brushes that needed some work, so decided to jump on them during the recent snow storm.

IMG_1282.JPG IMG_1284.JPG

The first is a Rubberset that other than rubbed off lettering wasn't bad, (but I needed the base for another brush repair) and a Fuller with a couple nasty splits. I removed the base off the Rubberset, replaced it with a base from another horribly split butterscotch Fuller, weighted and set a 24mm flat top Synthetic knot. I removed the nearly obliterated lettering and polished it up. After removing the knot from butterscotch Fuller, I removed ~1/4" off the top, polished, weighted and set a 28mm flat top synthetic knot.

IMG_1291.JPG
    The cream butterscotch Rubberset

IMG_1289.JPG

And the cream butterscotch Fuller ..... though not perfect ... it's weight, size and feel; make this quite impressive. I really like it! :happy093:

Some may not approve of what I've done, but that's ok.

11. RyX

RyX DoH!

I think Johnny would have approved :happy088:

BigMark83, Keithmax, Enrico and 3 others like this.
  12. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:thanks: I'll eventually be performing a surprising repair on a VP with the base I salvaged from the Rubberset.

RyX and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  13. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I've been a little under the weather, so worked on a couple brushes.

IMG_1296.JPG IMG_1299.JPG
    A very plain Made Rite 700 and a butterscotch Fuller

After a little work ......

IMG_1300.JPG
    The Made Rite with a 24mm Tuxedo flat top
    IMG_1302.JPG
    The butterscotch Fuller with a 22mm Timberwolf

After the usual polishing, weighting and re-knotting; I was very pleased with the Made Rite and much less so with the Fuller (over glue); that said they're both ready for service.

14. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

@Enrico

Aside from the potential for resale, what is your motivation? I ask because I just ordered a silvertip that, with shipping, will be about $65 Canadian to go in a vintage brush that came to $40 after shipping. The brush originally sold for lass than $5!

I had to REALLY remind myself that hobbies are fun and don't always make the best sense. What do you like most about doing restorations?

RyX, Frijolero, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  15. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

To be quite honest, I'm a man that needs to keep busy to retain my sanity. I do this because it give me pleasure saving some of these from the landfill, there's a lot of history in them and it's fun for me. Sure there's the ability to resell them, but not so much to make big money, but enough to be able to keep being able to do it. When I sell them I get two fold enjoyment from it; one I saved a bit of history from the refuse pile and two I'm able pass it on someone that will find enjoyment in this hobby.

As for the cost of purchasing the knots; it would surprise many people that some of these knot that are purchased on well known sites are the same that can be purchased for half to a quarter of the price elsewhere. I'm not say that's always the case, but that it does happen a lot.

Thanks for the questions, I'm alway willing to share information where I can.

Bubbablade, TestDepth, RyX and 8 others like this.
  16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Well I'm still fighting a cold, so jump on a challenge.

I had a couple brushes that started a bad way .....

s-l1600-11.jpg IMG_1297.JPG -------------------> IMG_1303.JPG

The first was a Fuller that had cracks that a truck could drive through; and the second was a Kingsley that also had horrible cracks. I had hopes or restoring the Kingsley, but in the process, it failed totally. I used the base of the Fuller on another brush, but had the top still knocking around my parts bin.

I realized I may be able to salvage something of the two brushes.

IMG_1304.JPG

After much work ..... Frankenbrush arrises!

Yes, it has scars and no it's not perfect, but Igor IT'S ALIVE!!!! ..... and ready for shaving.

Edit ..... I for got to say this little Frankenbrush is wearing a 22mm tuxedo, so it's all ready to help you .... putting on the ritz

:signs136:

Last edited: Jan 28, 2019
  17. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

Hi @Enrico

I've been working my way through all nineteen pages of this thread and enjoyed all of it. You do fantastic work. Keep it up and please keep posting pictures. They are great to see. Thanks, man. Take care.

18. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Thank you for the complements ....

:eatdrink013: God bless

RyX, Frijolero and Ijustmissedthe50s like this.
  19. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Back with another Surrey brush ...

Sorry no before shot, but it was your typical beat Surrey with hair loss and in need of loving.

After re-knotting with a 24mm flat top Tuxedo, weighting, painting, and lots of polishing ........

IMG_1314.JPG
    It has three vertical crack toward the top, but that just serves as character,

20. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

Great looking brush! How do you find the synthetic horse hair? Similiar to the tuxedo? I have been thinking of the one from Maggards

RyX and Enrico like this.