Any thoughts on stainless steel OC razor to buy?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DiggaDog, Jan 26, 2019.

1. DiggaDog

DiggaDog Active Member

Firstly, I've had a couple of OC razors already.
    An Ikon Shavecraft 101 (it died!), and a Gillette NEW LC (replated and such a nice razor).
    Threw the Ikon head away (it rotted as the anodized coating was thin and water got into the alloy head).
    The NEW was lovely, but in a fit of 'sorting out the shave gear' I sold it.
    Then bought a couple of Razorock razors. A Mamba, and a Game Changer (with both base plates). Neither are OC of course.
    So, the Mamba is OK. The Game Changer I can live without.
    I would like a nice stainless steel OC razor, but don't want to buy 'something' that I don't like and be stuck with it, and no spare $$ to 'try' something else.
    I am thinking about a Timeless OC .95 gap. How does that compare to the NEW?
    I want smooth, but efficient. Better (more aggressive?) than my Gillette Techs and the Mamba (a tad too mild).
    Maybe an ATT OC, but which one...R2 maybe?
    I also have a Fatip Picollo (version 2 head) which is sort of OK, but rough as guts finish to it. It shaves fine though.
    A Schone (yeah, not SS but maybe better made than the Fatip) may be OK if I can't find the 'right' SS razor.
    I know I could just buy another NEW, but don't want another unless it's absolutely pristine and a SC this time (again, not SS but I could be tempted).
    What SS OC razors have you tried and love shaving with? Compared to a NEW in smoothness/efficiency.
    Karve with a 'C' plate would probably be great but the SS version is sometime in the future.
    OK, I'm 72 so probably any razor will see me out (except for a zamac one!).
    But I do like stainless steel. I'm asking you folks as you probably know more razor makes/models than I do, as we get such little choice here in NZ for me to compare.
    Your thoughts are welcome.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
    RaZorBurn123, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  2. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Timeless .95 is a wonderful razor. I have the scalloped baseplate and get great shaves with it. I've been considering the OC baseplate myself. I don't think I've seen a bad review of their fit, finish or customer service.

I have a Blackland Blackbird OC which is another fine razor. I think I slightly prefer it over the Timeless.

Happy hunting!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

brit and RyX like this.
  3. DiggaDog

DiggaDog Active Member

Thanks for that. I was looking at the Blackland Blackbird yesterday. Very nice looking.
    Living in New Zealand we pay a heck of a price for a lot of things and razors are no different.
    A $200US razor is over $300NZ plus 15% tax when it enters the country.
    I'm looking at about $400NZ for a Blackbird.
    I'll probably be shopping through the BST, or the dreaded ebay once I have a feel for what I want to buy.
    That's why I asked here. To get an idea about good/bad/don't buy/or excellent razors.
    Edit: OK, a Blackbird is $314NZ plus delivery. Might (if caught) have to pay another 15% GST tax on arrival in country. But no polished versions available... "Out of Stock". Dang!

jluc likes this.
  4. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

You might consider the Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements Stainless Steel Ascension, Twist-Adjustable Double Open Comb. They are currently out of stock but once they get them back in, they are a good value. Currently I have the Aluminum version and love it. I'll probably be getting one after taxes if they are in stock then.

5. DiggaDog

DiggaDog Active Member

Thanks Weasel640, I like the look of that. Been toying with a Yaqi version of the same razor type (SLOC).
    I've now bunged my name down to be advised when they are available.
    Seems good value.

6. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I know you mentioned the Schone and that it's better made than the Fatip. Schone's are made by Fatip. And the Schone open comb is made out of brass. Both the handle and the head. It's a nice razor and definitely inexpensive. I too have been looking for s SS open comb. I was looking for something that is similar to a vintage Gillette New Deluxe, my current favorite go to razor. Ikon made a SS Deluxe that looked pretty similar but now all they make are the ones covered in their proprietary coating. I won't buy one of those. I saw one of the uncoated ones go for well over $100 on the bay the other day. I'm not that desperate. I'll keep looking for a reasonably priced vintage New Deluxe instead. Amazing shaver.

DiggaDog and gorgo2 like this.
  7. SevenEighth

SevenEighth Well-Known Member

If you liked the Mamba I would suggest the ATT M2 rather than the R2, as it is closer in aggressiveness to either of the Mambas. Even though it is their mildest OC it still has a bit of a kick.

8. brit

brit in a box

i like and use the mamba razor.. for open comb my favorite is the british gillette new rfb oc..nickel plated brass..in between a lc and sc new.. they cane be found in nice condition from time to time..

9. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I had an ATT OC M2. Only razor that I have ever owned that rusted. (Where the top cap posts were attached) Sold.

DiggaDog likes this.
  10. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Timeless 95, Schone (since you mentioned it), Ascension all very different, all work well for me. Blackbird I did not like at all, very unpleasant ATG on my head.

DiggaDog likes this.
  11. SparrowPoint

SparrowPoint Active Member

If you like the shave of the Fatip but want more bling and finish then get a Joris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DiggaDog and Frijolero like this.