Slant razors

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by DaveO, Jan 29, 2019.

1. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

I got an Ikon X3 a few months ago and have been shaving with it. It is almost impossible to get the blade in correctly with the blade sticking out the same all along the razor. Is it really important to get it exactly right?

After all the blade is already slanted and this would just make it more or less slanted.

2. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

iKon X3 happens to my favorite razor. This is how I load the razor: I am holding the head with my fingers, loaded with a blade, with the screw pointing down and a short side towards me. I just very gently squeeze together the cap with my fingers and then I push the lower right corner and the upper left corner of the blade fully in with my handle (more safe than fingers). Then I am holding the head tightly together and attaching the handle.

In my experience you get the best shave when loading it like this and you do not need to think further about alignment etc.

3. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

One thing more: You never need to have the blade perfectly aligned, as long as those corners are pushed in. If a slant bites or feels rough, it is almost always because of those two corners. As long as you make those two corners milder, by pushing in them, you are safe (at least with X3).

Rob72 likes this.
  4. DaveO

DaveO Active Member

Thanks, I'll try your method the next time I shave with it. I've been trying to align the blade with the back of a comb. I haven't had much success.