February 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 31, 2019.

?

What favorites will you be using this month?

1. My favorite DE other than a Fatboy!

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. My Fatboy - because it's AWESOME!!

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Another adjustable - because it's almost as AWESOME as the Fatboy!

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. A straight razor or two or three - because the Dark Side and I are one!

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  5. SE razors - because they are the coolest and vintagiest of all the vintages!

19 vote(s)
    41.3%
  6. Mostly cookies. Maybe some cake. And ice cream when I can get it!

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Welcome to February Favorites for 2019!! In the past we've usually tagged February for Fatboy shaves, but now that we've got Fatboy Friday going it's time to change things up. So what is February Favorites you ask? Simple. Pick out a favorite razor or razors, soap or soaps, brush or brushes.....you get the idea, and use those this month just to enjoy a month of great shaves with some favorite gear. Or, if you're trying to find a favorite, this is the month to do some comparison shaves and figure out which really is your favorite. Of course you are free to totally ignore the theme and find your own theme for the month. Want to do Fatboy February? Go for it! Especially if it’s a favorite. And, naturally, Rules and other Focuses are perfectly fine and expected. It's kind of what we do.

One quick programming note as we roll into February. We just set another record for number of posts last month. That’s three consecutive months we’ve broken the record. This place is very busy and that’s perfectly ok. I understand it’s sometimes hard to keep up with everything but we do know life gets busy with other things too. If you fall behind just catch up as you can. If you have to, just jump back in where you are. That’s fine too. Will we set another record this month? Can’t say other than doing it in 28 days instead of 30 or 31 would really be a feat! Ok. Moving on. Let’s get back to business and wind up for the “real start” of the month.

Welcome back or welcome for the first time!! Wondering what the heck a 30 Day Rule or Focus is? Well, let’s let the one, the only, the legendary and mystical @Bama Samurai remind us. Please rise and remove your hats and hold your favorite razor aloft in tribute. We’ll pause for a moment of revered silence.

The 30 Day Rule (designed to build solid technique or learn new technique)

1 brush, 1 soap, 1 brand of blades, 1 razor, 30 Days. The rule is really that simple. It seems boring, but this is probably the most straightforward way to learn for a brand new shaver. This is the exercise that really allowed me to clearly see the interplay between the four elements. It is highly recommended for newly converted shavers and more experienced shavers who have a problem that defies resolution. This exercise eliminates variables and will likely solve any problem you may have, with a strict scientific approach.Any thing that strays from these simple guidelines is not a rule, but rather a focus (not that there's anything wrong with that!)

The 30 Day Focus (more flexible, for exploring and comparing)

This is a less rigorous exercise, designed for exploration and comparison of gear and technique. This is the most common exercise on the thread. Generally the elements are rotated one by one to allow clear observation. Examples of focus areas include brush types, blades, soaps, razor variants, or technique foci as a standalone.

These are the suggested guidelines, and serve as a starting point for the discussion each month. Any thematic elements are up to each individual. We believe that if you've ever sought a great shave, you have something to offer. And if you're searching for great shaves, we will definitely try to help. If you are new to TSD, I believe you've landed in a great place. Everyone here participating would love to answer your questions and help you get the most from your shaving. We are very glad you're here! So, if you're new, stop in for a Valentine cookie and meet the crew.

Rules are the same people.

1. New Members always welcome. Start anytime.

2. Old Members always welcome. Ok, ok…you’re not old. You’re experienced.
    3. Respect everyone
    4. Follow the rules of the forum
    5. All razor types and styles welcome
    6. There is no such thing as a stupid question, or a question that has been asked too many times. If you need to know something just ask!
    7. Given the current state of the cold war between the Cartel and the Cookie Rebellion we are still offering donuts as our second option for daily goodies. We’re negotiating for cake – but until the Rebellion loosens up the Ice Cream supply that will be difficult. Negotiations continue.
    8. If you are completely at a loss to understand the Cartel, Rebellion, etc ……know that these all fall under the category of “shenanigans”. It’s just another thing we do.

Let's have some great shaves people! Welcome to February Favorites!!! Group hug people!

30 day crew portrait.jpg

Paul76, Screwtape, Terry and 15 others like this.
  2. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I'm thinking I may give my SE razors some needed love. Like to polish off a few soaps too. Have a great month guys!

3. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

Another 30 Day Rule for me. This time with a "Made in Germany" theme. I don't own a brush from Germany so my Plisson "La Maison du Barbier" synthetic will have to suffice. France kind of brushes up against Germany and at one point in history bristled at the thought of them being so close. Sorry, just had to.:D
    So:

Brush - Plisson Synth.
    Soap - Tabac.
    Blade - Merkur (excalibur 'cuz I can only find one in my stash, unless I luck out and find another).
    Razor - Merkur 34G.
    Balm - Nivea "Cooling".
    Cologne - Tabac (What else?).

I'll post a photo of the gear set-up tomorrow.

Bama Samurai, brit, Paul76 and 18 others like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

i am going try and pick some favorites this month,soaps,razors etc.so basically anything goes..

5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Focused February

Bonus Late night Samurai Edition

Thread Hijack:

And now legendary Brit DJs Massive Attack will remix and treat you to some William DeVaughn with a heavy dose of smooth. Mostly for the internationally known and still locally respected @Keithmax and the boys at Seoul Cartel HQ. But alas, there might be a message here. You know, back when the words meant something.

Please have a listen, it's four minutes of happy:

Kids, if you're reading. This is how people really played bass in the seventies. Try and not sway to the music. See? Also when you pick up that bass need to rock, and rock hard...lean on Fsharp. Walk it in. And use a pick. Also, don't be like Glen Danzig. He's what happens when someone mixes excessive steroids with Brylcreem and self-loathing. Otherwise, stay in school, eat your veggies and when the time comes to shave with a single edge?

Welcome to the new converts and vets alike! @NCoxSTL

Hey new guys!

It ain't about the razor.

Or the soap.

Or the knot.

It's about learning a skill.

It's about the feeling of focus and control.

It's about succeeding, daily, and not even being worried about the outcome.

It's an experience.

Let's glide the steel, shall we?

31 January, MMXIX A.D.

[​IMG]

Have a Great February!

:)

6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I'm in, of course! Continue with the alphabetical software journey that was inspired (or copied) by @jluc. It's been a fun focus. Will rotate through my razors again. I'm hoping to identify some candidates for selling of PIFing as well as some things to finish off.

Looking forward to a terrific month!

Paul76, Terry, Hembree and 17 others like this.
  7. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

For my main focus this month, I want to follow along with the message of @Bama Samurai -to be happy with what I have. Thank you @Bama Samurai , you couldn't have said that any better myself. :). I do have some purchases in mind, but I don't need to do so just yet. Thus my theme is-(if I may paraphrase Dick Vitale)-REDUCTION, BAYBEEE! Looking forward to a great February here. Oh, and I almost forgot-the first nomination of the 2020 Stoylin Tony Awards will be in this month.:).

8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

That is smooooooooooth baby. Time to download some new toons. Another great selection Chris :thanks:

9. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Of course I'm in! Alphabetical EDSIO will continue then nothing but bay rum will finish out the month. Razors and brushes will be unfocused.

Here's to another great month!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

10. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Well since all y'all mentioned it, I'm gonna go all SE this month. There are some In use more than others, but those that know me, know I am an SE purist!

So in the spirit of helping, and giving back to this great group, I'd like to announce that if ANYONE needs advice or help with their SE shaves this month, just tag me and I will be more than happy to help .

This community has given so much to me that I feel it is only right to give back in the best way I know how.
    Shave on!

11. Drygulch

Drygulch Snowballs

I'm going to continue my EDRIO, and work through some soap as well, hopefully! My other goal is to try and keep up with this crazy thread.

12. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

For the first time. I actually voted for every answer in the poll. Yes, I know the Cartel used propaganda to get me to vote for cookies, but what kind of insane maniac actually votes against ice cream? Will this be the month that the cartel starts trafficking ice cream and peace comes to the land? Only time will tell.
    As for focus, I think I am gong to focus on making the remaining 2 oz of GD Ambrosia disappear in order to reduce my soap count by one. Can it be killed in 28 days? Dunno. I may also stick mostly with my Damascus straight and see what learnings it has in store for me.

Terry, Paul76, Douglas Carey and 20 others like this.
  13. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I'm in for Favourites February for sure. I'll go with razors in a few different categories- Favourite Gillette OC, Favourite Tech, Favourite TTO, Favourite non-Gillette DE, Favourite Injector, Favourite SE...that should get me about 4-5 shaves with each. Some of those categories will be a bit of an internal debate for me to make a choice on...:).
    For software, I'll use a rotation of favourites for performance and scents. Even though Jeeves is a favourite I'll put them aside as I just focussed on them for a month. I'll continue to break in some recently completed brushes as well.
    Looking forward to a great month with some of my favourite gear!

14. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

After seeing the original 30DC thread revived recently, it has inspired me to do another focus. I joined in this thread in April of 2015 wanting to get better shaves with my Fatboy, so I am going to repeat that. It will be all Fatboy all month for me. On days I am either on travel or at the gym, I am going to use only Arko, in honor of the thread originator @Bama Samurai. On the days I am home, I am going to use only Stirling soaps. I am looking forward to a fun month.

15. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Great idea for a focus, Jim!

brit, Drygulch, Hembree and 7 others like this.
  16. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

Thank you, Perry!

17. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

I am in for Fabulous February. I don't have an extensive den so most of my gear is highly favored by me. However, I will have new firsts in my shave journey that I am excited to share with everyone. My first Feb shave will start tomorrow morning.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
    brit, Paul76, Drygulch and 17 others like this.
  18. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

For the beginning of February I'll be taking a slight detour of EDRIO and spend a week getting cozy with my new Blackland Sabre. Then I will resume EDRIO and continue working on breaking in my Maggard mixed knot and maybe using some neglected software.

brit, Drygulch, Hembree and 15 others like this.
  19. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    I'm in for what else? Straights, of course. I only have 13 SR shaves under my belt, so I have my February, March and most of April all planned out.
    I am going to also focus on selling my DE's (Sold one today). I'll keep a few, but I see no reason to keep them all, especially since I have acquired some new straights. :D
    Side note: My wife looks at my shave shelf this morning and says: "You've been buying more brushes!" I looked her deeply in her beautiful brown eyes and honestly replied: "I have not bought any new brushes". :angelic007:

brit, Droo78, Paul76 and 19 others like this.
  20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I didn't know you got a Sabre! Congrats! I'm anxious to hear your thoughts on it!

Sent from my SM-T800 using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.