Talk me into a single edge

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Leclec13, Jan 29, 2019.

1. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

I prefer AC style SE razors. If you've used shavettes, you're already familiar with the blades. I find I get a smoother 2 pass shave with an AC SE razor, with Colonial razors my weapon of choice. The blade is thicker and stiffer and does not bend in the razor like a DE blade. Perhaps that's why they seem to work better for me?

I've never tried a 1/2 DE razor.

Frijolero likes this.
  2. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

So, here is the skinny in the SE razors.
    1. They were the actual original safety razors. They came out before the "modern" DE razors.
    2. The angle of the blade to the face is much different. You are running the blade more straight and almost parallel to the face, vs the 25 degree or so angle from the DE.
    3. The blades are stiffer and much less prone to "blade chatter". Stiffer and more rigidity means the blade stays in contact with the skin for longer and offers better feedback.
    4. Less available blades means that you have to be on point with technique. You have to master it, and then you realize that blades don't make that much of a difference after all.
    5. Lather isn't as big of a deal with SE razors. Little thin, no problem. Thank as yogurt, that works too. Again it comes down to technique.
    6. It is essentially a straight razor on a stick.
    7. The MicroMatic series of razors are built like Russian tanks. They will survive just about anything.
    8. It's more fun. Almost everyone out there has heard or knows about DE razors, but less folks have heard/ know about SE.
    9. All the cool kids are doing it, and after all over pressure is a great reaon to use.

3. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Well Keith
    I had the same issue with Schick Injectors, dull blades. It was sugested to me to try Schick B-20 blades. You have to install them into an injector unit because they don't come in an one.
    But I do use the injectors now.
    My E-5 is a good shaver with B-20 blades.
    The Gem style razors take what looks like a box cutter blade, but don't be fooled. There are blades for utility knifes and blades for shaving, they look the same but are not interchangable.

tp

Enrico, PLAla and Frijolero like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

i tried se and it was ok..schick e3 and an english eveready 1924. just like my vintage gillettes more at the moment..good luck ,you may like them..

Frijolero likes this.
  5. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Greetings.

I have 2 Focus Dynamic 1/2 DE Single Edge Razors. Along my journey I used them exclusively for 90 days. With a properly loaded Feather blade I found it able to deliver irritation free shaves that will pass the cottonball test every day. I consider it The wedding razor.

I got 2 so I could load them both when I snap or cut a blade. I won't kid you, they are finicky to load. You have to make sure the blade does not kick out, even a little. I check every time under magnification. If you don't have it parallel and against the posts, you can be asking for trouble.

It has its own technique. You must apply enough pressure high on the top to get the pivoting mechanism to simultaneously engage the cap, blade, and guard to your skin. The blade is always at the parfect angle and both the cap and guard provide skin stretching. Some may compare it to a cartridge, but it is not really the same in use.

Once I took up straights my use tapered off. Straights really helped me to a better feel with everything else I use except the Focus. The Focus did reveal the growth direction of my beard real well. If you want that "cotton ball test' shave, you have to go ATG. And if you have any areas that grow every which way, you can have the confidence to make those extra passes without irritation.

If there were some method or design change to hold the blade from kicking out, I'm sure there would be more popularity. I've used a range of blades and found top performance only on Feathers.

These things don't cost too steep, so if you're in a good position, I'd say 'why not'. Good luck, hope this helps.

6. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

@Leclec13

I just checked 'the marketplace' classifieds and billdog2 has one listed for $20. Worth a shot.

Linuxguile and Frijolero like this.
  7. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

It’s no longer for sale... thanks to me.

8. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I agree that the se is closer to a str8 shave. Personally I found the injectors as close as you can get, with some exceptions. You have to rinse more often and you don’t have to have as slick if lather as you do with the str8.
    I didn’t really like the GEM type all that much and punted them all. I still have a couple of injectors though:).

Leclec13, Edison Carter and PLAla like this.
  9. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

It's been said over and over again both here and elsewhere. But it can't be over emphasized...

The single edge blade for shaving, is like you cut an inch and a half section out of the center of a shave ready straight. Then you mount it in a shaving handle that always holds it at the optimum whisker slicing angle.

I think this is a very close discription of what is happening with your best single edge razors....Injectors are close to that aswell.

I recommend a lather catcher, ie ER 1907 thru 1913, or GEM Junior Bar (for milder perferences), if you only want one razor and are immune to RAD.
    [​IMG]

The lather catchers might require more shopping, but offer as close and smooth as a str8 and have that similar tactile and audible feedback.

Also auto-strops are phenomenal...but require a little experience as far as fitting blades...but worth it.

Second tier recommendations: ER:1914, 1924, &1912, in that order.
    GEM: Damaskeenes, & 1912s, Feather Weight (for slightly milder shaves)

Micro-Matics: clog-pruf, ocmm, for those who like TTO's

Injectors: Schick and PAL...I never met an injector I didn't love...no learning curve...
    I personally think the lather catchers are the closest to a str8 shave though.. But still better than any DE I know of. IMHO...ymmv. .lol

Its true you don't have the blade selection...But the GEM stainless or carbons are better than any DE blades I know of...So are the Personnas for that matter. IMHO!

PS...ymmv....lmao!!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
  10. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

MMOC2.jpg MMOC.jpg Micromatic.jpg
    Consider a GEM Micromatic Open Comb (MMOC) the blade are thicker than DE, last longer, and the angle is similar to a shavette or SR. These are readily available as is the PTFE GEM blades. DO NOT USE BOX CUTTER BLADES

11. Leclec13

Thanks for the info, similar to riding the cap... I’ve been researching gems. And love open combs. Trying to resist starting another collection. I was joking about box cutter earlier, I’m aware they use special blades. Any issues to look for shopping MMOC razors?

Frijolero likes this.
  12. Chuck Naill

Just fine a good one on eBay. Some have the original case

Try A Blade and Amazon have the PTFE blades.

Frijolero likes this.
  13. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Also Andrew's Shave Shop on Etsy carrys the 100 blade GEM Stainless Teflon Coated, really top tier blades...

Some prefer the Carbon blades because the first shave is like super smooth. And with SS blades some find the first couple shaves not as smooth, but then most get more shaves out of one, and after the second shave they feel like the carbons...

I say try both...The carbons you do need to take out and dry and store dry between shaves or they will rust. No big thing....

Around here, "Fred Meyers" carries GEM Blue Star Stainless blades too.

Micromatics are bullet proof. They have found; those in the dirt; with metal detectors, on WWII battlefields...Cleaned them up and they worked perfect. One guy even ran over his with his truck and it still worked...lol!!
    Although I wouldn't with a razor I really dug!

The ocmm is great, and the clog-pruf is great aswell...I have heard some say they thought the clog-pruf had a tad less learning curve. While I understand why they said that... I found both the ocmm and the clog-pruf were love at first stroke..

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

jtspartan, Hembree, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  14. johnnyflake

johnnyflake Well-Known Member

At this time, in my wet shaving career, the GEM Micromatic and the Schick L1, are my favorite razors. Totally different styles of razor, but IMHO, they offer very similar shaves, very smooth and very close.

Hembree, Frijolero and Linuxguile like this.
  15. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

Thank for the plug!

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

Hembree and Frijolero like this.
  16. Chuck Naill

Don’t waste your money. Get the PTFE GEM blades .

Hembree and Frijolero like this.
  17. Rob72

Rob72 Member

I've used just about every common, or modestly rare DE, SE and Straight variant out there, so I will say, yes, excellent shaves may be obtained with any blade. Having said that, the Gem compatible, early, SEs do it more easily than most other common, reasonably priced, choices. The DeHaven can use the 1/2 DE blade, as do the Rocnel SEs. I have them, but will be selling the Rocnels (OC and CC)as, for me, they aren't significantly "better" than my more aggressive DE platforms. The DeHaven # 3, with a modified blade holder and Shark blade is...sublime! The Gem Lather Catchers, IME, have a slightly longer-lasting shave, tho', as they have a more rigid blade and exfoliate as much as they cut hair.

Down the road ;), the Asylum RX, with Feather blades is indeed a straight on a stick. I consistently get a 16 hour DFS from mine, BBS for ~10 hours.

Edison Carter and Frijolero like this.
  18. Leclec13

i might be interested in rocnel,

$200 plus asylum, too rich for me!

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  19. Rob72

Rob72 Member

Sent you a PM. I'd also suggest the Wilkinson Sword Empires that will take the Gem blades. They are some of my favorites.

20. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

There is a silly looking plastic thingie that does. Dynamic or some such? Sorry I am late to the game here.

Frijolero likes this.