February 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 31, 2019.

?

What favorites will you be using this month?

1. My favorite DE other than a Fatboy!

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. My Fatboy - because it's AWESOME!!

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Another adjustable - because it's almost as AWESOME as the Fatboy!

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. A straight razor or two or three - because the Dark Side and I are one!

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  5. SE razors - because they are the coolest and vintagiest of all the vintages!

19 vote(s)
    41.3%
  6. Mostly cookies. Maybe some cake. And ice cream when I can get it!

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome @Moose! Knock the dust of the #195 and check your blades stash. Which blades do you prefer, and what do you have available?

Do proceed with either knowledge and forethought, or reckless abandon. We've got all types here in the 30 Day Crew. I'm a "Load a Feather Hi-Stainless & crank it up to nine" kind of a FB user. TTT

2. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Ever since I started SR shaving, I can get by without shaving for 36 to 48 hrs depending on my work schedule. When I use a safety razor, the time between shaves is somewhat shorter. Therefore, 6 shaves a week is not happening unless I choose to do so. Five shaves is doable.

3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Well the question is are you one of those people who puts a toe in the water first or just jumps right in? That should determine which setting on the razor to start at.

4. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

Recommendation: If you’re just starting out, set the Fatboy at 3, forget about the dial, pick one soap, one blade and one brush and work on technique all month. You’ll be glad you did. Fiddling with the settings will slow your progress. Also, be sure change to a new blade (of the same type) every 3 days.

5. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I know my shaves improved immensely after doing a rule.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Here is what Gillette recommended for the Fat Boy depending your beard type.
    FBInstruct.jpg

7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Fatboy Feb for me.

8. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

That helps. Thanks!

9. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Welcome aboard.

10. Moose

Moose Well-Known Member

I usually shave every other day. Mostly because of sensitive skin. I like the idea of starting at 3. Can't decide between Personna Platinum or Feather blades. Feathers feel best in my Merkur 34c, dont know if that will be too aggressive in the Fatboy. The blade angle of the Fatboy looks to be a lot shallower. Ride the cap, right?

Terry, Trigger, FaceScraper and 12 others like this.
  11. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I think I’ll focus on straight razors this month

12. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

I also want to add the 30 day rule for me might turn into a focus after the first blade if the first set of shaves on the Astra are consistently BBS or close to it. If that is the case then I am switching up blades for each set of shaves for the rest of the month. See if I can get consistent shaves that way instead.

13. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

I will keep up the focus on the straight razor this month. I will still be needing a safety razor to finish, so that is where favorites will come in. Micromatic, of course. All flavors. And the single ring. Soaps? I'll keep working on killing off what I can.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2019
    Terry, Trigger, FaceScraper and 16 others like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

well happy february ..got some new gillette oc razors coming,a new captains choice heavy copper bowl and a soap or three on their way as well..definitely a favorites month,with a fatboy shave or 2..will make this a Fine february as well and use their products as my main line..love their aftershaves and want to dial in the soaps more..boar brushes for this months focus, with a badger or synth for fun..thanks again for having me here..

15. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

Stirling and Arko, now your speaking my language!
    Hey, no need to worry about not having alot of gear. Use what you have and master that!
    Setting 9. Run it wide open. No, seriously though get your technique right and before long you won't even set it at anything other than wide open!
    This is probably going to put me on blast by the Cartel, but are you sure you actually have sensitive skin? I would almost bet that unless it is an allergic reaction to a product, it may be less than stellar technique.

Trigger, Hembree, Drygulch and 9 others like this.
  16. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Fell right into our trap. Once you vote for cookies you're ours!

Paul76, Hembree, Drygulch and 9 others like this.
  17. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

A worthy focus.

Trigger, Drygulch, Linuxguile and 9 others like this.
  18. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Can't go wrong with a Fatboy. Nothing to be nervous about. You're gonna LOVE that razor!

Trigger, Hembree, Drygulch and 11 others like this.
  19. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

:signs011:

Trigger, Drygulch, Linuxguile and 7 others like this.
  20. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Well let's start February out with some show and tell left over from the Raffle in January. Here's the wooden shave bowl from @jtspartan that I won in the raffle. It's a BEAUTY!

Wooden Bowl.jpg

And, of course, Canadian Maple attracts Canadian Maple

Wooden Bowl with brush.jpg

And a view of the inside

Wooden bowl with brush inside.jpg
    I have no idea yet what soap will end up in this beauty but I know it makes a great addition around here! My third piece from @jtspartan . 30DC LE brush, the Canuck brush and now the bowl. Don't tell me I'm not a classy guy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.