Next step razor question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by fernloth, Jan 23, 2019.

1. fernloth

fernloth New Member

Forgive me if this is a ridiculously well-covered topic.

I started shaving with a DE razor three years ago. My first and current razor is a Merkur 33C, but now that I've become more accustomed to shaving with it, I think it may be a little too mild for me. It really takes a two or three pass shave to get close enough and with coarser hair, I deal with a lot of bump issues with it.

I'm no daredevil and not looking to chum up the bathroom, but I would like a decent step up in "aggressiveness" I guess. I've been looking at the Merkur adjustable Futur, slants and the open comb razors...but it's hard to tell from user reviews which (if any) are the right direction. Any advice is welcome.

Keithmax, PLANofMAN, brit and 3 others like this.
  2. brit

brit in a box

hello and welcome..vintage gillette adjustable, ie fatboy,slim or super adjustable, rockwell 6 s or c,has different plates to adjust. or a karve cb..with different plates..these are all available , are affordable and have lots of people that like and know about them here,,check out the 30 DC thread, lots of knowledge and fun there...

MR41, Zed117, Frijolero and 5 others like this.
  3. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

A Merkur Progress is an adjustable razor that I find smooth and efficient. It can be adjusted to your desired level of aggression. The Parker Variant is very similar. You can't go wrong with either.

Herm

Frijolero, Hembree and brit like this.
  4. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

2011 Muhle R41. My daily driver for years. This razor ended my RAD forever.

The 2013 version is okay, but pales in comparison to the 2011.

Herm2502, Keithmax, brit and 2 others like this.
  5. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

My favorite razor is a Gillette Razor that was issued to me when I went to boot camp. Before we got on the bus to go to boot camp the American Red Cross gave each of us a bag that had personal hygiene items (tooth paste, tooth brush, a Gillette DE Razor and a package of razor blades, and a can of shaving cream.) It's not an adjustable razor it just a Gillette razor.

I ue a Gillette Fusion Razor with Flex Ball Technology most of the time now.

preidy, RyX, brit and 1 other person like this.
  6. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Actually, two or three passes is pretty typical. A few people do more than that even. But if your heart is set on it, then by all means explore. Variety is the spice of life. Just don't throw out the 33C. Come back to it after a year, and you might just find it not as "mild" as you remembered.

Having said all that, have you considered a single-edge? I'm a big fan of pretty much all things Gem. Have a look here:
    https://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/gem-razor-models.60719/

Oh, by the way - welcome to The Shave Den. You should stop by the welcome center and introduce yourself.

7. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

I am sorry, I read your post and didn't welcome you to the Shave Den.
    I'm sorry for being so "Crude, Rude and Socially Unacceptable" and not noticing that you're a new member.
    Welcome aboard!

RyX, brit and Frijolero like this.
  8. Chuck Naill

Chuck Naill Well-Known Member

PAA makes a couple Bakelite slant models for $20 that are pretty cool retro copies that are fun to use. I have both.

https://phoenixartisanaccoutrements...ors/products/phoenix-bakelite-open-comb-slant

https://phoenixartisanaccoutrements...t-razor-aluminum-7075-anodized-antique-bronze

Moderators please delete if links are not allowed.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  9. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Try a Feather blade in it.

Seriously, Feather blades are super sharp, but they also tend to be slightly wider than most other double edge blades. The combination of sharpness and added exposure makes for a more aggressive shave and can turn a 'too mild' razor into a good shaver.

gorgo2, DesertTime, Herm2502 and 5 others like this.
  10. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

:signs011:
    As you see your technique improve you will soon begin to understand that a blade is a blade and a razor is a razor. With proper technique you will be able to make any razor shave well.
    However before you begin to get on the bus of needing the latest and greatest, I urge you to head over to the 30 day crew and they will help you out so much!

brit, RyX, BlaydRunner and 1 other person like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Welcome to TSD @fernloth! Glad you joined us and brought your experience with you. There's so much to know about all this. You may have answers for other folks, and I hope we can help guide you, too.
    I enjoy a Chinese clone of the Futur - a Ming Shi 2000s. It was quite a bit less expensive than the original. From reports by folks who've used both it gives a comparable shave. Because I've migrated to and enjoy aggressive DE razors I'd say it's a step in that direction. Being an adjustable you can tune it to your preference if the adjustment range falls where you like it.

I satisfied my Slant Curiosity with a vintage German made Lutz 3 piece DE. It features a two sided scalloped comb for either mild or aggressive shaving. The main feature of a Slant can mostly be achieved by doing The Gillette Slide. Tipping the head of the DE and making a scything stroke. There may be something mysterious to the way the base and cap warps the blade rather than the regular curve of other DE's.

As to Open Combs? Vintage Gillette NEW Long Comb! Fatip! And only one shave so far on a Yaqi Double Open Comb! Different from other 3 piece DE's? Yes & no. The first two are generally recognized as being aggressive. The reviews of the Yaqi DOC are mixed, but I got a decent beard reduction from my first use. The secret to OC razors - when you Ride The Cap, the combs on the base plate hardly touch your skin. It's more about blade exposure in my opinion.

If you want some help developing your best technique for close comfortable shaves, visit The 30 Day Rule / Focus Group. Bunch of Coaches and Cheerleaders that are glad to share their experience to guide you to a no irritation beard reduction!

brit and Frijolero like this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Welcome to the TSD.

I also recommend the Merkur Futur, it is an adjustable and can adjust from medium aggressive to wild. It will allow you to try various levels of aggressiveness.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  13. MR41

MR41 Well-Known Member

Ditto

Herm2502 and brit like this.
  14. CrustyCat

CrustyCat Well-Known Member

I got tired of fiddling with my razor, so most of the time I just use a red tip super speed.

gorgo2, Herm2502 and Frijolero like this.
  15. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

Howdy !
    download.jpg

16. Rob72

Rob72 Member

Welcome!:)

I second most all of the above, lol!

Cheapest step up would be the Feathers, and yes, they do make a difference.

Next, a Gillette adjustable and a Gem Micromatic.

If you get bored there, or want to stay modern, I recently picked up a Karve with the D-F plates, and the F is an amazingly smooth, blade-rich shave!

On the SE side, and a step up in price, the Asylum RX was a completely new thing for me. As with any of these, YMMV, but I dearly love mine.

Frijolero likes this.
  17. Rob72

Rob72 Member

Heck, pm me your mailing address, I'll drop 5 Feathers in the mail.

18. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Two or three passes are pretty typical, so I wouldn't fret about that. I thought @PLANofMAN's suggestion was excellent. Try that before dumping your current razor. I use Feathers in my milder razors, like the Mamba, and get terrific results.

PLANofMAN and Frijolero like this.
  19. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Red Tip.