Proraso Single Blade- Azur Lime

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by KUSTOM, Feb 5, 2019.

1. KUSTOM

KUSTOM Well-Known Member

I found this stuff on Ebay for $18.49 shipped so I gave it a go. This is an insanely good shaving cream. The lather is huge and quite slick. I'd say it's a level above the standard Proraso line (red, green, blue and white) and I got a real good clean shave from it.

[​IMG]

Sounds good so far, right? Wrong. I couldn't hate this stuff more and here's why.
    It comes in a 9.5 oz frosting bag with a screw top. That's almost twice the size of the standard cream at almost 3X the price, so you better like it or plan on sharing it. I didn't like it. The scent, in my opinion, is an absolute f♣♣♣ing train wreck. This is a very complex mix of very terrible smells. Notes of urinal cake, cheap cologne, fake lime, and really dirty musk are floating around your face popping in and out at random. The scent doesn't gel in a harmonious way, it just remains as separate pieces of a very stinky puzzle.

Now, I seem to be way in the minority here because almost every review I've read is extremely positive. I used it three times just to make sure my nose was reading this correctly. Yup. Sold it on Ebay for about what I paid for it.

I'd be very interested to hear what others think of this product. I also have the Cypress & Vetyver and am enjoying that one very much. It reminds me of Pre de Provence No. 63- strong woody scent. I'm too scared to try the Wood & Spice right now, maybe sometime in the distant future.

PLANofMAN, Steve56, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thanks for the review @KUSTOM. I use and enjoy Proraso Red, Green, and White soap, Red & Green AS, Blue balm, & Green Preshave. I've thought about trying the Single Edge line but that "frosting bag/screw top" doesn't make sense unless you purchase the $165 dispenser. Being a fan of lime scented shave products doesn't make me want to try "urinal cake, cheap cologne, fake lime, and really dirty musk" at any price.

Anyone know of a vendor selling smaller samples of these three latest releases from Proraso?

Keithmax, brit and Frijolero like this.
  3. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

I've got the wood and spice. I love it. I transfer 2oz of it to a smaller bottle and store the rest.

KUSTOM, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  4. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

https://shavedash.com/

Samples, samples, and more samples. Anymore I always look there first.

RyX likes this.
  5. MntnMan62

MntnMan62 Well-Known Member

I won't try the single edge line by Proraso because they only sell it in those massive bags. No way could I ever use that up in my lifetime.

Keithmax, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  6. Frijolero

Keithmax, MntnMan62 and RyX like this.
  7. RyX

RyX DoH!

I haven't checked the ingredients, but if it's like other creams it contains enough preservatives to retard bacterial growth due to the water content. Comparing price per ounce is apples and oranges when the cream is a prehydrated product. I'm not fanatic about "avoiding chemicals", but have gotten used to & like a solid triple milled puck of soap be it new or vintage.

Yehuda D, Hembree and Frijolero like this.
  8. MntnMan62

KUSTOM, oscar11, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

i have the wood and spice set and the cypress /vetiver set. like them both,wood and spice is my favorite of the 2. never bothered with the lime as i have too many lime soaps already..
    you might like the wood and spice if you like the red...

BigD, RyX and Frijolero like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Only recently got the Red AS to go with the Red tub soap. I'm thinking I'd like to also have the Red preshave soap because I like the Green PSS. Thanks for the recommendation Gary @brit!

KUSTOM, brit, Frijolero and 1 other person like this.
  11. Frijolero

Prodigiously? I don't have access to their books, but I seriously doubt that. It's a drugstore brand in Italy. I don't know of a single brick and mortar chain that carries it here. It isn't marketed here at all. Only word of mouth by us few shave nerds. Hard to imagine the US being any more than a niche market for them. That is why everything new that they come out with is released across the pond first. Even the giant bags took a long time to find there way to the US. No sinister conspiracy here.

brit, MntnMan62 and RyX like this.
  12. MntnMan62

I've bought Proraso in C.O. Bigelow Pharmacy in Manhattan. I believe Pasteur's Pharmacy also has it. Clearly that does not translate into "prodigiously". But, almost every online retailer carries it. In today's day and age I consider that prodigiously. Amazon, Walmart, Walgreens, CVS, and all the US based online shaving websites carry it online. I don't buy anything in the store anymore unless it's fresh produce, meats, poultry and other foodstuffs or clothes that I have to try on. So much easier to open the door and reach into the mailbox. You're right that it's not a conspiracy but I just wonder why they don't offer the smaller packaging here. I realize that it makes sense for them to release their products over there first since that is where they are physically located. But it doesn't take much to offer it to US distributors or retailers. I would think they could increase sales since I assume I am not alone in holding off until they are willing to sell it in quantities that we can use before head underground. Clearly I'm someone that would try all three having heard that these three creams are a step above the regular line. I'm not that big a fan of the regular line even though I have all four plus backups of each. :D But they sit and don't see much action. If these are better, I'm game, such is my SCAD.

KUSTOM, brit, Frijolero and 1 other person like this.
  13. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

@MntnMan62
    I was under the belief that the Proraso Single Blade line was made more towards the Salon/Barber Shop industry. It just so happens their biggest customers are weirdos like us. Thus them coming out with the smaller packaging and discontinuing the larger format. What I would love to see is them coming out with this product as a Soap in the tub.

Personally I like the bigger packaging. I PIF a lot to my friends. It's nice to squeeze some out into a travel bottle and give a gift of great shaves.

KUSTOM, brit, Frijolero and 3 others like this.
  14. MntnMan62

I realize that the intention is to market to barbers. But let's get real here. Most people shave themselves. I've never been to a barber for a shave. They can continue to sell the large bags to barbers and sell the smaller sized tubes to nut jobs like us with a small hike in the price to justify it. I'd pay a little more per ounce/gram for the privilege of being able to purchase smaller denominations. And since no one I know is a classic wet shaver, despite my attempts at conversion, I have no one to PIF the stuff to.

KUSTOM, brit, Frijolero and 2 others like this.
  15. RyX

RyX DoH!

I found one. Just one shop that carries a portion of the Proraso line. The owner of a local pharmacy, Hobgood's, is a wet shaver. He keeps several tub soaps, preshave soap, and aftershaves, along with DE blades (Feathers!) & razors, and several custom brushes.

I doubt getting it shipped from his shop would be less expensive that ordering from other suppliers.

brit and Frijolero like this.
  16. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Nice review @KUSTOM.
    I've been out of the loop for a while and didn't know Proraso had this new line out. Probably won't try it until the smaller tube is available, I don't mind larger packaging if it's something I know I'll use and enjoy.

KUSTOM, brit, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  17. RyX

RyX DoH!

Being on a limited entertainment budget I make my purchases count. After doing a fair amount of reading I chose Proraso Red AS as the only sandalwood I've bought. Gary @brit & I have similar tastes in scents so I take his endorsement as high praise.

Frijolero, brit and BigD like this.
  18. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

@RyX
    Absolutely nothing wrong with frugality. +1 in my book.

KUSTOM, Frijolero, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  19. brit

brit in a box

some one here mentioned that it should come available in tubes at some point. the green is available in the barbers bag as well.

Frijolero and BigD like this.
  20. BigD

BigD Well-Known Member

Absolutely. The big bag of Green is $15.99 at the time of this typing at the Italian Barber. 500ml of Green Goodness. Cheaper and more plentiful than the 275ml of the Single Blade line at $19.99.

KUSTOM, Frijolero, RyX and 1 other person like this.