"Golden" Fatboy question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by pcm81, Feb 8, 2019.

1. pcm81

pcm81 Member

I bought an old fatboy on ebay. Old, beatup, cruddy condition. After spending couple of days trying to clean it up with solvents etc i finally gave up and put it into my sandblasting box. I was expecting to see steel inder the rust and plating, but instead i am seeing yellow / golden finish being revealed when rust and nickel get removed by the blaster. Does this make sense to anyone?

I stopped before i do something stupid... I thought these were made from steel... empty razor weight 87 grams.

Thanks ahead

Attached Files:

CrustyCat, RyX and gorgo2 like this.
  2. pcm81

pcm81 Member

My bad, 82 grams is the weight without blade, not 87.

3. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

The Fatboy is made of nickel-plated brass, not steel.

brit, Hembree, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  4. pcm81

pcm81 Member

May be bronze plating under nickel?

Hembree likes this.
  5. pcm81

pcm81 Member

Oh, that makes sense then, i thought it was steel.

gorgo2 likes this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Or...the fabled golden 195, lost since 1960, has finally been uncovered! That means he wins the unclaimed grand prize of the Boston plant VIP tour and a lifetime supply of Gillette Blue Blades! :bounce017::happy093:

(just kidding, pcm, it's brass but you got a classic razor there. Welcome to the Den)

wristwatchb, brit, Herm2502 and 2 others like this.
  7. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

No. The Fatboy is nickel plated brass.

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk

DaltonGang and RyX like this.
  8. RyX

RyX DoH!

(Apologies for going Basic on information. Don't want you to give up on what is a great razor!)

Well loved Fat Boys with the nickle plate wearing off are often refereed to as "brassy". As long as the adjuster spins (the ring just under the base plate with numbers on it) and changes the blade gap & the bottom TTO (twist to open) knob makes the top doors open and -important- close including the crucial 1/4 turn lock down then you've got a functional piece of shaving history. Look under the base plate and find the Gillette logo. On one side of the handle will be a capital letter, other side is a number between 1 & 4. That's the manufacture date code.

If you have stuck bits or crud, give it a soak in hot water and Dawn dish liquid. An old tooth brush is plenty aggressive to clean off stuck on soap scum. Should you wish for deeper cleaning, ultrasonic jewellery cleaning machines or Scrubbing Bubbles (I haven't used this - isn't there one that's OK, another not so much?).

If anything is sticky, mineral oil or baby oil dripped down the center tube & up from the bottom knob helps lubricate and may assist in breaking up interior crud. Follow with a dish soap wash to remove oil from the outside.

9. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

You mean my Exec isn't solid gold? Son of a...

Herm

BlaydRunner, RyX, Frijolero and 4 others like this.
  10. BigMark83

That's not a Fatboy. Different knurling iirc.

Herm2502 and RyX like this.
  11. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

I have a Fatboy that I picked up at a local flea mall. It is showing slight brass in the knurling due to wear. It gives it character.

12. pcm81

pcm81 Member

Time for an update... been busy last few hours. The Fatboy did come apart... i convinced the nut to loosen... I gently sand blasted the parts and an now eletroless nickel plating them. Still need to take apart the head assembly. I might do it or skip it... I am tempted to make this a custom plate job and leave the two dials brass with no plate. What do you all think about that?

gorgo2, Hembree and RyX like this.
  13. BigMark83

That's your decision to make. I, however, would choose to replate the entire razor. Mainly due to fact that I'm under the impression the unplated brass could corrode.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    Frijolero, Hembree and RyX like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

The early ones have a couple tiny holes that let you insert a tool to unscrew the bottom nut. Not sure if the later models are threaded or crimped.
    tool.jpg
    Here's the parts breakdown, although there may be variations from Patent to manufactured units.
    fatboy patent.jpg
    You are beyond most folks skill level if you are doing your own plating. Take photos and post!
    (I'd like to learn more ;))
    It's your razor, do as you please. I'd be curious to see to see a Fat Boy stripped of nickel. My old NEW Long Comb lost all it's plating, but it looks great when I shine up the brass.

brit, Frijolero, gorgo2 and 1 other person like this.
  15. pcm81

pcm81 Member

I already have many parts plated, so you won't see it completely without nickel. However i am planning to leave the 2 dials stripped.

brit, Frijolero, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  16. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

Several folks on this forum have razors whose parts are plated with different metals; it can look really good. But I do think the unplanted brass will tarnish. Some people like that look, or of course you could keep it polished.

brit, Frijolero, RyX and 1 other person like this.
  17. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

If the razor finish is grungy and you want it to look shiny and new, why not send it to Razor Emporium for restoration?

Frijolero and Hembree like this.
  18. pcm81

pcm81 Member

brit, Frijolero and RyX like this.
  19. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

brit and Frijolero like this.
  20. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

They are brass. What specific alloy I wouldn't know but they should be a low zinc composition like the ones used for water pipes or musical instruments.

brit and Hembree like this.