Poll: What are the TWO things you look for in a razor? (ignore poll title)

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by gorgo2, Feb 10, 2019.

?

What is the #1 thing that most appeals to you in the razors you enjoy?

1. History or tradition

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  2. Cost

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  3. Availability

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Reliability

9 vote(s)
    20.9%
  5. Versatility

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  6. Quality of manufacture

11 vote(s)
    25.6%
  7. Appearance/styling

3 vote(s)
    7.0%
  8. Modern manufacture (not vintage)

2 vote(s)
    4.7%
  9. Comfort

10 vote(s)
    23.3%
  10. Shave quality

22 vote(s)
    51.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Before opening the thread, I said comfort. All razors will shave, but a razor that will provide a nice comfortable shave is all I really want.

Most of mine are vintage with modern handles, so of the available choices I guess I would say reliability.

BigMark83, gorgo2, brit and 3 others like this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

Sorry, i really didn't have time to read all the responses. I'll go read them later.
    But the biggest reason for me will be shave quality and comfort.
    I've said many times, if I'd have tried a Progess first, I wouldn't have a collection of razors.
    But i didn't, and I have a 50+ bunch. I have nearly ignored them all since the rockwell 6s. The shave isn't my closest, but the feel of use and the comfortable dfs's it produces have me reaching for it repeatedly.
    I keep thinking that with better technique, I can replicate the results. So far, I can't really say im disappointed in the razor. But many others give me better shaves. Some not as comfy, but certainly closer.
    Wonder if rockwell will ever make a plate 7-8 to rival the fatip, r41 lovers?

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    wristwatchb, gorgo2, brit and 2 others like this.
  3. william beer

william beer Well-Known Member

Quality and comfort are my two most important and then next is versatility (adjustability). Didn't see comfort (ie smooth and irritation free) on the list.

gorgo2, macaronus and Frijolero like this.
  4. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

This was a difficult choice. I chose quality of manufacture, as that encompassed the most other choices. Quality will lead to reliability, a good appearance, and history as well. The junk manufacture of 60 years ago was mostly thrown away 55 years ago. The quality products endure. This is where the perpetual myth that things were better made in days gone by comes from. If we could go back 10,000 years, there would be an old cave man, belly up to the boulder, saying "You call that flint knapping? In my day we had REAL flint knapping!"

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    gorgo2, RyX and Frijolero like this.
  5. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

And his nickname would be "Fuzzy" of course. :taunt002:

gorgo2, RyX and canoeroller like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

i have one question about quality.most of my gillettes are near nos or lightly used.they have sat preserved in someones drawer or collectors cabinet for70+ years...while they are all i have for shaving and only for the last couple of years i really look after them..is there anyone here who has used ie a fatboy/slim /tech since it was available new in the stores and has used it until recently or still does and does it need a replate or is it worn out ie tto? the lions share of most vintage gillettes are gone already..

gorgo2, RyX and Frijolero like this.
  7. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

Where exactly does performance, i.e. quality of shave, fit in on your list?

8. RyX

RyX DoH!

NOBODY expects the a poll with so many options! Our chief razor quality is reliability...reliability and quality...quality and reliability.... Our two weapons are quality and reliability...and ruthless efficiency.... Our *three* weapons are quality, reliability, and ruthless efficiency...and an almost fanatical devotion to the King Gillette.... Our *four*...no... *Amongst* our razors.... Amongst our razors...are such elements as quality, reliability.... I'll come in again.

gorgo2, Frijolero and brit like this.
  9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Good call! Adding it.

RyX, Frijolero and brit like this.
  10. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Hmmm...

Frijolero and brit like this.
  11. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Because I didn't think of it...I tend to associate comfort more with the blade then with the razor. But since maybe that's just me, I'm adding it in.

12. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Poll choices have been updated, and you now have the option of voting for your top TWO factors. Knock yourselves out.

RyX, Frijolero and brit like this.
  13. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Performance

Frijolero, brit and gorgo2 like this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Versatility and Appearance are my choices.

15. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

okay, I chose Shave Quality (performance)

Frijolero, gorgo2 and brit like this.
  16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Shave quality?

Frijolero, brit and John Beeman like this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Stupid but this kind of compares with picking your science fiction weapon of choice.

●Trek TOS phaser (versatility)
    ●SW blaster (effectiveness)
    ●Lightsaber (efficiency)

Gimme a phaser any day of the week. It can do pretty much anything the other two can, but they can't do everything a phaser can.

18. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

In the hands of the user?

brit and gorgo2 like this.
  19. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Since we can now pick 2 choices, Im going to have to go reliability and quality. I want the blade to fit in it straight without having to fiddle with aligning the blade and I expect the razor to last for years.
    Thats why, as much as I cringed at the price of it, Im glad that I bought a Timeless. Its expensive, yes but the craftsmanship of it is unquestionable and it should outlast me.

gorgo2, Frijolero and brit like this.
  20. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I think that some people have fears over bacteria and dieseases with vintage razors. Even though viruses cant survive outside the body for more than 24 hours, some people are just grossed out by it.
    Ive got vintage razors and Ive got some new ones. Both are great.

Keithmax, RyX, gorgo2 and 2 others like this.