The Stirling Exchange

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by PickledNorthern, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Linuxguile

Linuxguile dating an unusual aristocrat

SOTD February 11th
    [​IMG]

Stirling Mentholated Pre-Shave Soap
    Schick Injector Type F
    Personna
    Maseto Shaving Classic (30mm, Cruiser Class)
    Stirling Haverford soap and AS
    Stirling Glacial Unscented PSB
    I realized that there was still one more scent from my Stirling Black Friday order that I haven't tried yet, Haverford. Sweet tobacco and vanilla and STRONG! Opening the soap tub quickly made the bathroom smell like my grandpa was smoking a cigar near by. A nice heavy load with the poor mans Chubby 3 had me a bowl full of lather that looked like melted chocolate ice cream. I finished with Stirling Glacial Unscented PSB followed by a very light application of the Haverford AS, which I can still smell quite strongly 5 hours later. Have a great day my friends!

2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

John, I'm gravitating a bit towards woody scents, as well as men's colognes(of which Doc Ezlovan has a nice lineup, as we know). Have a look at the second review of the aftershave, on the website. I must say, that impressed me. But we have 4 more to go :).

3. Linuxguile

These were delivered on Saturday.
    [​IMG]

Hipster is not what I was imagining in the slightest. Is is not dark at all but rather bright and clean. It is a very citrus forward scent, and that citrus is most definitely grapefruit. Amber is also present on the top along with a light floral scent. The other notes blend into a nice light slightly woodsy base. I'm so glad I jumped on this one!

British leather... I was expecting a little more then just leather. Maybe this one will transform a little once lathered, otherwise not my cup of tea.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

4. john zeiger

john zeiger Well-Known Member

I read the review you suggested Paul. I do like cedarwood and sandalwood but don't think I've ever tried agarwood. Maybe I'll order a sample and see it how smells to me and of course the ultimate decision maker - my wife, in these (and almost all) matters:).

5. Paul Turner

About the British Leather-"just leather"(your words) works for me :). On Hipster, I have an issue with grapefruit, due to a health issue. From what I know, grapefruit CONSUMPTION is a problem, however I must say I'd have to check with my neurologist about using it on the skin.

6. Paul Turner

Yes. She goes first, then get back to me. :).

7. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Discussing Tuscany reminded me that it had not been out for a while.
    Gave the shave soap and AS a whirl yesterday. The Lovely Mrs Headroom commented "wow, I really like that".
    For anyone still in 'the wild' give that one a trial on aisle 12.

I got a few sample AS's on my recent order. I have similar reactions to those of Andrew.

Haverford to me comes across as a nice 'clean' vanilla-tobacco that does not ring of ashtrays. I'm gonna take the test drive, but its probably not my style. If you are a tobacco - vanilla fan, yeah you need it.

Hipster surprised me as well. Pleasant, but maybe a little more dress up/formal than I am normally. Further evaluation required.

I have Sandalwood SS (which I like) and figured I'd try the AS. I think that one has to get a good test to see if it moves forward in the aftershave lineup.

I also got Pharaoh's Dreamsicle. Nice, but hard to beat Glacial Lemony Orange or Satsuma if I want orangey citrus. The musk is a nice touch.

Got Stirling One and Stirling Green bath soaps. Oooooh, now I regret not grabbing some of the aftershaves from the Black Friday runs.

Be well!

8. Paul Turner

Gonna write some reviews on the website section, Mr. Cawtuh?

9. ezlovan

ezlovan Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    good choice. Very underrated scent. Likely because I chose a horrible name for it.

10. Paul Turner

Thanks.
    I don't know what is "horrible" about it....never heard the word/name before.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2019
  11. Linuxguile

Most people know the scent as Oud.

12. Paul Turner

Ohhhh...I made that connection from the description(Oud)....perhaps googling Agar would solve the issue.

13. Paul Turner

Could Haverford be the "New Gentleman"? I'd say almost, but isn't there supposed to be a chocolaty sense to H? That isn't in Gentleman.

14. brit

brit in a box

15. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I think Gentlemen was the one that prompted The Lovely Mrs Headroom to ask if I was going to shave or lick the ashtrays. I know some folks like it, but it went for a ride in the frankensoap bin here.
    There was not that reaction on Haverford. More like a sweet vanilla pipe tobacco. Not smoked yet. Not sure about chocolate.

I'd venture to say Gentlemen fans might add, but won't jump ship for Haverford.

16. Linuxguile

I didn't get any chocolate scent from Haverford, but the soap is dark brown in color and when lathered it resembles chocolate ice cream.

Sent from my Galaxy using Tapatalk

17. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD February 12, 2019
    Alphabetical journey through soaps and creams
    Letter S

Prep: Cold water and Stirling mentholated pre-shave soap
    Blade: Schick
    Razor: PAL Adjustable
    Brush: JR #142 black badger
    Soap: Stirling Piacenza

Terrific shave with Piacenza today. Really enjoy this scent. Have a great day!

SOTD 2-12-19.jpg

brit, Shadow Shaver, ezlovan and 6 others like this.
  18. Paul Turner

li'l brudder brush ready to go to work for me tomorrow :). Next soap will be Spice(with Spice A.S.)-set for the beginning of next week. I need to cut back on the A.S. a bit next time-maybe just slap it on(like Jack Palance did in his ad for Skin Bracer)instead of massage it in.

19. Paul Turner

I only tried the Gentleman A.S. Nice smell, no ashtray sensation(perhaps the latter comes out more in the soap-although I shouldn't comment, as I have yet to try the soap.)

20. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

What is Piggly wiggly?

Sent from my Nokia 6.1 using Tapatalk