Vintage Florsheim restoration

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by gorgo2, Feb 13, 2019.

1. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Specialty tool, years of knowledge. Interesting video!

I've got a pair of Doc Martins that'll get the same treatment if the tops don't get too damaged as the bottoms wear out.

3. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

I remember lusting after a similar pair of cordovan Florsheims in the early 80s. I could never see my way into coughing up a week's pay (back then) for a pair of shoes that would take me 2 years to break in.

Had I bought them, no doubt I'd still have them.

Classy, sharp, well made. I can see why he keeps saying he loves these shoes.

Frijolero, wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  4. brit

brit in a box

had an old pair of dayton black beauties from the early eighties. resoled twice and kept em polished. lasted me 30+ years,

5. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

How is the quality of Florsheim shoes, now. Where are they made?
    The last pair of dress shoes I bought were Allen Edmonds, and the quality was spot on.

6. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Good questions.

I've looked at Florsheim safety shoes. Might try a pair one day.

Frijolero and wristwatchb like this.
  7. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I have 2 pair of Florsheim. One a Derby and one a wing tip.
    Both bought within the last year. I also got the rubber instead of leather, just for more shock absorbing..
    I have a pair of loafers and j can't hardly wear them out. No noticable difference in quality that I can tell.

8. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Don't know if it is true but read recently that this style (brogues) was intended to be more casual than dressy. I had always figured them as dressier shoes.

wristwatchb and Edison Carter like this.
  9. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

That is the same thing I learned as well.
    Wingtips and brouges are less casual.
    The less embellishments a particular item has, the fancier it is supposed to be.

Great channel on youtube about it is "The Gentleman's Gazette"

gorgo2, wristwatchb and Edison Carter like this.
  10. AGHisBBS

AGHisBBS Well-Known Member

Great post! I too have been watching all of the videos from Bebo's. I like to see a craftsman at work and Steve is super positive.

Edison Carter and wristwatchb like this.
  11. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I was fortunate to have a pair of black Florsheim wingtip safety shoes. I worked for a company that even required desk jockeys to have safety shoes. They were fantastic shoes and were deceptively comfortable. The wore like iron and looked great when polished. I had them resoled once, and it made them as good as new. I finally passed them on and replaced them with new safety shoes. Except for the added weight of the steel toes, I wish I still had them. I have no doubt someone is still wearing and enjoying them.

I loved the video. I have an appreciation for things that are well made and for skilled artisans like the gent in the video. I have some 30-year old Cowboy boots that I may send to him for a refresh.