*DONE* PIF - Strop Shoppe Baker Street soap

Discussion in 'Freebies' started by PLAla, Feb 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

It's part of what I love about DC.

brit and PLAla like this.
  2. GatorJoe

GatorJoe Well-Known Member

I’m in! Thanks @PLAla
    9 years ago my sister called me to offer her son’s ( my nephew ‘s) ‘94 Nissan Hardbody pickup truck to my then 16 year-old son free of charge. All we had to do was drive from our home in Florida to hers in Georgia and pick it up. My son and I had a great 3-day road trip and visit and memories for a lifetime. My son drove that car all through college until he graduated and took a dream job in Long Beach California. He let me pay the car forward and we gave the truck to his friend from high school. That truck was nicknamed the wolverine. I love this story.

PLAla likes this.
  3. BaylorGator

BaylorGator MISTER Fancypants

I should not be in. Soap reduction is my goal this year. Still, I do have a Stirling Baker St. AS that needs a match. Still, I should not be in...

OK, I’m in.

As far as selfless acts go, my music minister comes to mind. He recruited me for the Chior in 5th grade and has been there for me my whole life. Heartbreaking breakup with a serious relationship? He was there giving advice. Struggling with a serious business problem? He randomly shows up at my work saying he knew I needed prayer and encouragement. No matter what, for 40+ years he has been there for me. Recently his health has been deteriorating and the shoe is on the other foot. I’d consider it a success if I could give back even a fraction of what he has given me.

PLAla and Paul Turner like this.
  4. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

I’m in, Perry. I’d really like to try this unobtanium classic.

As for selfless acts, a story that I like to tell is from years ago when my son was in Kindergarten. His teacher was in her last year of teaching. One Friday that year, my son came home from school and said “Mrs Maher is coming to my hockey game this weekend”. He left the room and I said to my wife that I think he is going to be disappointed. She asked why. I said that a number of kids in his class played, but that they all played on the same team except for our son. I thought she announced to the class that she would come to their game and he thought it was for his team.
    Anyway, the next morning came and we drove to the arena for an early morning game. I knew the other team that the kids played on played later in the day, so I thought that maybe she might pop in at the end. I was sitting in the stands watching the warm up and in walked Mrs Maher, aged 65 or so, with two coffees in her hands, one for me and one for her. She HAD come just to see him play, because she said she would. She sat with me and watched the entire game. I got 2 hours of fantastic stories as well. She even waited for a few minutes after the game to say Hi to him.
    To this day, he idolizes her.

brit, Paul Turner and PLAla like this.
  5. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

You're in! That is a terrific story, Jason! It reminds me that we have so much influence as a teacher, and not just on our subject matter. Really what we are teaching is secondary, in my opinion, to how we are teaching it and how hard we try to develop relationships with the students. It's challenging but I applaud Mrs. Maher and all the teachers out there who give their lives to teaching the next generation.

BaylorGator and jtspartan like this.
  6. PLAla

Wonderful sentiment, Randy! You're in. Thanks for sharing.

7. PLAla

Thanks for sharing, Joe! You're in.

8. PLAla

@GatorJoe and @BaylorGator

Not sure how this Alabama fan feels about two Gator fans wanting my soap! ;)

Good luck and Roll Tide!

9. BaylorGator

As far as soaps go, you can keep the Tide, Perry. I’ll take the Strop Shoppe! Go Gators!

PLAla likes this.
  10. PLAla

Last call! Get your name in if you'd like to entered for the PIF.

I will draw the winner tonight around 8:30pm Central time. Good luck!

11. Paul Turner

Oh wow...I'll be here to see what happens. :). I'm in, but thanx for the reminder just the same.

PLAla likes this.
  12. Paul Turner

How about me-I'm a CRIMSON fan, but there ain't no TIDE at Harvard(but for those who use it to wash clothes-chuk yuk yuk yukeroo).

PLAla likes this.
  13. Paul Turner

What's Milo's.....burger joint near your high school?

PLAla likes this.
  14. PLAla

It's a Birmingham based fast food restaurant. Started in the late 1940s by a WWII veteran. There are several locations now but not one real close to where I work. Wonderful hamburgers with a dark brown sauce. Not BBQ sauce but some kind of savory goodness that's incredible. Their sweet tea is incredibly famous in these parts and is sold by the gallon in the grocery stores. Anyone who lives around here knows Milo's very well.

Paul Turner likes this.
  15. Paul Turner

Thanks-interesting.

PLAla likes this.
  16. Paul Turner

I think there was a baseball announcer for the Pirates named Milo Hamilton....he followed the legendary Bob Prince. "Hello everyone, Mahlo Hamiltn here and welcome to Pahrates baseball". I wasn't a Pahrate fan, but I thought Clemente's death was tragic. I guess he could have gone on 4 or 5 more years. I'll have to google Milo Hamilton and see if I'm right.

PLAla likes this.
  17. BaylorGator

OK, I’m out. Too many soaps; too little time.

PLAla likes this.
  18. Paul Turner

That's my issue too...but I'll be happy to win this one(if I do).

PLAla likes this.
  19. PLAla

You sure, Randy?

20. Paul Turner

Update-he broadcast for 7 MLB teams-Pirates were one of them. I'd say Milo was legendary himself.

PLAla likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.