February 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 31, 2019.

?

What favorites will you be using this month?

1. My favorite DE other than a Fatboy!

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. My Fatboy - because it's AWESOME!!

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Another adjustable - because it's almost as AWESOME as the Fatboy!

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. A straight razor or two or three - because the Dark Side and I are one!

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  5. SE razors - because they are the coolest and vintagiest of all the vintages!

19 vote(s)
    41.3%
  6. Mostly cookies. Maybe some cake. And ice cream when I can get it!

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Sorry it got all of you, Andrew. You survived until they all got it, eh? I recall a bad flu bug hit my college in my first year there. I hung around with 3 other guys I really liked. We weren't a "clique" because we liked people different than us, too. Anyway, one night the other three(including my room-mate)all had it, and I remained healthy. My recollection is I did survive it. Maybe some of the others were just coming out of it. Hope your family gets better ASAP.

2. brit

brit in a box

thank you sir..

Hembree, clint64, Norcalnewb and 4 others like this.
  3. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

No fun! Best wishes and prayers for a quick recovery for all.

wristwatchb, Hembree, clint64 and 8 others like this.
  4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :eatdrink020:

Hembree, clint64, Norcalnewb and 5 others like this.
  5. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Patrick, the Rockwell brush is synthetic. It is a very good brush and it costs $15.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
  6. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Okay, PAA fans, help me answer a question!

I am looking to get a soap and splash set of PAA Dixie, which is a re-release of a scent made for a meet-up a few years back. The group is called the Dirty South Shavers, which is a Facebook shaving group that I'm a member of. Wonderful, laid-back group.

Anyway, my question is should I spring for the CK-6 base or save $10 and get the CK-1 base? It's offered in both but the CK-6 formula is more expensive.

I know there was some debate on here recently about those soap bases. Not trying to make anyone choose sides or open a can of worms! Just looking for a few pointers on which of those to choose.

This will be my first PAA purchase. Thanks!

Terry, wristwatchb, Paul76 and 13 others like this.
  7. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

I think the CK6 is a little better. Ten dollars better? The CK1 is very good and I don't think you would be disappointed. Although the extra ten bucks gets you closer to free shipping.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Terry, wristwatchb, Hembree and 8 others like this.
  8. PLAla

Saw an ad earlier today that First Class shipping is now only $3.95 flat rate.

Thanks for the info on the bases!

wristwatchb, Paul76, Hembree and 9 others like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Well, my parents taught me what was right, and as I grew up and witnessed "The times, they are a changin" I just realized for myself...."not for me".

wristwatchb, Paul76, Hembree and 8 others like this.
  10. RyX

RyX DoH!

Thank you Patrick & Jim!

Time and place for them, but not often this far south. Before Charlie @wristwatchb asks - No, never in a parade with a G-string. :cool:

Paul76, Hembree, wristwatchb and 9 others like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

PAA doppelganger black was my first purchase of their products..i was intrigued by reviews by @120inna55 and ruds shaves on the tube. their products are harder to get here.. also i am leaning towards shaving sets as i like and wear colognes/edt most of the time..PAA a/s lasts quite a while .i am not a tallow vs vegan guy as i have and enjoy both types of soaps/creams with great performance. the ck-6 black soap and splash/cologne are great and i would repurchase them when these run out, maybe a different scent or not..i am good at telling a good soap from bad ,but not between upgrades of products unless they sucked to begin with..luckily i had very few bad ones as i review/research most products here before purchase. --lathers very well,very slick but not fluffy, good coverage, doesn't dissipate, great post shave feeling..lovely scent ..hope it helps a little..

Terry, wristwatchb, Paul76 and 14 others like this.
  12. Paul Turner

Tombstone and Home On The Range would be my choices for a first purchase from them,

13. Killerflyingbugs

Killerflyingbugs Well-Known Member

Todays shave was with my new to me star de, not a fan of this razor/blade combo. Not a bad shave just seemed to be too much work for an bbs. I will try again with different blades in future. I do like the handle.

Cold water rinse
    Sterling frankincense and myrrh
    Perfecto brush
    Star de razor
    Alum
    Witch hazel
    Cooling post shave

I do love the frankincense scent it is woody and resiny.
    It is on my short list of favorite soap scents.
    I was going to go back to my bar handle teck but since I got a few more razors and it is favorite Feb i am gonna keep trying out the new razors. I need to find my favorite razor right. I feel another relapse or RAD coming on. Maybe get a SE razor? I am having tons of fun with this.

Terry, wristwatchb, Paul76 and 12 others like this.
  14. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Tuesday Shave:

In addition to continuing my efforts to finish off this tub of Crowne and Crane the theme of the week is European artisans.

Irritation A+ Closeness A Smoothness A+ Sharpness A

Razor: Koraat 7/8 half hollow
    Strop: Herold Russian leather
    Brush: Yaqi Space
    Pre: Nivea
    Soap: Crowne and Crane
    AS: Enhanced Florida Water AS, Speick ASB
    Scent: Knize Ten

IMG_6103 (1).jpg

Terry, wristwatchb, Paul76 and 14 others like this.
  15. Trigger

Andrew, praying for a quick recovery for you and your family.

Terry, wristwatchb, Hembree and 7 others like this.
  16. Trigger

Keith, nice looking razor and great shave!

Hembree, Keithmax, Linuxguile and 6 others like this.
  17. Trigger

Yes, it is fun, but sometimes we do go overboard! Lol!

Hembree, clint64, brit and 4 others like this.
  18. PLAla

Nice shaves!

19. Norcalnewb

Norcalnewb Magnanimous Moos

I like both bases, Perry. And, I will admit that it is quite possible that I just made another purchase from them. I didn't spring for the CK6 this time around, just the CK1. Perhaps I will do a focus on PAA soaps soon and see how much of a difference there is, but to me the biggest difference is in post shave feel. The CK6 has the CK1 base topped in this category. The CK6 is a bit easier to get to the right lather consistency for me, as well. Both are good performers, though. I don't think you will be disappointed in either.

Terry, wristwatchb, Paul76 and 10 others like this.
  20. PLAla

Thank you, Jim!

Hembree, Norcalnewb, clint64 and 3 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.