What are you waiting on to arrive...?

Discussion in 'Show and tell' started by Darkbulb, Feb 17, 2014.

1. brit

brit in a box

would the stamping process account for the corner reliefs as well. ? thank you for your efforts with this..

2. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Gold plated or washed head is not the same as an all gold razor. The copper would have been a base layer for the gold plate to stick to. Whether it was made for military or not they sold both gold and non gold heads with plastic handles for civilian sales at 2 different prices between 43 - 45. The color scheme is actually a pre war thing started as the new ebony and gold tech razor during Christmas of 41. I can see not using nickel if it wouldn't stick to the base metal. For civilian stuff I have no idea when they weren't gold plate whether it was nickel or that grey steel with black cap when sold for civilian use in 43 - 45.

When I get to it I have a whole bunch of literature I need to format and organize on the Techs that I will post.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    RyX, CastleShave and brit like this.
  3. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

Yes

brit likes this.
  4. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

@brit here is a Canadian Tech for you to go search out if you don't have it. This is a wartime one made for the civilian market in at least 44. Unless that drawing is wrong, I've never seen that style handle on a Tech before.
    Ctech44ad.jpg

5. brit

brit in a box

that's the brit /french bakelite handle..very cool..i think @jimjo1031 has one..thank you..

RyX and jimjo1031 like this.
  6. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

That ad stood out so I saved a copy because of the handle. I've never seen it on a Canadian Tech before.

CastleShave and brit like this.
  7. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

I have one as well. Mine actually has a ferrous baseplate. SOTD with photos

8. brit

brit in a box

canada being part of the commonwealth maybe it was easier to ship bakelite handles here from england than make them,,have only seen canadian military prewars with fat or 4 piece handles and nothing in bakelite..

SHAVEWIZARD420 and CastleShave like this.
  9. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

The one I have has that type of handle with a British metal head. Those handles were originally made in 1940. The handles were re-introduced in 1944.

1940 (K2 on blade) french bakelite Tech set No25.JPG

10. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

They also sold some in Canada in 45 during WWII that I saw with the same plastic handles as on the US wartime Techs.

edit

The ad picture looking at it now is drawn too poorly to say one way or the other. Upon furthur looking that style handle shows up in pretty much all the ads from 44 to Sept of 45 for the Canadian Techs when they the retailers show them. Once the war ends so does the ads with techs with those handles.

brit likes this.
  11. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

That makes sense. As I understand it, the copper plating of the steel would have been required before any other plating. I believe that nickel will plate to the copper, but it might have been easier to just go with the gold instead.

Linuxguile and brit like this.
  12. brit

brit in a box

that is a very cool razor.. i think @jimjo1031 just score one as well..

jimjo1031 likes this.
  13. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

Same as mine, but my head made in England.

Linuxguile and brit like this.
  14. brit

brit in a box

1946 Bakelite Tech England Set No 00 H from Jody Renaldo.jpg and this one..

SHAVEWIZARD420, jimjo1031 and Enrico like this.
  15. Laird

Laird Well-Known Member

I'm waiting for a U.S. post war ball end Tech that's on it's way from the Netherlands. Pretty common item but I like them and the price was right. Also waiting on a lot that has among other things, a single ring with (purportedly) straight teeth and no handle cracks and a short comb NEW with bar handle and also with straight teeth. I have a s.c. NEW but without it's original handle. The baseplate has the smaller cutout so my spare common bar handles from Long Combs don't fit. I use it with a solid ball end Tech handle or sometimes a Tech fat handle but I prefer correct pairings and originality whenever possible so I'm quite stoked to have one on the way.
    Yes, there will be photos when the Tech arrives........I know you're all anxious to get a look at it. :lyrtuy5:

16. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

:happy096: Techs are awesome!!

dmshaver and brit like this.
  17. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Ad says plastic.

brit likes this.
  18. brit

brit in a box

for all the love i have for my crats and rockets, i really like techs history and shaves the more i research and use them..they came from the new oc and are the real gillette work horses..

19. brit

brit in a box

plastic it is..bakelite was called plastic then maybe..

20. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

Hehe or it's plastic :) . Plastic certainly was a thing.

Enrico and brit like this.