A Pair from Sheffield Restored by GarythePenman

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by xChris, Apr 14, 2007.

1. xChris

xChris Member

Here's a couple more straight razors that I've had restored by one of our forumites -- Gary the Penman -- with the gift and skill to breathe life into old and tired steel.

The photos below will show you what I sent him, then the inital clean-up of the blades, and finally a set of scales for each crafted by Gary.

So, here's what he had to work with initially. They were definitely in need of some TLC, but I knew he could bring out their beauty...

Attached Files:

2. xChris

xChris Member

When Gary got the razors, he sent me an e-mail with these photos attached to show the restoration underway.

I was quite impressed with his progress...

Attached Files:

3. xChris

xChris Member

Finally, here are the photos of the finished scales and blades. I've given them a honing, and will be trying them out to see if I've got the edge right yet.

I really like the choice/combinations of wood and spacer colors, and the shape of each scale pair with the blades' profiles.

Specs:

Razor #1--
    B. Worth & Son
    5/8 in. width
    Square point
    Black maire wood scales with green perspex spacer

Razor #2--
    Haddon
    5/8 in. width
    Round point
    Asian cinnamon wood scales with yellow perspex spacer

Attached Files:

4. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

WOW - they look GREAT, Chris, congratulations! :drool

5. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Chris !

Your killing me with your straights you know that dont you ! wow you must have some collection by now .

Hope you will do a special show someday showing off all your collections here

hope they shave as great as you want them to be. and thank you for pm me the other day it does help to get encouragments from fellow straight razors we are def. a unique breed. :rofl
    There is nothing else like it when you shave with a straight an experience you will only find out by going straight ? :D

ENJOY !

6. Padron

Padron Active Member

Very Nice,

I love Gary's work, Congrats! :D

7. xChris

xChris Member

At least that's what your avatar says! ICE AXE :D

I almost pulled the trigger on that one, but couldn't justify the expense at the time. At least I get to look at it every once in awhile. :rofl

8. mrcleanhead

mrcleanhead Member

Great work and nice pics! Congrats. Gary has made me very poor. ;)

Btw, where did you get those razors Chris? Very nice.

John

9. xChris

xChris Member

Got both of these through eBay. I'd like to do some restoration myself, but I just don't have the time or facilities at the moment. Luckily we have a few craftsmen among ourselves that are up to the task. :happy036

10. garythepenman

garythepenman New Member

Thanks Chris, I'm lucky that my mentor is Bill Ellis a true master.

Gary

11. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Chris, those are real beauts. Gary, nice work!

12. mrcleanhead

mrcleanhead Member

Gary, are the asian cinnamon scales the natural color? Oh, btw, I never see your restoration work up for sale anymore? Are you flat out with straight users' restorations like these? (Not that I need to be tempted.)

John

13. Joe C

Joe C New Member

As always, Gary does lovely work.

14. Bill

Bill Man of Steel

I think it is absolutely great that Gary may have taken a little bit of information from me and gone so far with it. I can't take credit for his talent, however. He is really becoming a true craftsman. I especially enjoy seeing the success and progress our students of restoration are making. As long as none of us start sanding out initials like "FDR" from the scales, we're good. :D

15. coolsimon

coolsimon New Member

very nice...

good to see you again gary, and nice to see the work your putting out , top notch as always...

hope to get back to the restoration side of things soon myself...all this painting and decorating is getting real old...lol

regards,simon::