Rolls

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Robert1955, Feb 20, 2019.

1. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Can anyone gimme some info on this Rolls I bought, still awaiting delivery but I have enclosed a photo of the razor.
    My main question is in regard to the case, most cases I have seen state the model..ie: No1. Or No3 etc, so any info on that would be great, I already know ( well I think I do ) the date... 1933...from the stamp on the spare blade, correct me if I am wrong please.

Robert.

Attached Files:

Hodge likes this.
  2. kfbrady

kfbrady Well-Known Member

3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I can't help you there. Mine is from 1953. If the blade is in good shape then it should be a good shaver. Hopefully the leather and stone are in good shape too.
    Congratulations.

Robert1955 likes this.
  4. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

I’d guess an Imperial #2. The 1933 on the blade is the patent application date, I believe.

Robert1955 likes this.
  5. Robert1955

There is no four digit date, just a letter "K" and a number "33", I thought the number defined the date.

Robert.

Attached Files:

6. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

I saw a Rolls razor at a local antique shop last year that, unfortunately, I just wasn't able to get. It was on;y thirty-five dollars, but appeared to be in decent condition—it even had the case with sharpening stone included. I really wish I'd been able to obtain it. Good for you on getting yours!

7. mvd

mvd Well-Known Member

It kinda depends on if the handle telescopes. Post-1930s for sure. The Waits describes advertisements from the time period as saying stainless in a brown pebble-grain hinged case as Imperial no.3.

Michael_W likes this.
  8. Steve_Keyte

Steve_Keyte Active Member

I the date is correct (i.e. pre-war) then that particular set is known as the 'No 3' model, which, if all original should be a "finest stainless metal case. A spare blade is supplied. In a mottled brown box" this unit was priced at £1-17-6 in January 1939 according to advertising literature I have supplied by Rolls, here's a copy of the pre-war leaflet:

Steve

Attached Files:

Frijolero and Michael_W like this.
  9. Robert1955

Thanks very much Steve, it does appear to be the model you mentioned, having looked closer, it carries a stamped "3" on the case.
    I would like to clean up the box which I thought was leather...and still not sure if it is or not. Any mottiling has long since dissapeared, would you know what the covering is ?, Or how best to rejuivinate it.

Robert.

Michael_W likes this.
  10. Steve_Keyte

Hi Robert,
    The one case of this type I have, which is in poor condition and therefore I can examine the construction, seem to be some sort of compressed laminated board type material making up the actual case, which the exterior of which is covered by a thin material which would appear to be some sort of thick textured paper, I can confirm that it isn't leather!
    I have cleaned one case up using a barely damp cloth to wipe of surface dirt, but don't get to too damp as it isn't waterproof, allow it to dry and then give it a very light coat of brown wax shoe polish (the solid type in round tins - not the modern silicone based sponge on stuff) and buff it up, I've found this covers the worst of any scuffing, but obviously this is only cosmetic and if there if severe damage to the case then this light restoration technique won't help a great deal.

Steve

Michael_W likes this.
  11. Robert1955

Again..Thanks, very useful information.

Robert.

brit likes this.
  12. Steve_Keyte

I may be wrong, but I think the the '3' stamped on the covers is the version of the Imperial you have, I have examples of all three, but I've only seen this stamping on Imperial '2' razors, the more conclusive way to identify which version of Imperial you have is to look at the gear track in the frame, there are obvious differences between the '1', '2' and '3' variants, details of which are in the 'what is' and 'how to' thread on the Rolls razor,

Steve

brit and Robert1955 like this.