February 2019 30 Day Rule/Focus Pix & Discussion

Discussion in 'Shower or Shave of the Day' started by NCoxSTL, Jan 31, 2019.

?

What favorites will you be using this month?

1. My favorite DE other than a Fatboy!

20 vote(s)
    43.5%
  2. My Fatboy - because it's AWESOME!!

8 vote(s)
    17.4%
  3. Another adjustable - because it's almost as AWESOME as the Fatboy!

10 vote(s)
    21.7%
  4. A straight razor or two or three - because the Dark Side and I are one!

14 vote(s)
    30.4%
  5. SE razors - because they are the coolest and vintagiest of all the vintages!

19 vote(s)
    41.3%
  6. Mostly cookies. Maybe some cake. And ice cream when I can get it!

17 vote(s)
    37.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Then stay out of this place! It’s wonderful.
    https://www.mikespastry.com

2. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

February Favorites!!

February 20 - Moon Soap Review #3

Razor - 1947 Gillette Super Speed
    Blade - sharp-star.jpg
    Soap - Moon Old School Tallow Shave Soap
    Brush - Omega 10601 Boar
    Post - Alum

I'm not even going to pretend to be caught up today but I'll work on it. Another long day. Big bosses in town tomorrow and the reason is interesting. I won't go into gory details but I'll just say that their reason is something I've been harping on for, oh, about two years if not a bit more. My frustration level with the company has been boiling right at my limit for quite some time, leading me to develop an exit strategy that is due to go into full effect in the next 45 days or so. However, if they do what they seem to be thinking, I may have to put my exit on hold and see where it goes. Anyway, the store is ready and I'm as ready as I'll ever be. I have no particular respect for the "higher ups". Never have, never will, so putting them in close proximity with me is always a gamble. :scared001:

Back to the Moon Old School tonight with boar brush. I did change out to my '47 Super Speed. What a great little razor this thing is. It was replated a couple years ago so it looks fantastic and shaves just as well. The boar brush had no issues loading off of the Moon soap, though it took a bit longer than either the badger or synthetic. Nothing terribly surprising about that. Other than that, no issues and a three pass shave brought the baby in the house. Nice finish to a hectic day. Have a great Thursday gents! I'll let you know tomorrow if I survived......if the brass survived.......and if there's still a store standing.

February 20 2019.jpg

3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Bosses or cannoli? You are The Guy who stands between the customer and the cash register. Be great if they'd pay attention to your hands on experience. Good luck with the confrontation!
    Cannoli from Boston? They ship Next Day Air...:drool:

4. RyX

RyX DoH!

February Favorites; New & Old!

Proraso Single Blade Cypress & Vetyver sample
    B-400 APShaveCo Tuxedo synthetic brush
    Osaka Suribachi bowl and warm water
    Stahly Live Blade head, Gillette bar handle
    Feather Hi-Stainless Platinum blade
    Clubman Reserve Whiskey Woods AS
    SOTD 02202019 Proraso 1B C&V.gif If I was into shave creams Proraso's Single Blade just might be jumping into my favorites slot. It lathers well, doesn't dissipate, has great glide & wonderful residual slickness. The scent is quite nice too. Took a snurdle on a ride in a warmed up bowl and it didn't seem to mind the heat. Before I commit to purchasing a 9.5 ounce bag (meh, I'd prefer a different format) I'd also like to sniff the other two scents. Performed a decapitation on the Live Blade and frankenrazored it to a more or less period correct handle. Both using Imperial threads they meshed and held tight. The Stahly tops are decent though many vintage handles have sprung springs. Mine's fully functional for 3000 VPM but tis a clunky beast. Combining the relatively mild cap & base with a sharp blade gives me a decent reduction. Three passes, enough lather for fiddly clean up passes, too. High DFS that qualifies for NBBS with no irritation. Yup a seldom used Favorite razor here. When Gillette was selling Fat Boys for $1.95 a Stahly would set you back ten times that price. Funny thing is Stahly's still sell for about the same today.
    Good Shaves Y'all!

5. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Thank you Clint , Jim, Jim , and Charlie.

6. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Thanks Andrew

7. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

It was a great plan.

[​IMG]

Video at my youtube "Shaving with Fuzzy"

8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You win the awesome award....proceed along the path...

9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Great shave and photo, Rick. Informative write up too!

10. wristwatchb

Good luck with your meeting today, Neal. I hope things go well. Looks like you're prepped and ready all the way around.

11. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Yes. I used a soft cotton cloth. Buff it on gently and then buff it of.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

Great shave Rick. I have the Cypress & Vetiver and agree the big bag is too much. I wish the would over the single blade in normal sized tubes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. wristwatchb

I assume the bag is intended for use with some type of commercial (barber shop) dispenser? I'd consider it if I really liked the product and I could get a better price by purchasing a larger quantity. I'd just fill a small container with it for daily use. The rest would go in the refrigerator, of course, with a sign saying Not French Onion Dip. :D

14. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

February 21st
    Razor: Blackland Vector
    Blade: Feather AC Pro (3)
    Brush: WWB/Envy Supreme White badger
    Pre-shave: Stirling Mentholated
    Soap: PAA Kiritimati CK6
    Stirling unscented witch hazel
    PAA Star Jelly unscented
    AS: PAA Kiritimati

Good morning!

I'm doing a mini rule with the CK6. The only change will be scent. Kiritimati up for today.

Three wonderfully smooth passes. Mr. Alum had nothing to report. The Vector is another razor that fits the Favorites February theme.

Have a great day! [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

15. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

Great pic and shave Jim.

16. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

I found the green Proraso to be a bit strong at first but now i absolutely love the scent. Opens sinuses too.

17. 9nein9

9nein9 Guest

This was the 1st stop on the @wchnu "Shaving with Fuzzy" tour 2019. No others dates have been released as of yet . I'm thinking the gun range would be a great location to shoot a video and a gun. 2 birds 1 brick.

18. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

SOTD February 21, 2019
    Alphabetical journey through soaps and creams
    Letter T

Prep: Cold water and Stirling mentholated pre-shave soap
    Blade: Personna
    Razor: Schick B1 repeated
    Brush: Satin Tip 'The Purest' synthetic
    Soap: Taylor of Old Bond Street Jermyn Street cream

Easy shave this morning. The TOBS cream whipped up in no time. Pretty slick and a good backdrop for the B1. Smooth and comfortable all around.

Tomorrow is a Fat shave and then one soap for letter W on Saturday and the alphabetical journey is complete. It's been fun! I'll do it again sometime. Busy day today with an event I'm hosting at our school that runs through Saturday. It starts tonight, goes all day tomorrow, and through Saturday afternoon. Lots to do!

Have a great day!

SOTD 2-21-19.jpg

19. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

Terrific shave and photo, Jim! Interested in what you surmise from your CK6 focus. I haven't bought anything from PAA yet so your info will help me hone in on the soap base.

20. jluc

jluc smelling pretty

Thanks, Patrick!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.